Launch of Apple's delayed BeatsX earbuds 'imminent,' stock check site claims

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's long-delayed BeatsX earbuds, one of the first to feature the company's new W1 wireless chip, may finally be on the verge of shipping, according to a website monitoring activity at online stores worldwide.

A flurry of product stock activity was spotted on Tuesday, iStockNow said, including even a brief false positive in Europe. Apple is allegedly "all ready" at its storefronts, and some more activity was spotted at the U.S. branch of Best Buy.

Apple's store page currently lists the BeatsX as "coming February." Best Buy, meanwhile, lists the product as "coming soon."

Apple originally announced the earbuds in September, alongside the iPhone 7 and three other headphone offerings, including the AirPods, Powerbeats3, and Solo3. Those products shipped in the fall, but in December the BeatsX was officially delayed until this month.

Like its siblings, the BeatsX is based on Apple's W1 wireless chip, which offers better Bluetooth connectivity and easier pairing with Apple devices. At $149.95, it's also Apple's cheapest new offering, especially for shoppers who still want tethered earpieces.

The buds also feature Beats's "Fast Fuel" charging, and magnetic tips that lock together.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    TomSawyerTomSawyer Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Have any tech specs on the drivers and frequency response been published for these?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    "Lightning to USB-A charging cable"
    Wow Apple, just wow!
    williamlondonuktechie
  • Reply 3 of 12
    It will be interesting to see if these (with their W1 chip) exhibit the same intermittent connection problems that have affected some AirPods users (especially with 6s phones).  Knowing that -- either way -- would help diagnose the AirPods root cause.
    edited February 2017 jahblade
  • Reply 4 of 12
    noelosnoelos Posts: 126member
    Really looking forward to seeing some in-depth hands-on reviews with these - especially in the context of working out.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Wow Apple, just wow!
    99% of the potential market has USB A still. Grow up and stop complaining about a $5 USB C to A adapter. 
    watto_cobrajahbladeStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I'd rather have Studio Beats updated with W1 chip and updated active noise cancellation. 
    john.b
  • Reply 7 of 12
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    vukasika said:
    I'd rather have Studio Beats updated with W1 chip and updated active noise cancellation. 
    Or the Beats Pill+, or any other wireless headphones or speakers. Why Apple waits entire product cycles to update with the latest tech is beyond me.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Wow Apple, just wow!
    Most people still run USB-A chargers at home/work/in the car. Not to mention computer ports. 

If you do happen to have a new MBP and any remotely recent iPhone/iPad, you probably already have the 1m or 2m USB-C-to-Lightning cable. If not, I recommend picking one up ASAP. The solution to the so-called "dongle life" is to get the cables you need with the correct connectors on each end. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 12
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Wow Apple, just wow!
    Why would Apple put a USB C cable in the box of a product which is mass market. You need to do more thinking not blogging
    williamlondonjohn.bStrangeDaysuktechie
  • Reply 10 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    BeatsX vs Apple AirPods?

Why?   Is Apple competing with itself?  
  • Reply 11 of 12
    BeatsX vs Apple AirPods?

Why?   Is Apple competing with itself?  
    Beats has a huge following outside of Apple.
    welshdog
  • Reply 12 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    john.b said:
    vukasika said:
    Or the Beats Pill+, or any other wireless headphones or speakers. Why Apple waits entire product cycles to update with the latest tech is beyond me.
    Because they don't fall off trees fully formed. Things get rolled out everywhere, that's not some mysterious Apple shortcoming. 
    williamlondon