Quick take video review: LG's UltraFine 5K Display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    I saw one of these IRL for the first time at the LG exhibit at CES on Thursday. I looked at it from three perspectives: 1) what the image is like while it's operating in various connectivity modes/resolutions/refresh-rates/viewing-angles/lighting-conditions, 2) what the enclosure looks like (and whether a third-party VESA mount is practically required or truly optional for all-day desktop use) and 3) value. In the last two categories, it's a bad buy, but not sure if I will cancel my order because I need an external monitor and haven't got time to play trial-and-error with the TB3-to-DP adapters out there (plus no help from the review sites).  But if this is a trophy for you, rest assured this is a "high performance" monitor that is very "powerful" and has "ample" real estate /s/.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    How close is this display to professional graphics grade liek EIZO and high-end NEC? IS it anti-glare as well?

https://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2017/20170105_2054-LG_5K_display.html
    My guess is it is not close at all.
    A professional monitor includes hardware calibration, uniformity, stability, and is intended to be operated at low brightness of 100-120 cd/m2 with high bit depth to enable the most subtle tonal variations to be properly evaluated.
    The LG is a consumer monitor and shouldn't be compared to a professional graphics monitor.
    Having a high brightness/contrast/wide gamut does not make it a professional monitor and doesn't say anything about the monitors ability to display small tonal variations accurately.
    i cringed when I saw the Apple add for the 5k iMac with a "photographer" espousing the benefits of the high resolution/ppi (resolution is the least important and really not needed in a photographic monitor except to support larger displays).
    The beauty of retina ppi is really all about text.