Apple smashes expectations: record setting $78.4B in revenue on sales of 78.3M iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
     How about you divide each quarter by the number of weeks and then tell us the comparison.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 22 of 81
    anomeanome Posts: 1,544member
    eightzero said:
    doomed

Doomed! I say, Doomed!
    cali
  • Reply 23 of 81
    Apple always beats detractors. More money for me.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Impressive quarter. The only downside is that iPhone sales make up an even larger percentage of Apple's revenue. This poses significant downside risks, should sales flatten or not meet/exceed expectations in the future. So while this is good news for Apple shareholders, they need to double their efforts to increase Mac, iPad, and Watch sales while developing products in new categories. 
  • Reply 25 of 81
    Remember how Walt Mossberg praised the Note 7 being innovative even with the exploding battery disaster while labeling iPhones 7, 7 Plus boring?

Give me 78.3 million boring iPhones over the innovative recalled exploding Note 7 batteries any day of the year! 
    Filed under my "Walt Mossberg is now a troll" folder. 
    Soliwatto_cobrapscooter63cali
  • Reply 26 of 81
    karmadave said:
    Impressive quarter. The only downside is that iPhone sales make up an even larger percentage of Apple's revenue. This poses significant downside risks, should sales flatten or not meet/exceed expectations in the future. So while this is good news for Apple shareholders, they need to double their efforts to increase Mac, iPad, and Watch sales while developing products in new categories. 
    Does Google need to develop new product categories, for the day people no longer want ads? What about auto makers and cars?
    edited January 2017 tdknoxwatto_cobrapscooter63macike-losnetmagecali
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Hot damn!!!

Amazing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Remember how Walt Mossberg praised the Note 7 being innovative even with the exploding battery disaster while labeling iPhones 7, 7 Plus boring?

Give me 78.3 million boring iPhones over the innovative recalled exploding Note 7 batteries any day of the year! 
    Filed under my "Walt Mossberg is now a troll" folder. 
    Because Mossberg is part of the Vox/The Verge crap heap now.
    tmaywatto_cobraargonautcali
  • Reply 29 of 81
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Mac sales on the typically HIGHER END @ 5.4 million units.

Take note, folks. 
    Not only that, Cook says that the Mac revenues set a new record.
    But they didn't bust the record by enough so obviously the new MBP was an epic failure.  Or at least thats what some folks will claim after saying for weeks that the mac revenues will be soft and just wait for the quarterly report. *cough*Avon*cough*.

Amazingly services revenue is now about the size of Facebook's revenue...
    StrangeDayswatto_cobranetmagecali
  • Reply 30 of 81
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:
    OK, so who wants to go back and pull comments from posters that guaranteed us that their quarterly earnings were going to suck because Cook sold a little stock after the new year and before taxes were due?
    These users need to be called out and publicly humiliated. All those posts in here about how disappointing the iPhone 7 is. All those posts screaming bloody murder about the removal of the headphone jack and how that would kill the iPhone for good. All those posts demanding Cook be fired. And I’ll bet not single one will come in here and say, “I was wrong.” 
    edited February 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobrabrucemcpscooter63netmagecali
  • Reply 31 of 81
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Take note, folks. 
    Not only that, Cook says that the Mac revenues set a new record. And clearly they would have sold even more if they had been able to keep up with demand for the new MBP, which still had an order backlog of a few weeks at the end of the quarter.
    Oh and those new MBPs are such failed products aren’t they.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobrabrucemccali
  • Reply 32 of 81
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,140member
    lkrupp said:

Take note, folks. 
    Not only that, Cook says that the Mac revenues set a new record. And clearly they would have sold even more if they had been able to keep up with demand for the new MBP, which still had an order backlog of a few weeks at the end of the quarter.
    They're over on MacRumors right now, posting about how these numbers just show that Apple is only out to please shareholders, not customers, and that Apple is doomed because ... ah whatever. I'm just wondering how many of them are paid trolls and how many are just unhappy people who would complain if they were given a free bar of gold because it's too heavy and didn't include a convenient carrying case.
    edited February 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobrapscooter63argonautnetmagecali
  • Reply 33 of 81
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    AppleZulu said:
    lkrupp said:

Take note, folks. 
    They're over on MacRumors right now, posting about how these numbers just show that Apple is only out to please shareholders, not customers, and that Apple is doomed because ... ah whatever. I'm just wondering how many of them are paid trolls and how many are just unhappy people who would complain if they were given a free bar of gold because it's too heavy and didn't include a convenient carrying case.
    1) Apple misses the street: Apple could have done better if they listened to customers.
    2) Apple beats the street: Apple only listens to shareholders.

