Google ends Hands Free mobile payments pilot, iOS app will stop working Feb. 8

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2017
Hands Free, a pilot app from Google that let customers perform mobile payments in stores without needing to present their iPhone or Android smartphone at the checkout, will shut down next month after almost a year of testing.

Introduced in March for iOS and Android, Hands Free aimed to simplify the payment process for its users by allowing for confirmation of identity to be performed by the cashier. In theory, this allows for customers to conduct transactions with their payment cards and mobile phones safely stowed away in pockets or bags, leaving their hands free to carry their purchases and other items.

Hands Free used a combination of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and location services to determine what store the smartphone owner is inside, and if it was a retailer participating in the program. At the point of payment, customers would advise they planned to "pay with Google," with the cashier able to check the user's identity using a photograph on the payment terminal's display.

A notice on the project's website revealed it will be shutting down next week, with users unable to make payments using the mobile apps from Feb. 8. Stores in the San Francisco Bay Area participating in the scheme will also find the payment system will be unavailable from the same date.

Google advises it will be working to "bring the best of the Hands Free technology to even more people and stores" following the app's closure. While Google "can't share any more details" about where the project is headed, it is likely some of the technology involved in its creation could be rolled into Android Pay, the company's own NFC-based mobile payments platform and main competition to Apple Pay.

Alternative forms of mobile-based payments are also being trialled by other tech companies, looking to offer customers a streamlined shopping experience. In December, Amazon revealed it's first ever grocery store called "Amazon Go," which relied on customers checking in to the store with an app before being able to collect any shopping they want and leaving, with their Amazon account automatically billed based on what was taken.

For the moment, consumers are still enjoying the use of Apple Pay, with the number of transactions up 500 percent year-on-year, according to Apple's recent quarterly financial results. The high usage helped boost the "Services" segment of Apple's business to $7.17 billion for the quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I remember my Android loving friend excitedly linking me to this, and bragging how it was "so much better than Apple Pay". Like 90% of poorly thought out Google projects create solely for hype with no real thought of mass usage, I knew Google should shut it down shortly. And..I was right, on cue.
    calisockrolidjbdragonsuddenly newtonmkrewsonHerbivore2watto_cobranetmagedoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Never heard of it.

....and of course Google would share your photos with retail chains.

slurpy said:
    I remember my Android loving friend excitedly linking me to this, and bragging how it was "so much better than Apple Pay". Like 90% of poorly thought out Google projects create solely for hype with no real thought of mass usage, I knew Google should shut it down shortly. And..I was right, on cue.

Tell him the ApplePay competitor is dead. 
    edited February 2017 sockrolidjbdragonwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    slurpy said:
    I think it was an "invite" only test, restricted to a single city and a few select stores. It's wasn't ever intended to be a public or permanent app. Google of course is hinting that at least some of it might be rolled into Android Pay but who knows.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 4 of 39
    To use Alphabet/Google for anything other than search is totally absurd!!
    sockrolidcaliwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    slurpy said:
    I'm surprised that no one at Google spotted the epic fail right at the heart of the scheme: the photograph and the cashier. 

For security it relies on you not changing your hairstyle or going out in drag (hey! It's my weekend!). It relies on the cashier not being short-sighted and actually giving hoot whether it's you or not. 

This is worse than PIN numbers. 

Well, with any luck they'll learn something from it (like it's safer to just copy what Apple does. There's a vague chance they've thought it through). 
    sockrolidcaliwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 39
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    lmagoo said:
    97% of Google's revenue comes from ads.
    Everything else is just a public relations stunt to make you like them.
    (Think "Hansel and Gretel" - the evil witch lures kids with her gingerbread house...)
    jbdragonEsquireCatswatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 39
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    So yet another Google fail that will get little outside news reporting. All fanfare when announced and launched, and then crickets when yet something else of Google fails yet again. Let me tell you, it's a pretty LONG list of failed Google things.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Rayz2016 said:
    slurpy said:
    I'm surprised that no one at Google spotted the epic fail right at the heart of the scheme: the photograph and the cashier. 

For security it relies on you not changing your hairstyle or going out in drag (hey! It's my weekend!). It relies on the cashier not being short-sighted and actually giving hoot whether it's you or not. 

