Apple debuts first AirPods TV commercials, Apple Watch ad focusing on activity

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    In a visual media (and marketing), it's show don't tell and we got someone saying just the opposite.... Yeah, even 1958 is too late for that guy, even in the 1930s many company understood that companies weren't merely selling a product.

Also, linking the product to the user's life, not making about specs has been Apple's motto since the start.

The "it's magic" thing is not just a clever quip from jobs, it's how Apple approaches the product and sale, people don't give a crap how something gets done (BT... ), just that its gets done MUSIC without having to fiddle with wires and tech.
    RockwellJacobsequality72521StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Seen these ads last night during the Patriots game. Definitely has the iPod era feel to them IMO. I liked em. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 55
    Oh yeah...those commercials would make me want to run out and buy the ear pods right away.  NOT
    Those who want them either already have them or pre-ordered them. Those like you who never wanted them in the first place have found a new opportunity to disparage. Go home Felicia! Go home!!
    magman1979equality72521StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Soli said:
    These are my second pair of headphones. 
    If you took the time to read the forum I linked you'd see it mostly a problem for people that have apple watches.
    i think the Apple Watch and the headphones are competing for the same Bluetooth connection with the phone.  
    Still an Apple problem that should have been tested by apple. 
    They released the product prematurely because they were trying to keep their promise to release before xmas. 
    So the nonsense is strong in you young padone!
    Giving you the benefit of the doubt for your core story, how did you determined that it's a problem with the AirPods themselves and not a problem with your iPhone's BT or a bug in iOS that is causing connectivity issues?

PS: They worked great for me  with an iPhone 7 Plus and an original Apple Watch.

PPS: It's Padawan. I had to look up the spelling, but I knew that |pad-one| would be an incorrect pronuncation.

Super8sean, my experience has been similar to Soli.  I have AirPods and an iPhone 6+, and an original Apple Watch… And I don't experience any of those problems you've noted.

Since these are your second pair...Have you tried doing a full reboot of your phone? Have you tried unpairing and then repairing? Perhaps  reset all settings? Yeah, the worst problem I've had with them is an occasional quarter second drop out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 55
    RockwellJacobsRockwellJacobs Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    If you took the time to read the forum I linked you'd see it mostly a problem for people that have apple watches.
    i think the Apple Watch and the headphones are competing for the same Bluetooth connection with the phone.  
    They released the product prematurely because they were trying to keep their promise to release before xmas. 
    I have a Watch. They are not "competing for BT connection". Newsflash: Apple employees also have Watches and tested with them.

If it was a disastrous defect of the sort you describe we'd all experience it, and yours is the first I've heard of it.
    Newsflash! We are experiencing it and it sucks, the headphones suck at the moment. There is a Bluetooth bug, it's the same reason "Tile" had to restrict the number of connected "Tiles". Now it has continued with the AirPods. I hope there's a fix in the works. 

Email from Tile:

"Hello there,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for any frustration this experience may have caused.

You are correct in that we are currently experiencing similar issues that other companies have raised with Apple’s iPhone 7 and its Bluetooth technology. Multiple Bluetooth connections on an iPhone 7 with iOS 10 installed are crashing the Bluetooth hardware/software on the device.

We are waiting on 10.2 to see if it alleviates the issue and so far the 10.2 betas are showing great promise, and the moment we have any update from Apple on this matter, we will reach back out to you on this issue."

• Reply 46 of 55
    Jesse WehnerJesse Wehner Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    The practically magic ad campaign has been incredible so far!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Apple has the gaul. 

