Apple Pay picks up more card issuers in US, France & Australia

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has updated its worldwide roster of banks and credit unions supporting Apple Pay, adding 21 more institutions -- though as usual, the vast majority of these are based in the U.S.

In fact 19 of them are located there, many of them credit unions, all of them regional institutions. Most national firms in the country were onboard within months of Apple Pay's Oct. 2014 launch.

The international additions include Australia's Maritime Mining & Power Credit Union, and French support for Wirecard's mobile-based boon. Any Apple Pay expansion is significant in Australia, where some major banks have fought against its introduction, wanting access to NFC technology for their own platforms.

The full list of U.S. additions includes:
  • Bank of Central Florida
  • Bankers' Bank of Kansas
  • BankCherokee
  • Cal Poly Federal Credit Union
  • Citizens Federal Credit Union
  • Citizens National Bank of Greater St. Louis
  • Comercia Bank
  • Community One Credit Union
  • Community One Credit Union of Ohio
  • Connection Bank
  • Harborstone Credit Union
  • Meriwest Credit Union
  • Morgantown Bank & Trust
  • Nymeo
  • Pine Country Bank
  • PrimeSouth Bank
  • RTN Federal Credit Union
  • Star Choice Credit Union
  • Whiting Refinery Federal Credit Union
Beyond the countries mentioned above, Apple Pay is also available in Canada, China, Russia, Switzerland, the U.K., New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, and Japan. Merchant and card support can vary wildly, however -- while the paltform is well-supported in Japan for instance, Spanish support is still fledgling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Hopefully, all the Australian credit unions and minor banks joining will eventually force the "Big Three" to back down.
    lostkiwidouglas baileyKiwiintransit to somewherecalilowededwookiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yes we hope the second tier banks and credit unions in New Zealand will get on board as well at the moment only the ANZ Australian owned has Apple pay
    lowededwookiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    anome said:
    Hopefully, all the Australian credit unions and minor banks joining will eventually force the "Big Three" to back down.
    Yeah I'll have to switch to ANZ I think. I don't know much about this Maritime credit union (are there other credit unions too?)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    anome said:
    Yeah I'll have to switch to ANZ I think. I don't know much about this Maritime credit union (are there other credit unions too?)

There were a bunch of them in an earlier piece. Can't remember exactly which ones have turned it on.

I'd switch to ANZ if I didn't have a massive mortgage with Westpac. Even so, I'm still considering it. Does the ANZ app let you withdraw cash without your card?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Yes we hope the second tier banks and credit unions in New Zealand will get on board as well at the moment only the ANZ Australian owned has Apple pay

I'm really itching for Co-Operative Bank to get onboard.

Their mobile banking is fantastic and ApplePay support would make them stand out.

• Reply 6 of 6
    I'm glad I didn't wait to switch to ANZ. I'd still be waiting