Class-action suit demands Apple add lock-out system to iPhone to prevent texting while dri...

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 85
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,042member
    "The relationship consumers have with their phones is just too great, and the ability to slide under the eye of the law is just too easy," the lawsuit reads. "Embedding lock-out devices is the only solution."

    I find this line and the idealogical 
    mentality behind it very concerning. 

    Can we add a lockout for the car radio, the screaming kids in the back seat and stupid people all together, I see this as the only solution to saving the rest of us from bad behavior. While we are at it make car company lock out the steering if the person does no use the turn signal, or how about preventing the car from being drive if the person puts a drink in a cup hold, well maybe the cup holder should have never been put in a car in the first place.

    This is no different than bad driving, today we have people who have poor judgment and can not drive properly so our government pass all kinds of stupid laws to somehow change behavior, Then they realize they can not enforce the laws but decided that speeding is the root of all bad things and issue tickets because someone speed is the most obvious thing they can measure and see and assuming speeding means they are a bad driver.

    How about we just outlaw stupid people and since it so easy for stupid people to slide under the eyes of the law.


    icoco3
  • Reply 62 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,642member
    maestro64 said:
    "The relationship consumers have with their phones is just too great, and the ability to slide under the eye of the law is just too easy," the lawsuit reads. "Embedding lock-out devices is the only solution."

    I find this line and the idealogical mentality behind it very concerning. 

    Can we add a lockout for the car radio, the screaming kids in the back seat and stupid people all together, I see this as the only solution to saving the rest of us from bad behavior. . . 

    How about we just outlaw stupid people and since it so easy for stupid people to slide under the eyes of the law.


    One step at a time :)
    icoco3
  • Reply 63 of 85
    Smh. This is the side of technology that makes people lazy or attempts to justify a person's lack of responsibility. When an individual gets behind the wheel of a vehicle, it is THEIR responsibility to engage in safe driving practices from wearing their seatbelt to NOT TEXTING.

    How is it now Apple's responsibility to babysit able-minded people on what is safe when on the road. Every single person who texts while driving understands the risk they take by doing so. The people who take that risk have already been compromised due to making a choice to allow their phone distract them.

    Instead of forcing a company to make it easier for people who CHOOSE to text while driving, to not be able to, why not work with the local authorities to tighten up on texting while driving laws. Collaborate with auto manufacturers and transportation departments to build a synced infrastructure that can implement preventative measures for distracted drivers. If the state of California is really concerned about the safety of drivers then all involved parties need to be considered, not just one company.
    edited January 2017 tallest skil
  • Reply 64 of 85
    MrDnBmoreMrDnBmore Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This is just getting ridiculous.  So now it's Apple's fault that someone who was irresponsible was texting behind the wheel and ran into someone else? Come on people, get real!  It was the idiot who was texting and driving that caused the accident and not the phone.  Who is at fault when there are kids in the backseat the driver turns around or reaches back to hand them something that may have fallen while they were playing with it - the car company because they didn't stop the driver from reaching backwards and picking up what is needed in order to stop the child from crying.  Take responsibility for your own actions.  
    tallest skilicoco3
  • Reply 65 of 85
    While it would not be foolproof (and would require multi manufacture support) one way would be to allow the phones to detect other phones (probably using BT) in a radius traveling over a certain speed and present them with a dialog to acknowledge being the driver so it can be silenced. If one of the phones does not agree to being the driver's iPhone then all phones will prevent incoming calls and messages until someone fesses up.
    And if the driver doesn't have a phone and the passenger does?
  • Reply 66 of 85
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,928member
    paxman said:
    The problem for me is that Siri is not always very good, or there is a delay before response. The failure of Siri is very frustrating and more distracting than texting itself imo.
    ^ THIS is what Apple should be sued for! I recently got an iPhone SE, and was looking forward to hands-free control while driving (I had been using an iPod touch). But, to my shock and surprise, Siri is nearly useless while driving, to do basic things like answer a call, properly pause/play my podcast I'm listening to, or route audio properly so I can actually hear Siri's responses.

    The only reason I can see this as being the case (since basic BT headsets can do it), is because A) none of the design team actually uses iPhones in their cars, and are incapable of thinking through how a typical user might use the device, or B )  they've withheld such functionality to push CarPlay.