Asterix or Obelix?
    SoliRayz2016equality72521anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 55
     I'm not a fan of wireless headphones in general because of the charging hassle and connection issues (though AirPods sound like they are better), but one issue is never mentioned. There are some credible  studies that cell phone radiation right next to the brain can cause tumors. You can use speaker phone for the iPhone but having bluetooth RF in your ear all day is not a smart idea unless you don't mind being a guinea pig. Clearly I am not going to buy them, but I think the risks should be better communicated before the masses jump on this bandwagon, as it is an unnecessary convienence 
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
     I'm not a fan of wireless headphones in general because of the charging hassle and connection issues (though AirPods sound like they are better), but one issue is never mentioned. There are some credible  studies that cell phone radiation right next to the brain can cause tumors. You can use speaker phone for the iPhone but having bluetooth RF in your ear all day is not a smart idea unless you don't mind being a guinea pig. Clearly I am not going to buy them, but I think the risks should be better communicated before the masses jump on this bandwagon, as it is an unnecessary convienence 

Okay, rather than going with 'some credible studies' and 'no credible links to some credible studies', I thought we might look at what the American Cancer Society has to say on the subject.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/cellular-phones

While stating that there is no conclusive evidence that proves using mobile phones causes brain tumours, they also reckon that if you're worried then your best bet is to use a bluetooth headset; they have one thousandth of the SAR rating of a mobile phone. 

What is more harmful to your health is using the speaker setting for the iPhone all day and every day, because at some point, someone will punch you in the face.
    edited January 2017 equality72521SoliStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 55
    equality72521 said:

Even in London though, mine are the only pair I've seen. Truly scarce item, and a few stares at mine. 
    I'm in London and have been surprised by how many times I've seen them, maybe 5 or 6 which I consider a lot given the back orders and all. Curious huh?
    Nice one. Yeah, strange but good to know. Unless it's me you've seen 5-6 times :)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 55
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    fallenjt said:
    Black version will be nice too. To me white stands out a but too much ..
    Has Apple ever made black earphones for idevices before?
    Don't worry, Samsung will with the release of The Galaxy S8 and claim they're out-innovating Apple, again. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 55
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    I have a Watch. They are not "competing for BT connection". Newsflash: Apple employees also have Watches and tested with them.

If it was a disastrous defect of the sort you describe we'd all experience it, and yours is the first I've heard of it.
    Newsflash! We are experiencing it and it sucks, the headphones suck at the moment. There is a Bluetooth bug, it's the same reason "Tile" had to restrict the number of connected "Tiles". Now it has continued with the AirPods. I hope there's a fix in the works. 

Email from Tile:

"Hello there,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for any frustration this experience may have caused.

You are correct in that we are currently experiencing similar issues that other companies have raised with Apple’s iPhone 7 and its Bluetooth technology. Multiple Bluetooth connections on an iPhone 7 with iOS 10 installed are crashing the Bluetooth hardware/software on the device.

We are waiting on 10.2 to see if it alleviates the issue and so far the 10.2 betas are showing great promise, and the moment we have any update from Apple on this matter, we will reach back out to you on this issue."
    I don't care about Tile. there is no widespread AP bug. you first-time posters are the first i've heard of it -- so return yours for another pair. you did call apple care, right? you've taken care of it, right? if not you're just trolling. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 55
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

airpods are not cellular. i've seen no data that suggests BT causes brain tumors. do enlighten us.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 55
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Oh yeah...those commercials would make me want to run out and buy the ear pods right away.  NOT
    I get what you mean...
    But, they are not meant to be "Buy my product", "My product is the best" type ads.
    Rather they are trying to normalize something that is strange to most people.   I suspect many people are saying:  "Yeh, they're nice.  They're maybe kind of cool.  But only 'other' people would buy and use them.   Me?  I'm just normal".  
    ...  So, Apple needs to normalize them.

I suspect Apple realizes now that they erred in introducing the Apple Watch as a trinket for rich people.   They are now trying to backtrack and normalize it as an integral part of a normal person's normal life.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    foggyhill said:
    In a visual media (and marketing), it's show don't tell and we got someone saying just the opposite.... 
    The ad actually follows a long standing advertising formula

Show the product
    Show someone using the product
    Create desire for the product.

With certain products, having a really "cool" or funny story can lead to liking the ad but forgetting what the product is, however this is not the case in this ad because you see the product multiple times during the clip and with the white/black contrast, the product never gets lost.
    edited January 2017