This is worse than PIN numbers. 

Well, with any luck they'll learn something from it (like it's safer to just copy what Apple does. There's a vague chance they've thought it through). 
    FWIW Google was doing what Appel does now several years ago with Google Wallet... :) 
     Separate hardware-based secure element, tokenized credentials so that the CC number and personal info wasn't exposed to the store, fingerprint authentication, bank partnerships...
    Google just didn't have the negotiating power of Apple and allowed the carriers to interfere. The more they tried to change things to please 'em the more entrenched those carriers became, and not much Google could do about it. But Apple has the power. 
    calijbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 39
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Rayz2016 said:
    slurpy said:
    ... no real thought of mass usage, I knew Google should shut it down shortly.

To expand on your thoughts, it also requires honest cashiers. If hands free were in wide use, people would quickly realize that a lost/stolen phone + dishonest cashier = mobile ATM.
    caliwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 10 of 39
    lmagoo said:

There fixed it for you.

Grimzahncalijbdragonwatto_cobra[Deleted User]doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 39
    lmagoo said:
    Uh...no. Their app for Maps is still vastly superior.  Same goes for gmail and it is improving as well. Google calendar also good and improving.  Google Keep is pretty good. And i will take Google Drive over iCloud any day. For me, the Google music app/service is also superior...And they all work beautifully on my iPad. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ike17055 said:
    lmagoo said:
    Uh...no. Their app for Maps is still vastly superior.  Same goes for gmail and it is improving as well. Google calendar also good and improving.  Google Keep is pretty good. And i will take Google Drive over iCloud any day. For me, the Google music app/service is also superior...And they all work beautifully on my iPad. 
    I think they mean the fact you have to hand over your personal info to them. Using Google Drive over iCloud is the most absurd.

It's funny how iHaters try to make up these crazy situations that could make Apple Pay insecure, for example the mad scientist steals your iPhone, dusts for fingerprints and makes a replica of your thumb in his lab to unlock your iPhone.

iPhone uses a FINGERPRINT, the most unique thing about you. This photo method is stupid considering a lot of teens use their siblings IDs to get into bars, twins exist, people shave beards and some people, like myself, have a hard time differentiating faces and I WAS A CASHIER!!

add to the fact females hate ID pictures but if Google allows you to upload your best pic you'll have girls who look nothing like their profile pic ;)
    causing more confusion than a single fingerprint. 
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 39
    ike17055 said:
    lmagoo said:
    I don't really have a need to use maps on an iPad. Apple maps works just fine and is good enough. I only ever use it on the phone. 

There isn't anything that Google produces that I even want. Not even search. I myself find Bing superior. 

I will say that occasionally I will go to YouTube for a how to video. Like details in programming my home automation system. But that's it. I make certain to do the search from Bing too, not in the YouTube web page. 

To use Google for anything is totally absurd from my perspective. By the way, more and more of my friends and colleagues have turned to Bing for default search.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 39
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    LOL. That was *exactly* what I thought as well when I read his comment.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Looks like my quoted text didn't work as expected. Thanks Rotatebyteleft for fixing the "To use Alphabet/Google for anything other than search is totally absurd!!" comment with strikethru.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Herbivore2 said: "To use Google for anything is totally absurd from my perspective. By the way, more and more of my friends and colleagues have turned to Bing for default search. "

Why not turn to a privacy-oriented search engine like DuckDuckGo or StartPage instead?

DuckDuckGo probably doesn't return *quite* as good of results as Google, but they have other very nice features.

StartPage generally has excellent search results, and they have the added benefit of being a German company, with very strong laws supporting privacy.

