Video demonstrates old 'Acorn OS' interface considered for iPhone prior to iOS

Posted:
in iPhone
Avid product leaker Sonny Dickson has published looks at the Apple "Acorn OS" operating system, thought to be at the core of early Apple iPhone prototypes.

Dickson has shed light on what appears to be one of the first options Apple had to choose from in "Acorn", with clear design lineage from the iPod's scroll wheel navigation. Instead of a physical wheel, the "Acorn" operating system featured an aqua-styled touch control wheel on the touch screen, navigating hierarchical menus with typography and layouts identical to the iPod at the time.

The early prototype video published Friday does not show features that ultimately made the iPhone what it was, such as a browser. Nor does it show the hardware that the OS is running on in any great detail.

Dickson notes that the prototype hardware that the "Acorn" video was shot on features many of the same features as the shipping iPhone did, such as aluminum body, multi-touch screen, 2G connectivity, and wi-fi. As early as December 2006, rumors were circulating that the new iPhone may include a "Virtual click-wheel/soft-touch design" as well as a metal casing.

Other accounts published well after the fact confirmed the click-wheel design was being considered for the iPhone, prior to the iOS implementation. A patent application from 2012 shows an interface remarkably similar to that in Friday's video.

The hardware used for the video could be the sole survivor of the "Acorn OS" evaluation process, as an entire division at Apple exists to eradicate unused prototype hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Nothing against Tony Fadell, but I'm very happy that Scott Forestall was successful.
    edited January 2017 SpamSandwichjbishop1039suddenly newtonmacplusplusjony0
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I've read elsewhere that Apple held an internal competition for the iPhone's OS. This pitted an OS X based candidate against an iPod derived option. Perhaps this is the latter, the ultimate loser of the competition.

If so, this is a very early, conceptual view of what might have been. It's hard to believe that Apple didn't always hope to go down the OS X based route because of its apparent greater potential. In that case, the other option would have been about risk-reduction as much as product functionality.

Interesting stuff - thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    command_f said:
    I've read elsewhere that Apple held an internal competition for the iPhone's OS. This pitted an OS X based candidate against an iPod derived option. Perhaps this is the latter, the ultimate loser of the competition.

If so, this is a very early, conceptual view of what might have been. It's hard to believe that Apple didn't always hope to go down the OS X based route because of its apparent greater potential. In that case, the other option would have been about risk-reduction as much as product functionality.

Interesting stuff - thanks.
    If you go to the linked page it's explained in detail.

• Reply 4 of 13
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Jobs said that Apple was developing the iPad well before the iPhone. They discovered that the iPad's UI could be used for the iPhone. Apple shelved the iPad and worked on the iPhone instead.
    mr olalesSolidr. xargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Jobs said that Apple was developing the iPad well before the iPhone. They discovered that the iPad's UI could be used for the iPhone. Apple shelved the iPad and worked on the iPhone instead.
    That's an important point. My first thought watching the video was that it is a concept/prototype of a full touchscreen iPod, not a pre-iPhone concept. And considering what you brought up it seems even less likely this was an iPhone concept.
    sdw2001
  • Reply 6 of 13
    georgie01 said:
    That's an important point. My first thought watching the video was that it is a concept/prototype of a full touchscreen iPod, not a pre-iPhone concept. And considering what you brought up it seems even less likely this was an iPhone concept.
    Yeah. Especially since it says "iPod" across the top. I think this was pretty much an exercise to demonstrate how phone features could be packed into an ipod like device and not so much a demo of of the UI itself. It's pretty safe to say iPhone would not have been as big of a success if this was the OS. 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I'd love to know more about this: "...an entire division at Apple exists to eradicate unused prototype hardware."
    mattinoz
  • Reply 8 of 13
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Breaking News: Samsung to announce Galaxy S 8 Wheel edition. 
    sdw2001raulcristianargonaut
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Investors and clickbaiters will read this as:
    "Video demonstrates old 'Acorn OS' interface considered for iPhone prior to iOS. Experts say that Acorn OS would've been more lucrative than iOS, and Apple's stock price would've been triple what it is today."
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member

Here is a bit of classic Ars speculation about the possibility of an iPad after one of the first articles on the iPhones development. They talk about the base project which was a multitouch thin web tablet internally called SafariPad. 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2008/03/safari-pad-tech-used-to-create-iphone/

• Reply 11 of 13
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well, I think we all dodged a bullet there.
    georgie01argonaut
  • Reply 12 of 13
    The name of this Acorn OS may perhaps be linked to Apple's use of the ARM chip which was, I believe, jointly developed with Acorn computer of Cambridge, England and may have initially used Acorn's operating system RISC OS developed in the 80's and early 90's for their Archimedes and Risc PC ranges which ran on early ARM chips.  
    argonaut