2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member
    thompr said:
    mike1 said:
    eightzero said:
    FDA approved?
    Doesn't matter whether it is sold " for entertainment use only" or is FDA approved. Doesn't matter whether it's results are legally binding or not. If it is even marginally accurate, this could be a great tool to keep a questionable driver off the road. If a host takes somebody's keys or if someone decides to stay off the road an extra hour because the app shows they're over the legal limit, it is worth it.
    Well, someone could argue the counter side of that:  what if someone decides to go ahead and drive based upon an errant reading to the low side?

But I'm going to side with you on the basis of experience.  My wife and I go out for dancing & drinks approximately every other week.  We usually leave our car at home and take Uber to the club instead, because we know we are going to be drinking and don't want to be tempted to drive the car back home.  However, sometimes we do drive to the club.  On these occasions, we always take a high end portable breathalyzer with us so we can monitor our BAC and make good choices later.  Whenever we take the breathalyzer out of my wife's purse in the club, the folks we are with become very intrigued.  It's like a novelty, and they all want to try it numerous times throughout the night.  (Of course we try to sanitize the breathing tube before passing it on, lest we pass too many germs.)  Anyway, my observation has been that the general awareness of the group is increased, and curiously enough I see a correlation:  far more people we are with Uber home on those nights than on others.

Obviously it wouldn't be so easy to pass around the watch.  But the point remains that I believe the general awareness of the wearer and perhaps his/her close companions (even if they don't use the watch) is increased.  The cautious thought is simply brought to mind, and that is helpful.
    Agreed, that's why all the legal mumbo jumbo you click through would absolve the manufacturer from any responsibility regarding the performance of the app. Same way every safety device in a car still tells you that the driver is ultimately responsible.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    Is there a strap that gives you blood pressure?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    The problem with this and all other portable BAC devices is that all too often it inspires contests to see who can score the highest. 

There may be some that use it as it is intended, but there are many, many more people who will try to get the highest number, just like a video game. 

There are many, many people in this world who confuse Grand Theft Auto V and real life...way too many.
    baconstang
  • Reply 24 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,055member
    bobroo said:
    The problem with this and all other portable BAC devices is that all too often it inspires contests to see who can score the highest. 

There may be some that use it as it is intended, but there are many, many more people who will try to get the highest number, just like a video game. 

There are many, many people in this world who confuse Grand Theft Auto V and real life...way too many.
    First, I wonder if you have any data to back that up but whatever. Second, why is that a problem for those that wish to indulge? Lastly, for those who wish to use this as a quantified-self product, it really doesnt matter what college kids do with it.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 25 of 31
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    bobroo said:

First, I wonder if you have any data to back that up but whatever. Second, why is that a problem for those that wish to indulge? Lastly, for those who wish to use this as a quantified-self product, it really doesnt matter what college kids do with it.
    The kind of people who do these "contests" are the same who would drink shots till they pass out.
    In fact, it could be argued that this is safer in a way cause blood alcool levels that are lethal are much easier to gauge than the number of shots a random individual needs to drink to get to the same level.

Some people drink to complete idiocy, they put lighter fuel in their mouths to become "flame throwers"! and film it; idiots abound, they can't be stopped unless you strip them naked and put them in a padded cell.

The tools don't increase danger for those idiots, they're a constant danger to themselves regardless.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    bobroobobroo Posts: 96member
    bobroo said:

foggyhill said:
    bobroo said:

The kind of people who do these "contests" are the same who would drink shots till they pass out.
    In fact, it could be argued that this is safer in a way cause blood alcool levels that are lethal are much easier to gauge than the number of shots a random individual needs to drink to get to the same level.

Some people drink to complete idiocy, they put lighter fuel in their mouths to become "flame throwers"! and film it; idiots abound, they can't be stopped unless you strip them naked and put them in a padded cell.

The tools don't increase danger for those idiots, they're a constant danger to themselves regardless.
    It's not just college kids who try for the highest score it's high school kids, it's middle aged moms drinking wine and chocolatetinis on girls night out, and it's adult neighborhood gatherings at the neighbors down the street.

My point is portable BAC's are perceived as conscientious device but in reality because they measurably quantify drinking; in reality they escalate it. Not only to become falling down drunk but it often works the other way too. For example, if your are with a group of adults at let's say a sporting event and the group is generally scoring a .08 and you score a .02--your not keeping up your end, right?

At the end of the day you are correct StrangeDays, this is a device for BACTrac to make money no matter how it is used. And for some an accessory to their Apple Watch making it more valuable. 

• Reply 27 of 31
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Apple should learn a lesson from this -- the watch band can be used to enhance the capabilities of its Apple Watch.   Without use of the band, the potential of the Apple Watch will be unnecessarily restricted.  It would be a shame if, 5-10 years from now the best they could do with the watch is monitor your heart rate.

But, as a prior AI article pointed out:  there is diagnostic port buried beneath the connection point of the band.   The potential exists!  Will Apple exploit it?   One would hope.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    eightzero said:
    FDA approved?
    Drunk drivers love it. ❤️ 
  • Reply 29 of 31
    It's great that the Apple Watch can be used as a sensory device for a range of things including breath alcohol analysis. The sensor actually integrates with the watch band nicely and doesn't look out of place. Any ways to integrate existing technologies into what we wear is a good thing, especially when it comes to monitoring factors relating to health. Sure, some people will have fun with it and may see who has the highest BAC but for most users, it just may prevent them from getting behind the wheel when they shouldn't be driving. If anyone knows any other interesting integrations with apple watch straps feel free to contact me! Thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    If you drink you don't drive. It's a simple solution. no need for any expenditure on a watch band.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    That is a great application, but what would be even better would be a blood sugar monitor for the millions of diabetics that are out there. Now that would be a fantastic use of the iWatch. I wish I knew enough to attempt to create such a application. Come on guys (and gals), please develop a blood sugar monitor for the iWatch !!!