How much would DDR help the Power Macs?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

Oh, and a note for JYD: Due to a phenomenon called "locality of reference," caches (and large register sets) are useful almost all of the time. The only real exceptions are big streams of memory, and MaxBus has streaming instructions efficient enough to just about reach its theoretical bandwidth reading and writing those streams. It's as fast or faster than PC DDR SDRAM implementations, although it can't keep up with RDRAM.<hr></blockquote>

I don't doubt that MaxBus is the most efficient 133MHz SDR system bus in existence, but do you have any evidence that it's as fast or faster than Athlon or Pentium 4 systems w/ DDR SDRAM?

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Analogue bubblebath ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 33
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    People Please !

Must we keep blabbering on about those damb PC'S. I came to this board

to read and discuss apple related topics. All i read most of the time is

constant dribble about PC's-Mgz & PC's. I would think that being apple

users there be more sopistication in topics of discusion.

Instead some of these so-called mac-addicts crap all over the company and the products they produce. How can you people keep comparing Mac's To Pc's. Every time I read that apple is" so behind the times with there pruducts" it makes want to vomit. Its like comparing apple to freakin oranges people. Yes X86 manufacturers make fast computers

with lots of memory and all the lastest and greatest implementations,

(so freakin what) most of the time its the bleeding edge not the leading edge.

In my opinion Apple will always have an upper hand over PC hardware and software manufacturers, for the simple but less obvious reason that Apples hardware and OS is made inhouse. Take a look at PC's (breifly) One company make the OS, several other companys make the

hardware, theres a bottleneck for ya. Go and ask any system designer or engineer if it makes a difference weather they worked at the same location as the hardware developers.

Don't ya think if Apple hasn't produce any new Powermacs in the last three years that theve been working on a new product that will be completly up to date with current demands of professional users.

Just because a (NEW) so-called standard has been adopted by one

company and has used it for so-lond does'nt mean Apple needs to adopt

it right away. Mac's are not Lego's people. You can't just throw it

in there without the proper test and development stages.

Finally to those who love flaping there gums about PC's and there mightyness why don't you go jump on there band wagon and leave

this Sophisticated Apple board to those who what to discuss actual

topics of interest.

Furthurmore:

I like to thank the academy-and Mom........

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: dmgeist ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 33
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Don't forget, there are different types of DDR as well.

Apple with an Ace up its sleeve

Like maybe 400 Mhz DDR RAM

400 MHz bus - 200 double-pumped

1200 or 1600 MHz G4s

That sounds cool.

I'd prefer jus natural clockspeeds with one transfer per cycle - but I dunno the techie side of it very well. I suppose that the slowest parts of the Intel Pentium 4 run 4X slower than the fastest - I mean, why quad-pump the bus unless the processor's fastest part is wasting most of its time on a 1X or even 2X bus?
  • Reply 24 of 33
    What about DDR in PowerBooks?

Edit: Stupid side note, but DDR reminds me of Dance Dance Revolution.

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Macasaurus ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by The All Knowing 1:

<strong>I still think you're bipolar--you should have that checked...This isn't a forum for insults, which is why I'm not being childish.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sheesh. This speaks for itself.

[quote]Originally posted by Macasaurus:

<strong>What about DDR in PowerBooks?

Edit: Stupid side note, but DDR reminds me of Dance Dance Revolution.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, this poster's put his finger on it. Steve Jobs' "one more thing" at MWNY is going to be an annoucement that all future PowerBooks come with a Japanese exchange student jumping around frantically upon them.

• Reply 26 of 33
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>Don't forget, there are different types of DDR as well.

Apple with an Ace up its sleeve

Like maybe 400 Mhz DDR RAM

400 MHz bus - 200 double-pumped

1200 or 1600 MHz G4s

That sounds cool.

I'd prefer jus natural clockspeeds with one transfer per cycle - but I dunno the techie side of it very well. I suppose that the slowest parts of the Intel Pentium 4 run 4X slower than the fastest - I mean, why quad-pump the bus unless the processor's fastest part is wasting most of its time on a 1X or even 2X bus?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, all the P4 runs at the chip clock speed, except for simple integer units which run at twice that speed. The bus is the external connection to the world, and the reason it is at such a low speed is electromagnetic interference. Putting things running at 400MHz on the motherboard would effetively make it ridculously expensive to produce with massive shielding of each trace of the bus etc., so they use a slow clock bus, and transmit more information by making use of each transition of the clock-good engineering practice.

The reason the upcoming hypertransport and rapidIO are able to run at much higher speeds is that they use low voltage differential signalling, massively reducing the interference, and narrower widths, and better grounding power supply provision. Using differential signalling for current busses would at least double the number of pins, and board traces, required leading to higher cost.

Michael
  • Reply 27 of 33
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    RapidIO can run 2GHz on the motherboard.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    i think Apple needs to push the numbers..... RAM, HD, bus speeds, RAM speeds, HD speeds, etc....

it's pathetic how far behind they are with bus speeds. 133 just dosent cut it anymore. it has got to be 400+ for the PRo Desktops and at least 266 for the Con.Desktops. portables should all be 133.... i cant believe they are actually tryingto sell a notebook w/ a 100 MHz bus these days.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    [quote]Originally posted by mmicist:

<strong>

No, all the P4 runs at the chip clock speed, except for simple integer units which run at twice that speed. The bus is the external connection to the world, and the reason it is at such a low speed is electromagnetic interference. Putting things running at 400MHz on the motherboard would effetively make it ridculously expensive to produce with massive shielding of each trace of the bus etc., so they use a slow clock bus, and transmit more information by making use of each transition of the clock-good engineering practice.

The reason the upcoming hypertransport and rapidIO are able to run at much higher speeds is that they use low voltage differential signalling, massively reducing the interference, and narrower widths, and better grounding power supply provision. Using differential signalling for current busses would at least double the number of pins, and board traces, required leading to higher cost.

Michael</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's differential signaling, sending variable voltage amplitudes and frequecies down the traces?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    This DDR thing was hashed over on the AI boards a couple of months ago.

Here's one look at it for 10% to 15% increase (which MPX already does better at)

<a href="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q4/001030/athlon-15.html"; target="_blank">http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q4/001030/athlon-15.html</a>;
  • Reply 31 of 33
    hotboxdhotboxd Posts: 125member
    would a DDR mobo in the PBook create more heat? The PBook should always be at least as powerful as the iMac.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bigc:

<strong>

What's differential signaling, sending variable voltage amplitudes and frequecies down the traces?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, its sending a signal down two traces, with the traces carrying opposite polarity signals, the signal is taken as the difference between the two traces. This reduces noise and electromagnetic radiation. Noise is reduced since any interference tends to be picked up equally on the two traces, so the difference signal is not affected, and the current drawn from the power supply remains constant, radiation is reduced as the two signals from the two traces are in anti-phase and tend to cancel each other out at any distance signficantly larger than the spacing between the traces. (this is basically the same as using twisted pair cable for signal transmission)

[quote]Originally posted by hotboxd:

<strong>

would a DDR mobo in the PBook create more heat? The PBook should always be at least as powerful as the iMac.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

DDR actually runs a little bit cooler than SDR memory.

Michael
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Thanks mm, sorta like higher speed scsi stuff was (or is).