    Since I'm pretty sure CarPlay exists on the device (and just won't work w/o a CarPlay car system), it seems like it's the latter.... which *should* be a crime!
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 67 of 85
    Zufall_XZufall_X Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This kind of crap is a prime example of why I left California.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 68 of 85
    aybara said:
    They just want the payout.  If it was about safety, they'd be suing every phone manufacturer.  Android-based phones don't do a lock out, Windows-based phones don't do a lock out.  Hell, even most GPS devices don't do lockouts.  You get a pop-up warning that you can easily click "OK" on and go about doing everything you shouldn't be doing.

    As a previous poster said, it is the person's responsibility.  However, in this case, the 'person' probably didn't have enough money to satisfy the family suffering the loss, and they figured the deep Apple pockets would make them happier.

    This, this, and more this.
  • Reply 69 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,642member
    aybara said:
    They just want the payout.  If it was about safety, they'd be suing every phone manufacturer.  Android-based phones don't do a lock out, Windows-based phones don't do a lock out.  Hell, even most GPS devices don't do lockouts.  You get a pop-up warning that you can easily click "OK" on and go about doing everything you shouldn't be doing.

    As a previous poster said, it is the person's responsibility.  However, in this case, the 'person' probably didn't have enough money to satisfy the family suffering the loss, and they figured the deep Apple pockets would make them happier.

    This, this, and more this.
    If Apple is ordered to do it then all the rest will be too in short order. Apple isn't being singled out except as the single largest supplier of US smartphones, one with an apparently published and patented method of accomplishing it, and thus the most logical target to start with. All the smaller ones will be required to follow suit if the plaintiffs win and Apple fails with their near-certain appeal of it.

    With that out of the way it looks as tho Google may be moving in that general direction with Android Auto which no longer requires an auto manufacturer to partner. There's simply no way to manually text if Android Auto is active, and there's little reason for it not to be IMO since all the general driver needs can be initiated with voice from an OK Google" wake up command, no manual activation/button tap needed. All the general voice control features are automatically enabled as soon as it connects to the car's bluetooth:  Texts (both incoming and outgoing), music/podcasts, maps and navigation, search, and calling.

    From Google's requirements for Android Auto and compatible apps:
    "All tasks must be able to be completed with at least one hand on steering wheel and with brief, sequential glances. Sequences of interaction must be interruptible and resumable at a logical point. Additionally, system feedback needs to be timely and clear. Features that may distract the driver when the vehicle is in motion should be disabled. For example, manual texting is not permitted while driving."

    I would think that Apple too will eventually make CarPlay standalone and automatic if they already haven't (Have they?) instead of waiting for any particular car manufacturer to partner up, which would make limiting any driver interaction far easier. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 70 of 85
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    gatorguy said:
    aybara said:
    They just want the payout.  If it was about safety, they'd be suing every phone manufacturer.  Android-based phones don't do a lock out, Windows-based phones don't do a lock out.  Hell, even most GPS devices don't do lockouts.  You get a pop-up warning that you can easily click "OK" on and go about doing everything you shouldn't be doing.

    As a previous poster said, it is the person's responsibility.  However, in this case, the 'person' probably didn't have enough money to satisfy the family suffering the loss, and they figured the deep Apple pockets would make them happier.

    This, this, and more this.
    ...

    I would think that Apple too will eventually make CarPlay standalone and automatic if they already haven't (Have they?) instead of waiting for any particular car manufacturer to partner up, which would make limiting any driver interaction far easier. 
    You mean like....

    Pioneer AppRadio 4 SPH-DA120 6.2-Inch Capacitive Touchscreen Smartphone Receiver Display

    Available on Amazon?
  • Reply 71 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,642member
    icoco3 said:
    gatorguy said:
    aybara said:
    They just want the payout.  If it was about safety, they'd be suing every phone manufacturer.  Android-based phones don't do a lock out, Windows-based phones don't do a lock out.  Hell, even most GPS devices don't do lockouts.  You get a pop-up warning that you can easily click "OK" on and go about doing everything you shouldn't be doing.

    As a previous poster said, it is the person's responsibility.  However, in this case, the 'person' probably didn't have enough money to satisfy the family suffering the loss, and they figured the deep Apple pockets would make them happier.

    This, this, and more this.
    ...

    I would think that Apple too will eventually make CarPlay standalone and automatic if they already haven't (Have they?) instead of waiting for any particular car manufacturer to partner up, which would make limiting any driver interaction far easier. 
    You mean like....

