New batch of LG UltraFine 5K displays will have enhanced RF shielding, may not completely ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Panzarino on Gruber's Talk Show has another theory on why no Apple monitor: he's heard that engineering one is as much a project for them as designing a new computer, and they can't spare the resources right now. 

Then they go back and forth, how the hell could Apple lack resources? Why not just hire the engineers? Neither one of them mentions the screamingly obvious reason — they are building a $7 billion headquarters so they can expand their ability to do more engineering projects at one time! Guess what, they'll have space to bring them together in one building! 

Back to my old refrain: why can't people reason causationally anymore? Even Panzarino, who's one of the best out there . . .
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 22 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    flaneur said:
    Neither one of them mentions the screamingly obvious reason — they are building a $7 billion headquarters so they can expand their ability to do more engineering projects at one time! Guess what, they'll have space to bring them together in one building! 

Back to my old refrain: why can't people reason causationally anymore? Even Panzarino, who's one of the best out there . . .
    They are reasoning causally, they just came up with a different cause and I suspect neither the building nor the engineering are the cause. The vast majority of Macs Apple sells (over 90%) already have a display. For the remainder, a $1000 price tag is pretty high for just a display when large IPS displays can be bought for ~$200.

When they introduced the updated Mac Pro 3 years ago, they marketed it as being able to support 4K displays but used 3rd party displays (Sharp?):

They've had more than 3 years to make a UHD display of their own. If they wanted to wait for 5K support over a single cable that's understandable but then they'd wait until the iMacs had TB3 so they can use the same parts and they can also have iMacs work as target displays. It looks like they just don't want to make standalone displays any more.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    flaneur said:
    If "Apple made this display," they would have to use this same LG hardware because no one else can make IGZO LCDs like this at the present time.
    The difference being LG would have made it to Apple's design. When talking about shielding, that aluminum case of the iMacs and the Apple displays goes a long way to reducing interference, both ways, as opposed to the plastic enclosures of virtually every other display made.

The exact cause of the router interference remains to be seen though, since it hasn't been a problem that we haven't heard of before. Of course, that could be because it hasn't happened to an 'Apple' product before.

zroger73
  • Reply 24 of 26
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Marvin said:
    It looks like they just don't want to make standalone displays any more.
    I think that's the long and short of it. Even when the Campus II is launched, I don't see them going back into the display business. Or the router business, for that matter. 

Most tech writers who seem to actually have a source inside Apple regular if not frequently write about lack of engineers and other resources. Tim could through money at the problem but until he repatriates the treasure chest he's probably being careful about spending. 

It's not the best performing display around but I like the look of my LED Cinema Display (27") both on and off. It'll probably be the last standalone display I'll buy. If I want a 4/5K display, it'll have to be with an iMac. Maybe one day someone else will make one that looks as good off as it does on.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Why didn't Apple just make their own display? Seems that's what everyone wanted.
    Doesn't fit in Tim Cook's Apple. Anything that does not fit in his vision gets axed. Displays, Airport, iPods (soon and yes, people still buy them), MacBook Air and one of his own babies, the Mac Pro. 

That display is butt ugly and does not belong in an Apple Store. It feels cheap quality wise. This is a prime example of "Steve would never allow that".  This goes against Apple quoting Steve Jobs about quality. You probably have all heard of the story about how his father taught him about quality with furniture and a fence. This POS display would never be seen at an Apple Store. Tim should have just bought the panels and had his team make a new display. It would have sold better than the gold watch, and cost a lot less. 
    Indeed... if a Kardashian or Chinese fashionista (IMO the new Apple Power Users) aren't going to Instagram it, then it's not part of the Apple Vision...
  • Reply 26 of 26
    flaneur said:
    zroger73 said:
    I doubt this issue would exist had Apple made this display.

I simply can't shake the image of the bottom-tier GoldStar televisions and radios lining the shelves of Walmart and dollar stores back in the 80s-90s. A name change to LG (Lucky GoldStar) doesn't help. Today, LG makes mid-tier products at best.
    Pay attention. LG makes the iMac 5K display.

If "Apple made this display," they would have to use this same LG hardware because no one else can make IGZO LCDs like this at the present time.
    YOU pay attention. LG makes certain components of the display assembly used inside the 5K Retina iMac. Among the things LG does NOT make for this appliation are the power supply and enclosure and buttons. I hope you also realize that Apple has the ability to specify higher quality standards when having components made for them that they use in their applications.