Android creator Andy Rubin plans AI-equipped smartphone with edge-to-edge display, ceramic...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    fallenjt said:

Tell me what you asked that Siri didn't know while Google Now did, 
    I was looking for a chef equipment store this weekend. Someone told me sort of where the store was but I got lost. I asked Siri where the chef equipment store was near by. I didn't know the actual name of the store. And even though I am in California, Siri offered up a location in Florida. I asked Google the same question and it turned out I was less than 5 minutes away and I got perfect directions.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 42 of 43
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    512ke said:
    Sounds like more of a potential threat to Android.
    I'm quietly confident this will be Android, underneath. Starting brand new platform with zero apps available, in this climate, would be very suicidal. Especially that he doesn't seem to be planing cheap, mass-market devices.

Devs don't really care how much one paid for one's phone. But they do care how many of them are out there.

This will be premium hardware with customized Android, Google Play Store and Google services behind it. Anything else would not make much sense, I think.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    Who is providing the AI? Is it Microsoft, Google or Amazon? It certainly wouldn't be Apple. 

Amazon would very likely be willing to provide Alexa. 

Starting with a new OS makes little sense. Microsoft has been unable to bring Windows to a reasonable selling phone and Samsung has failed to achieve any inroads with Tizen. Amazon failed with the Fire phone and Facebook also failed. 

Amazon is seeing tremendous success with Echo and Alexa. It would make the most sense to start there if anywhere although it makes very little sense at all to try to bring another phone OS to market at all.