    Pioneer AppRadio 4 SPH-DA120 6.2-Inch Capacitive Touchscreen Smartphone Receiver Display

    Available on Amazon?
    No, like a standalone CarPlay app that automatically launches when it connects to your vehicle's bluetooth. 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 72 of 85
    PCBobPCBob Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Real stupid lawsuit. If this goes through then I should be able to sue for people just talking to another passenger in the car their driving. I should be able to sue for listening to the radio while driving. I should be able to sue for looking at the scenery when driving a car and not looking straight ahead. I should be able to sue for smoking while driving. I should be able to sue for eating or drinking while driving. WOW I should be able to sue for everything LOL
    edited January 2017 cgWerks
  • Reply 73 of 85
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,928member
    gatorguy said:
    icoco3 said:

    Pioneer AppRadio 4 SPH-DA120 6.2-Inch Capacitive Touchscreen Smartphone Receiver Display

    Available on Amazon?
    No, like a standalone CarPlay app that automatically launches when it connects to your vehicle's bluetooth. 
    From what I've heard, the app is on each device. Apple just doesn't allow it to be used unless you have a CarPlay enabled device. Like I said, THAT is what they should be sued for. The iPhone should have basic hands-free functionality, regardless of Siri or CarPlay. Looking at your stereo display isn't that much safer than fiddling with your iPhone. It needs simple voice commands with some audio routing functionality.
  • Reply 74 of 85
    Butts Butts Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    So let's get this right. They want Apple to disable it texting and application function while the car is moving?so if I'm the passenger or on a bus or uber how the %#$& am I going to use my *%$&ing phone. 
  • Reply 75 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,642member
    Butts said:
    So let's get this right. They want Apple to disable it texting and application function while the car is moving?so if I'm the passenger or on a bus or uber how the %#$& am I going to use my *%$&ing phone. 
    If the lawsuit were successful they (and all the others) would have to figure it out...

    and they would. They may even already know how they would do it. 
  • Reply 76 of 85
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    gatorguy said:
    Butts said:
    So let's get this right. They want Apple to disable it texting and application function while the car is moving?so if I'm the passenger or on a bus or uber how the %#$& am I going to use my *%$&ing phone. 
    If the lawsuit were successful they (and all the others) would have to figure it out...

    and they would. They may even already know how they would do it. 
    Or just function without your phone for a little while. You'll live.
  • Reply 77 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,642member
    crowley said:
    gatorguy said:
    Butts said:
    So let's get this right. They want Apple to disable it texting and application function while the car is moving?so if I'm the passenger or on a bus or uber how the %#$& am I going to use my *%$&ing phone. 
    If the lawsuit were successful they (and all the others) would have to figure it out...

    and they would. They may even already know how they would do it. 
    Or just function without your phone for a little while. You'll live.
    Oh... that's even better advice.
  • Reply 78 of 85
    volcan said:
    sog35 said:
    how the fuck is the iphone suppose to know if you are driving or not?
    There is really only one way that I know of. You would need a connected accessory device mounted in the car such as a BT camera or other BT device which would use a visual image or accurate wireless proximity to determine if the phone was being operated from the driver's seat. The system would obviously be voluntary for adults or could be set in parental controls. That said, I can't see how Apple could be forced to provide that sort of solution. It seems like something a third party should be developing because Apple is not the only cell phone manufacturer. 

    Good question!  (1) Use the smartphone’s motion sensors to detect vehicle movement, and (2) use Cellepathy’s passenger verification task to distinguish drivers from passengers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NndeKlyDPko. #PassengerProblem=Solved!






  • Reply 79 of 85
    wood1208 said:
    Personal responsibility. I don't want Apple to lock(text or call) my iphone when driving. I might need to use it in emergency reply two words text or call someone..Isn't people to invoke Siri to reply text or return call so they don't get distracted while driving,
    Apple can put lock-out feature but has to be ON/OFF in settings.

    Actually most distracted driving prevention solutions (VERIFY included; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NndeKlyDPko) allow emergency phone numbers. Plus you can always stop on the side of the road if necessary.





  • Reply 80 of 85
    mike1 said:
    What about passengers?
    What about passengers on a commuter train or subway?
    What about passengers on buses?
    What about people in airplanes?

    How about just putting the blame on irresponsible users rather than punishing everybody?
    Exactly. To ensure the lockout only applies to the driver of a vehicle, the phone would have to work together with a sensor system built into the car. Carmakers have to introduce such a system before phones can utilize it. Apple have done nothing wrong.
    @deepinsider @mike1: While it's hard to put blame on Apple, under current laws companies can actually be held liable for damage if they could've reasonably predicted an outcome like this. That's precisely why Cellepathy's sensor system focuses on distinguishing between drivers and passengers (yes, and even the mode of transportation being traveled in) —and we're quite good at it! (Check us out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NndeKlyDPko)




    edited January 2017
Sign In or Register to comment.