T-Mobile calls DirecTV Now 'barely watchable,' offers switchers from AT&T a free year of H...

Posted:
in General Discussion
T-Mobile taking advantage of the issues surrounding AT&T's DirecTV Now, by changing a promotion that offered new customers migrating from AT&T a year's DirecTV Now subscription to include a free year of Hulu.

Shortly after the launch of DirecTV Now, T-Mobile tried to tempt AT&T subscribers to its network by offering a free year of the new Internet TV service, if they switched carrier to T-Mobile. In light of the numerous problems DirecTV Now subscribers are experiencing, customers who changed over as part of the promotion are now being provided with a year of Hulu, as well as the DirecTV Now service.

Qualifying switchers will receive a notification from T-Mobile over the next few weeks, containing a unique code for a year of Hulu's Limited Commercials service. Both DirecTV Now and Hulu are covered by T-Mobile's Binge On offer, zero-rating streams so they do not count against any data allowances, though both services will typically stream at a low 480p resolution on T-Mobile's network due to throttling.

DirecTV Now users have complained about issues with the service since its launch, ranging from "Error 60" messages incorrectly suggesting too many video streams are in use on the account, stream interruptions during peak times, and being randomly signed out from apps. T-Mobile is using the complaints as an opportunity to attack AT&T as part of the Hulu announcement.

"It turns out DirecTV Now is barely watchable, but we've got our customer's backs," declared T-Mobile CEO and president John Legere, suggesting customers will enjoy using Hulu on the carrier's "faster, more advanced" network. "Even I can't believe AT&T spent $67 billion on DirecTV and still couldn't roll out a streaming service that worked!"

As part of the DirecTV Now launch, AT&T offered users a free fourth-generation Apple TV if customers paid for three months of the service in advance, as well as introductory price plan discounts. Despite the issues, AT&T reports it managed to exceed 200,000 paid subscribers within the first month of DirecTV Now's availability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Haha. Shots fired. He's always firing shots. [applause]
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Competition works.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    The original offer seems odd anyway. Leave AT&T and we'll reward you with a year subscription to an AT&T product. I know some folks have had connection issues with DirecTV NOW, but I've been using it for almost two months and I'm pretty happy with it. I've only had one or two connection issues that cleared up pretty quickly.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I'm taking my Free Apple TV and going elsewhere after my 3 month paid subscription is up next month if DirecTV Now can't get the following features working by then: (i) DVR (with fast forward); (ii) local networks (none in Miami); and, (iii) Single Sign On (SSO works with regular DirecTV).  

I left AT&T mobile for T-Mobile because of AT&T's inability to deliver on promises and I should have known better before signing up for DirecTV Now.
    cali
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Recently made the switch to T-Mobile and it's definitely more hype than substance with them. The service in my area for phone calls is terrible (Ft. lauderdale, FL). They just sent me a personal cell spot for the house. Very surprised to see say my old Sprint service was actually better. Price is good but I'm glad I bought my phone through Apple so I can switch services if things don't improve. 

Now or on topic, I think DIRECTV Now has been the best of the services I've tried. Did 3 months with them and have also done trials with Sling & PS Vue. Sling TV, to me, was unwatchable. PS Vue was solid but for the price I'd rather stick with cable. More reliable. Still waiting for something that offers local broadcast channels in my area. I'm a sports fan so not having NBC, ABC, CBS & Fox sucks. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 6 of 11
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    I'm taking my Free Apple TV and going elsewhere after my 3 month paid subscription is up next month if DirecTV Now can't get the following features working by then: (i) DVR (with fast forward); (ii) local networks (none in Miami); and, (iii) Single Sign On (SSO works with regular DirecTV).  

I left AT&T mobile for T-Mobile because of AT&T's inability to deliver on promises and I should have known better before signing up for DirecTV Now.
    PlayStation Vue.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    Since I'm on AT&T for mobile access, I decided to subscribe to DirecTV Now while the $35 promotion was on so that we'd have something to watch when camping in our RV (assuming we were in range of a tower). I have to say that on AT&T's cellular and Spectrum/Time Warner's broadband networks, the quality is quite good. I do get the occasional error about both streams in use, but if I back out and come back in, the error usually goes away.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    How cheesy of T-Mobile.  That is a sign that DirecTV Now has cost them some customers.

AT&T needs to focus on the AppleTV architecture and support it better:

1.  Focus on Single Signon and authentication for the content provider applications.
    2.  Increase the number of simultaneous streams
    3.  Better SIRI support in AT&T streaming app. (If item 1 is thoroughly implemented then the AT&T streaming app is not needed.)
  • Reply 9 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    supadav03 said:
    Recently made the switch to T-Mobile and it's definitely more hype than substance with them. The service in my area for phone calls is terrible (Ft. lauderdale, FL). They just sent me a personal cell spot for the house. Very surprised to see say my old Sprint service was actually better. Price is good but I'm glad I bought my phone through Apple so I can switch services if things don't improve. 

Now or on topic, I think DIRECTV Now has been the best of the services I've tried. Did 3 months with them and have also done trials with Sling & PS Vue. Sling TV, to me, was unwatchable. PS Vue was solid but for the price I'd rather stick with cable. More reliable. Still waiting for something that offers local broadcast channels in my area. I'm a sports fan so not having NBC, ABC, CBS & Fox sucks. 
    There's something for that which costs $10: OTA antenna
    supadav03
  • Reply 10 of 11
    fallenjt said:
    supadav03 said:

I here that, and it's a valid point, but i prefer an all in one solution with ease of use. Cable sucks in a lot of ways but it's still easier to flip channels than switching inputs whenever i wanna flip between ESPN and CBS to keeps tabs on 2 games. I know there is also the Channels app, but again, it's not simple. Now I have to buy addition equipment and service to have it intergrated into my streaming options. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 11 of 11
    supadav03 said:
    fallenjt said:
    supadav03 said:

I here that, and it's a valid point, but i prefer an all in one solution with ease of use. Cable sucks in a lot of ways but it's still easier to flip channels than switching inputs whenever i wanna flip between ESPN and CBS to keeps tabs on 2 games. I know there is also the Channels app, but again, it's not simple. Now I have to buy addition equipment and service to have it intergrated into my streaming options. 
    This looks like good content for a First World Problem meme...

;-)