LifeProof ships waterproof Nuud cases for Apple's iPhone 7 & 7 Plus

Posted:
in iPhone
OtterBox-owned LifeProof on Friday launched new versions of its waterproof Nuud cases, now tailored to Apple's iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

LifeProof iPhone 7 cases

While screenless, both cases are said to be waterproof to a depth of 6.6 feet for up to an hour, and protected against drops from the same height. By extension, their waterproofing guards against elements like dust and snow.

The cases also feature transparent backs to show off an iPhone's color and branding, and ports to redirect audio so it can still be clearly heard.

iPhone 7 case

The standard iPhone 7 Nuud case costs $99.99, and is shipping today in four colors: black, "mermaid teal," "midnight indigo blue," and "plum reef purple." The 7 Plus case costs the same with identical options, the only design differences being size and a wider camera port to accommodate the Plus's dual-lens system.

iPhone 7 Nuud case

The Nuud cases are actually $10 more expensive than most of LifeProof's Fre cases, also available for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, which do include built-in screen protectors to defend against smudging and scratches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Screen protector on the Fre is a big downside. It doesn't adhere to the screen, so it's like using the phone with a ziplock bag over it. Have really liked the Nuud on my last couple phones and will be picking one up for the 7+ for using it at the pool and beach.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    We all need cases that cost $100 and look like hell, make the iPhone difficult to use, to say nothing of discarding all that engineering to make it slim and comfortable in your hands...
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    lmagoo said:
    We all need cases that cost $100 and look like hell, make the iPhone difficult to use, to say nothing of discarding all that engineering to make it slim and comfortable in your hands...
    Personally, I've never had any major comfort problems with rugged cases, and I'm more than willing to trade looks for indestructibility. Not to say anything about the quality of these cases, just in general.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    lmagoo said:
    It's a specialty product for a certain use case. You may not need it, somebody at the beach or lake may. The great thing about Apple making the iPhone so thin is it enables versatility and add ons. 
    damn_its_hotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Dropped my iPhone 7 (with Apple leather case) in the bathtub. Was submerged for about 5 seconds. Turned it off, took it out of case, shook it off and dried it. Turned it on and worked just fine since. A couple of months before I fell waist deep in a creek with the phone in my pocket with the same result. If all you need is modest waterproofing, the 7 has you covered. 
    edited January 2017 damn_its_hotGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra