Better incarnation of Siri may appear alongside Apple's 2017 iPhones - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 138member
    wiggin said:
    Is there a technical reason why improvements to Siri are tied to hardware releases, or is this just a way to obsolete older devices and drive upgrade sales? Certainly there are some functions, such as always-on, which would depend on the hardware and OS; but general improvements to Siri's accuracy and relevance of responses I would think are more on the server side of things.

If Apple it stuck only improving Siri with hardware and major OS updates, it seems they are sort of self-limiting Siri's ability to keep up with the competition.

I presume that the update would be tied to iOS11 which would likely be officially out of beta some time around the launch of the iPhone. While it's not tied to hardware, the production releases usually coincide with the phone launches.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    My view on Siri is, that voice input is analyzed on Apples Servers and an answer or action is send back to your phone or tablet. If that is so, and Apple is pumping billions and billions of dollars in RnD in ever growing numbers, than why can´t Siri improve all the time and understand more and more correctly? Isn´t it like optimizing Maps based on user requests or inputs? Functionality might be something else, but what i read here and elsewhere, and experience myself quite often, means that Siri fails mostly in understanding correctly what the user says. 

So what stands in the way to improve the input analysis base of Siri continously, for a company with pockets as deep as Apples. Are they unable or unwilling to shine here?
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 63 of 64
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Does anyone disagree that a demo like I describe below would be a great (overdue) segment of an upcoming keynote:

Tim walks on stage.  "Let's talk about digital assistants and voice controls.  Apple was a pioneer in this space years ago with Siri, but the fact is that other companies have made big contributions in this area.  Today, I want to demonstrate that Apple has recommitted to this technology and is once again the clear leader."  Proceeds with a very impressive (and unassailably credible/fair) shootout between Siri (on the phone, the Mac, the watch, and AirPods) and the latest Amazon, Google, and MS offerings with Siri giving great answers to a robust series of questions and requests (and the other systems doing OK, but clearly a step behind).

I would love to see Apple do that demo, but unless AMAZING work has been happening in recent months, I don't except them to be ready in June. 

I would hate that. Apple is Apple and Siri is Siri. They shouldn't address he knockoffs or copycats. Imagine 7-Up comparing themselves to Twist Up.

Siri should be way ahead of the curve there's no excuse.

spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:
    Apple should pull Siri's "virtual plug" and license a better technology. Beyond finding "taco places in my area" Siri has proven pretty useless outside of small task and very simple questions and that's if it understand what I am asking. Apple appears to be a bit scattered with its focus these days, like a child with too many toys to play with they develop a service or product make a big deal out of it then move onto the next "great" idea and let the last one collect dusts. Time for Apple to be perfect a few things rather than dabble in fields others have now mastered. iOS in a complex nightmare these days when you need to change a setting quickly. Do us all a favor and strip it down and bring some joy back to your products and services. 
    You have a pretty cynical point of view, one which I don't experience or really think is as normal as you do. Others criticize apple for the very opposite -- saying "No" to too many things, and lament that they aren't doing more products ala "Tesla is so much further ahead than Apple!" (but...where can i buy a Tesla laptop?? so bizarre) 

Apple introduced the whole digital-assistant-on-mobile-phone-OS movement w/ the first Siri. it's completely normal to expect them to continue working on it and making it better. i dont know what people want to do w/ Siri but using it for simple tasks is its job to be done for me -- texts, reminders, music, home automation... would i like a Star Trek-style assistant that could handle requests like "Computer, summarize the War of the Roses"? sure, but I'm not expecting it to drop anytime soon.
    I have no illusions to asking Siri to make me a cup of tea anytime soon, however outside of the task you mentioned Siri skill set has not budge after all these years. Siri was a novelty and a "killer app" when Apple released it and then it was really beta software. The ease of use Apple and the Mac were famous for is long gone, iOS devices should be simple to use and I fear feature glut and a settings panel to match will make many of us look for more refined alternatives. My first cell phone was the original iPhone, I held of buying anything because I knew Apple would give us what none of the other mobile handset makers could, an easy to use, easy to navigate phone in a beautiful package. 
    iOS is still simple to use. my 70-something mother loves her ipad. Ditto for dad and his iphone. They don't go into Settings very often, and that's good. 

Is it it as simple as iphone OS 1? No, but it does way more. Good luck finding an Android phone that is easier to use. 
    Remember iOS also runs iPhones which has a bit more to it than an iPad. Some key settings are 4 deep and it is common to head down the wrong rabbit hole to find them. While we were not paying attention Apple overstuffed the preference panel, nightmare. 
    I remember iPad having more configurations since it's a more capable machine.