Bing/Microsoft, unfortunately, has been veering toward the google-esque road of sucking up all their customers' personal data, much of it not only without explicit permission, but quite literally unblockable by end users. This is separate from search, happening merely by having a windows10 computer connected to the internet without an external firewall specifically set up to block this behavior.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    gatorguy said:
    slurpy said:
    I think it was an "invite" only test, restricted to a single city and a few select stores. It's wasn't ever intended to be a public or permanent app. Google of course is hinting that at least some of it might be rolled into Android Pay but who knows.
    So, you're saying this was Google's goal? To have it limited to a single city and then to shut it down? Really? I don't believe that, at all. It probably got close to zero adoption in their "test" market, an a ton of negative feedback and security/reiability/useability issues, which is why it didn't make it past a "beta test". Don't try to pretend this is what Google aspired to. They simply came out with a half-baked product, yet again, that was nowhere near ready for widescale adoption, and then killed it when it inevitably failed. 
    gatorguy said:
    FWIW Google was doing what Appel does now several years ago with Google Wallet... :) 
     Separate hardware-based secure element, tokenized credentials so that the CC number and personal info wasn't exposed to the store, fingerprint authentication, bank partnerships...
    Google just didn't have the negotiating power of Apple and allowed the carriers to interfere. The more they tried to change things to please 'em the more entrenched those carriers became, and not much Google could do about it. But Apple has the power. 
    They also didn't have the willpower to make it work. Google often believes throwing something out there to say they "did it first" is what matters, without following up and doing whats necessary to make it a success. And no, you're wrong. Google Wallet only morphed into an Apple Pay duplicate after Apple Pay was released, not before. Apple Pay didn't magically become a success.. Apple painstakingly looked at every single angle before release, and made sure all the components were there to make it a solid experience. That was never the case with Google Wallet, even on Google branded devices. 
    watto_cobranetmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 39
    jbdragon said:
    So yet another Google fail that will get little outside news reporting. All fanfare when announced and launched, and then crickets when yet something else of Google fails yet again. Let me tell you, it's a pretty LONG list of failed Google things.
    Most of Google's ideas are half baked. They supposedly have all of these bright people but obviously have little clue as to what the consumer is willing to pay for. It's not Google Glass and it certainly isn't self driving vehicles either. Google+ has failed, Google wallet has failed (I cannot even begin to count the number of times I used Amazon one click), Froogle has failed, Google fiber has failed (they wanted free access to AT&T's poles), the Motorola purchase has failed, Nest has essentially failed, their partnerships with Apple, Samsung, LG, and Huawei have failed. They now have HTC building the Pixel. When that one fails, they can always and try to exploit Xiaomi. It is doubtful that Sony/Ericsson builds phones for them after Xiaomi fails also. 

Apple makes nearly all of the hardware profits in smartphones. Samsung would like to move away from Android and onto Tizen. They make the only non Apple smartwatch worth purchasing and it doesn't run Android wear. 

The only property that Google owns worth much is Youtube. And Amazon has built a competitive site. I find using Amazon superior as a prime member. The video selection is admittedly limited in comparison to YouTube but it's getting better all the time. 
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    blah64 said:
    Herbivore2 said: "To use Google for anything is totally absurd from my perspective. By the way, more and more of my friends and colleagues have turned to Bing for default search. "

Why not turn to a privacy-oriented search engine like DuckDuckGo or StartPage instead?

DuckDuckGo probably doesn't return *quite* as good of results as Google, but they have other very nice features.

StartPage generally has excellent search results, and they have the added benefit of being a German company, with very strong laws supporting privacy.

Bing/Microsoft, unfortunately, has been veering toward the google-esque road of sucking up all their customers' personal data, much of it not only without explicit permission, but quite literally unblockable by end users. This is separate from search, happening merely by having a windows10 computer connected to the internet without an external firewall specifically set up to block this behavior.
    My default is DuckDuckGo.  I find that it works quite well.  What Google search does is give you a bunch of pages of garbage that had nothing to do with your search.  I was looking for a manual for a device at work.  The only thing Google had was some book type company.  Where I found a manual, but I couldn't get a copy and it opened up like a book.  It sucked. Went to DuckDuckGo and the first listing was a PDF file of the manual I needed and copied into my computer and then printed out and put into a binder, where I was then able to get the system up and running for the first time in years, as it had never worked as long I I had been there.  So thanks duckduckgo.  Give it a try for a week.  Don't just default to Google.  It's so nice not to get a bunch of ads and be spied on.

Google is in fact a advertising company #1.  That is how they make most of their money.  You are Google's product.  They don't give you free stuff out of the goodness of their heart.  They are making money from you using their products. If you're ok giving yourself to Google, have at it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Google innovating trivial fraud.
    watto_cobra