Peter Thiel says 'age of Apple' at its end

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    NW CommenterNW Commenter Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    This is one person's opinion who doesn't and hasn't worked for Apple. It's almost as though he has an axe to grind. I have complete faith in Apple, but I will say that Tim Cook and company cannot afford to be complacent. Amazon is eating both Apple's and Google's lunch with their home device.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    Time to dust off that old apple death knell counter. It's kind of remarkable how people like thiel et. al. come up with these prophecies despite now being the time that Apple has its greatest access to resources and minds than ever before in its history. They must really think all of these people sit around all day doing nothing.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 86
    Sure, I've seen so little innovation since my 5S, I don't need to get a 7.  Except for the better processor (we can give Apple credit for the processor, Mr T), camera that takes a tiny little movie before and after the photo, waterproof-ness, better-color screen, force touch screen, secure enclave for Apple Pay which somehow works at all the stores where I shop, there really has been no innovation in the last couple years.  Naturally I would expect the next couple years to be the same, so, there's no reason not to get an iPhone 7 except for the minor detail that the 5S is still working just great.  BTW, love that little Buzz Feed News app, Mr. T.
    The AirPods also weren't that big of a deal.
    Connecting to other products you have connected is nothing special, neither is siri control or the extra features it has.

yeah, nothing innovative.
    calinetmageStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 86
    It is my belief that we'll all get more out of this conversation if we focus on what is really important.  A caption this contest.   I'll start:

Trump:  We've got to stop making phones in Chin-ah.

Thiel:  God, that man is my role model.

Cook:  What the F is wrong with this man?

Catz:  I admire that stud so much, I hope he gives me a job!

calimattinozrobin hubermagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 86
    I hope Thiel loses BIGLY by trying to short AAPL.
    retrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 86
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    tshapi said:
    The real question is... what is theil investing in that he thinks will replace the iPhone 
    Robot butcher...ketchup and mustard in the same bottle...
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 27 of 86
    Who is he?
  • Reply 28 of 86
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    rob53 said:
    And what does Facebook have to offer other than a way for the FBI to know everything about (almost) everyone in the US? It's just an app, nothing more, so when people get tired of Facebook and the new greatest thing on earth comes along, I guess Thiel will simply look for another sugar-daddy to pad his wallet. 

Apple is and always will be more than a single product and Thiel should know that. 
    Apple could disrupt Social Media by making a platform where we own our own data and choose how we share (News+Personal).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 86
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The post millennial generation is being called the iGeneration. That's telling.

No one knows what Apple has in the cards so why does everyone act like they know?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 86
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mattinoz said:
    rob53 said:
    And what does Facebook have to offer other than a way for the FBI to know everything about (almost) everyone in the US? It's just an app, nothing more, so when people get tired of Facebook and the new greatest thing on earth comes along, I guess Thiel will simply look for another sugar-daddy to pad his wallet. 

Apple is and always will be more than a single product and Thiel should know that. 
    Apple could disrupt Social Media by making a platform where we own our own data and choose how we share (News+Personal).
    They tried social media already. 
  • Reply 31 of 86
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Time to dust off that old apple death knell counter. It's kind of remarkable how people like thiel et. al. come up with these prophecies despite now being the time that Apple has its greatest access to resources and minds than ever before in its history. They must really think all of these people sit around all day doing nothing.

Dust it off? We never put it away. Now in it's 41st year!

cali said:
    The post millennial generation is being called the iGeneration. That's telling.

No one knows what Apple has in the cards so why does everyone act like they know?

Because acting like they know gets them on television, and in the papers. It makes them sound cleverer than they actually are, and no-one ever remembers when you get it wrong.

I was going to say something nasty about Thiel, but I really can't be bothered. It would be nice if he didn't get any attention, but it seems we're stuck with him for the time being.

caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 86
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    I think the new wave of innovation is going to be great, people can't even imagine what's coming. AR, VR, AI, wearable technologies, etc. I believe things about to get interesting! Apple is a huge company if Apple continues innovation people will continue to buy their products! I wouldn't worry Peter Thiel and other critics.
    mattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 86
    mattinoz said:
    rob53 said:

They tried social media already. 
      They tried social music at best and it's biggest problem was it was out of the way.
    netmage
  • Reply 34 of 86
    The guy's overrated. Sad. 
    mattinozretrogustoleviapple jockeyphotography guywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 86
    As well as a car, a TV and an airplane but that doesn't mean that they'll not evolve and that we'll stop using them.

In fact, a pocket supercomputer seems to me a far more promising and interesting thing than anything I just mentioned. Included any volatile Internet service.

edited January 2017 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 86
    As well as a car, a TV and an airplane but that doesn't mean that they'll not evolve and that we'll stop using them.

In fact, a pocket supercomputer seems to me a far more promising and interesting thing than anything I just mentioned. Included any volatile Internet service.

Yes, the pocket supercomputer and the personal computing cluster that Steve Jobs promised in his 97 return to Apple developer conference talk are still outstanding. So there is still plenty of evolution left in Apple's tanks.  Plus many sidelines they could branch out to.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 86
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    avon b7 said:
    Whoever gets AI working seamlessly with humans and devices will be onto the next big wave.

The problem is that I don't want companies to have competing systems. Consumers need standards not attempts to lock them in. Whoever gets AI interoperating will want to milk the cow though.

The logical control centre for controlling or limiting AI would be the phone or tablet. 

In a way, Apple is at a crossroads but more a 'roadmap crossroads' than a technological one. They could do better technologically but they have to decide where they are going first.

It is amazing how short sighted this guy is.  Frankly I have to agree that AI or maybe more accurately machine learning will play a big part in the future.   However I see things differently.   Good AI will eliminate the need for standards in my mind.   When AI is good enough to understand you and react properly your standard becomes the english language.

I also agree that AI will be a big factor in future cell phones.   The trick here is to be able to embed enough processing power to run the basic AI engine right on the cell phone. The need for a trip to a data center needs to be massively reduced.   To power such an AI,Apple will need far more powerful A series chips.   I'm sure those chips aren't far off as everybody and their brother is working on some sort off AI acceleration hardware 

Lastly though I really have to disagree, the crossroads are very much technological due to the need to produce both hardware and software to drive these new features forward.
    apple jockeypatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 86
    The guy is pretty sure he's genius because of a few (one really, and the rest just come from having lots of cash to spread around) smart/lucky investments. This type of person cashes in one what is basically one lucky guess then spend their lives telling people how to run businesses when actually they have NEVER run an actual business. He's the most pathetic of all the VC's out there and others know it. They don't take him seriously. That's part of why he wrapped himself around the President elect. He craves validation and is willing to do anything to get it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 86
    I am willing to bet that he is wrong. To me in some ways Apple has lost its flash. But the iPhone is nowhere near its Pinnacle. I also believe that Apple has a culture that will carry it a lot further than doubters like this believe.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 86
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    And I should give a fuck of what Peter Thiel thinks or says, why? The guy is a sycophantic douchebag.
    pscooter63anantksundarammagman1979StrangeDayswatto_cobra