I'm sure they made comments against Cook and how things would be different under Jobs despite these being the same people that said Apple was doomed under Jobs.
    edited February 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobrabrucemcpscooter63argonautcali
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    blastdoor said:
    Mac revenue passes iPad revenue -- nice!

Amazing what the Mac can do with few updates and little to no advertising. I think it speaks to the strength of macOS and the high build quality of Apple's aging hardware. 

Now just imagine how well the Mac could do if Apple lifted a finger! 

Can't admit you were wrong, eh :-)

With  figures like that, Apple has proven that concentrating on its evolving customer base was the right thing do.  As everyone with an ounce of common sense will tell you, they will continue with the Mac line that will support the same evolving customer base. Don't expect the next Mac to have ten drives bays (or even one) or ten slots for your SCSI cards. 
    edited January 2017 tmaywatto_cobrabrucemcpscooter63argonautcali
  • Reply 35 of 81
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    OK, so who wants to go back and pull comments from posters that guaranteed us that their quarterly earnings were going to suck because Cook sold a little stock after the new year and before taxes were due?
    These asshats need to be called out and publicly humiliated. All those posts in here about how disappointing the iPhone 7 is. All those posts screaming bloody murder about the removal of the headphone jack and how that would kill the iPhone for good. All those posts demanding Cook be fired. And I’ll bet not single one of you have the balls to come in here and say, “I was wrong.” 
    Yep... those same folks (and I know quite a few of them here on AI) are being mysteriously quiet right now... they must be stuffing their pie-holes with a second helping of humble pie at the corner diner.
    watto_cobrapscooter63argonautcali
  • Reply 36 of 81
    This was a gift from samsung. If their phones didn't explode, these sales figures would be very different. 
    edited January 2017 brucemcwilliamlondoncali
  • Reply 37 of 81
    mike fix said:
    This was a gift from samsung. If their phones didn't explode, these sales figures would be very different. 
    LOL.  We have a winner in the glass-is-half-empty category!
    tmayStrangeDayspalominewatto_cobrabrucemcpscooter63williamlondonargonautmrboba1netmage
  • Reply 38 of 81
    karmadave said:
    Does Google need to develop new product categories, for the day people no longer want ads? What about auto makers and cars?
    Yes, good point. Google earns >85% with its revenue ad business. No analyst ever realized any problem.
    tmayStrangeDayswatto_cobranetmagecali
  • Reply 39 of 81
    sflocal said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    These users need to be called out and publicly humiliated. All those posts in here about how disappointing the iPhone 7 is. All those posts screaming bloody murder about the removal of the headphone jack and how that would kill the iPhone for good. All those posts demanding Cook be fired. And I’ll bet not single one of you have the balls to come in here and say, “I was wrong.” 
    Yep... those same folks (and I know quite a few of them here on AI) are being mysteriously quiet right now... they must be stuffing their pie-holes with a second helping of humble pie at the corner diner.

lkrupp said:

Take note, folks. 
    They're waiting for new orders. They'll be back soon. They have to. ;-)
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 81
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    People predicted a total earnings drop of 15 to 25 percent.
    • "It's so unnerving."
    • "I know it's going to crash. Why isn't it crashing already?"
    • "I'm down $12,000 already, that's [expletive] nuts, man!"
    • "Stop moving up, no!"
    • And to ease the tension, he soothed himself with Katy Perry's "Fireworks" and fielded viewer questions.
    • "I'm retiring after this."
    • "What would I do with the money? There is a suit that I want to buy. A furry suit."
    • And he acknowledged the capacity of investors aware of his short to intentionally skew figures.
    • "With 14,000 people watching, you guys could really mess with me."
    And then, Apple released its report.
    • "Oh, no."
    And as reality sunk in, Comeau howled. And kept howling. And crying. And throwing his pre-popped, celebratory champagne bottle.
    • "How much did I lose? $150,000."
    • "But it's not over."
    • "I'm so [expletive] so dead."
    • "One time in my life, I have to get lucky. And I didn't get it. That's all I'm asking for. Of course I can get it."
    • "Got [expletive] in the [expletive] by Martin Shrkeli and all his friends!"
    • "Maybe it's going to crash? Maybe?"
    • "Oh my [expletive] God. I'm going to lose everything I got."
    There was a timeless stretch of blank camera stares, and then the sound of dry heaving. With mask still on, he pulled out a trashcan, and vomited more than his life savings.

Quoted from Benzinga, take it with a grain of humor salt.

randominternetperson