With Verizon, Comcast, Spectrum customers still waiting, Cable One joins Apple's Single Si...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has added cable company Cable One to its Single Sign-On feature for iOS and tvOS, while most cable subscribers in the U.S. still can't utilize the feature at all.

Apple on Thursday added Cable One to the list of partners compatible with the Single Sign-On feature. Cable One joins an assortment of other similarly-sized cable companies on the list, alongside major providers DirecTV, Dish, and Sling.

Cable One is based out of Phoenix, Ariz, and serves approximately 750,000 customers in 19 states.

The Single-Sign On feature rolled out with iOS 10.2 and tvOS 10.1, and allows users with an Apple TV or iOS device enter their cable, satellite, or streaming TV credentials once, and have them automatically entered into third-party apps that require subscription account information.

Still missing are a number of major services spanning millions of viewers, such as Google Fiber, AT&T U-verse, Verizon Fios, Charter Spectrum, Cox Cable, and Comcast Xfinity. Based on remarks from the cable companies, the omissions have more to do with the cable companies than Apple.

"It won't be available at launch," Cox representative Todd Smith noted when the feature was in beta testing. "But, we'll keep an eye on it like any other new development."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Single sign-on is so close to being good, but still kind of sucks.
    There's a reason they call it "single sign on" instead of single sign in":

First you sign on to your cable provider in settings.
    Then you download available apps.
    Then you go into each app individually and click "sign in" and authorize the app to use your single sign on.
    THEN you go to the app TV app and authorize the TV app to use content from your newly signed-on apps.

It really should be:
    Single sign on in settings
    Every new app you download that supports single sign on is automatically authorized (using a token system if necessary to maintain privacy)
    TV app automatically pulls in available content

supadav03Deelrontokyojimuboxcatcherpentae
  • Reply 2 of 9
    One more and we'll have a dozen participants.
    I want to see "DirecTV Now" round up the twelve participants.
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 3 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Someday, Apple-TV customer be able to sign in/on at one place in settings with your cable/satellite provider's credentials, than straight able to download and watch every channels allowed under your subscription. About those dinosaurs(Verizon, Comcast, Spectrum,U-Verse), won't buzz until customers start complaining and demanding to support Apple-TV.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Why would Comcast care one bit about anything related to AppleTV. Comcast wants to control everything and in my area, does. They have voice capability on their remote to find anything they have available. They already have paid off the broadcasters so why worry about making anything easy for AppleTV users? It's the same with all the other companies, Apple is a direct (and sometimes scary) competitor. 

The only way for Apple to really take over the TV marketplace with a streaming solution would mean the following would have to happen:

1. They'd need to provide their own internet infrastructure including fiber/coax to as many homes and businesses as they could legally get away with. This would solve the streaming delivery costs imposed by the cable companies who overcharge for internet-only connections.

2. They'd either have to buy out of buy into the major broadcasters, which is what Comcast did with NBC Universal (which should never have been allowed to happen).

3. Apple users need to understand that they'll have to pay as much as they do now to get the same or less because that's how cartels operate and the US broadcasters are an unofficial cartel.

• Reply 5 of 9
    This is the one I'm waiting for as well.

Of course, DTVN credentials would also need to actually work in more than 6 apps.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    Unless something has changed when I wasn't looking, you still can't use your Comcast credentials to sign on at all to ATV apps from Viacom and maybe a couple of others. It's quite obnoxious. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    'DirecTV Now' is a separate paid subscription Internet-based service, that does not require an existing cable/sat provider service to activate.  You will never see 'DirecTV Now' used in that way. That is not how it works.  
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Also missing is Time Warner/Spectrum, so another batch of millions of customers across the U.S. are left out of this feature.  The TV app is pretty lame.  If my cable channel apps are already downloaded and activated through my cable account, why do I have to download the app again and somehow activate it in the TV app to make it work?  The TV app should already know what cable channel apps are already downloaded and activated on my AppleTV.  My TiVo Roamio already searches everything, including Amazon, and does a better job doing it.  AppleTV is great for some on-demand stuff, Netflix, and local content, but I am not going to rely on the Internet for watching live or recorded content.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    BasilKBasilK Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    'DirecTV Now' is a separate paid subscription Internet-based service, that does not require an existing cable/sat provider service to activate.  You will never see 'DirecTV Now' used in that way. That is not how it works.  
    Um, it's just like Sling TV. And Sling TV supports single sign on. I use it to authenticate a couple of apps.