Jimmy Iovine says Apple Music creating 'pop cultural' experience with new TV content

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Not sure when Neil at AboveAvalon first detailed his notions, but back when Apple first bought Beats, amidst all the naysayng, I put forth in the comments here that Apple could create its own studios around the country as a means to bootstrap upcoming talent.
    The rambling Neil. His podcast could be 10 minutes but he insists on repeating the same point over and over veeeerrrryyyy sssllllooooowwwwllllyyyyy, as if his audience is new to the English language.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:

Some people suggest firing him but you guys don't realize he's the biggest player in the music industry.
    Who cares. The entire music business generates about $15B in revenues in the US (the country where this guy has any clout, if at all). About a third to a half of that is the concert business. So, if we're generous, that's a $10B in non-concert revenue in the US. In other words, less than 5% Apple's revenue base for the whole industry.

While music is important as content for the hardware (and the software) that Apple sells, given the company's size and scope, it's a trivial business for Apple to want to bother with. 
    So Apple should just throw away Apple Music? Great idea!
  • Reply 23 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    cali said:

Some people suggest firing him but you guys don't realize he's the biggest player in the music industry.
    Who cares. The entire music business generates about $15B in revenues in the US (the country where this guy has any clout, if at all). About a third to a half of that is the concert business. So, if we're generous, that's a $10B in non-concert revenue in the US. In other words, less than 5% Apple's revenue base for the whole industry.

While music is important as content for the hardware (and the software) that Apple sells, given the company's size and scope, it's a trivial business for Apple to want to bother with. 
    So you want Apple to just throw away a multi billion dollar revenue stream?

And Apple Music is more about building a sticky ecosystem for the iPhone than just gross profit from the service.
    Wow you beat me to it. I replied to page 1 and then saw you posted almost my exact words on page 2!!

also keep in mind the fact Jimmy Iovine thought of Beats which became a multi billion dollar company on its own.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    ireland said:
    Buy Netflix, providing they can keep most content deals, but let's face it you're buying them really for their original content and unstoppable gift for producing new TV. Buy them and after a time rename it Apple TV (the service) and ...
    No, no, no. I do NOT want Apple bullying their way into yet another industry and controlling it. They're already too big and too arrogant. Competition is good.