Apple's Campus 2 repeatedly delayed by emphasis on perfecting small details, profile says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    sog35 said:
    Tim Cook again showing why he's the best CEO in the world

The guy is the MAN.

I'm glad I stuck with Cook and Apple.

Just checked my Apple shares.....its up another $2000 the last 2 days.

Apple will see $150 this year, nothing is going to stop it this time
    Will you return to your hysteric criticism of Cook when the stock next loses value?
    Guaranteed.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    The USA still stuck in a non metric world. The vast majority of the world uses architectural and mechanical dimensions in millimetres. Whole millimetres, no fractions (of course) or decimals. Tolerances are clearly stated in the project specifications, and often in the legend of the drawing. I've never heard of them being renegotiated after AFC (Approved For Construction) drawings are issued; this in 35 years of industrial construction and engineering in a dozen countries, including the USA. 

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 43 of 51
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member

What do they mean exactly by the doors having a "zero height threshold"? The saddle? If so, what is big deal doing that? That's not uncommon...

Plus that would only be for exterior doors I'd imagine, as few interior doors I've seen have a saddle.

Unless I'm visualizing the wrong thing...

• Reply 44 of 51
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    mac_128 said:
    nht said:
    big8ce said:
    neilm said:
    Emphasis on perfecting small details — ya think? This is Apple, after all.

BTW, I don't see anything unreasonable in insisting on zero height thresholds. This would also be an accessibility issue.
    I have to agree with the Architects on this one. Construction is not like electronics. Wood, concrete and drywall expand and contract over the years due to the temperature and moisture in the air. It would be foolish to have a zero height threshold knowing that sometime down the line either the floor or the door will expand or contract creating an issue.
    None of our interior doors have thresholds in our building with the exception of the bathrooms and ESD rooms.   The floors are largely 10" concrete slab and no thresholds required or desired. Requiring zero thresholds is a complete non-issue.  Even fire doors have no thresholds in the stairwell and the corridor.  

Evidently the construction manager never built a hospital either.  Huge buildings where you can roll patients everywhere.

Heck, there are no thresholds in my house except for the exterior doors and the bathrooms.
    It depends on what your needs are. All of the doors in my office suite have thresholds that are recessed into the floor for the purposes of soundproofing. They create an airtight seal around the entire perimeter. Perhaps most of Apple's offices won't need this level of security, but a fair amount of them might knowing Apple. 
    We have automatic door bottoms on conference room and lab doors for sound proofing.

These rooms meet DOD standards for classified discussions which may be too low for Apple :)
    xiamenbill
  • Reply 45 of 51
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    It is a contrast in styles, where you have one industry that adheres to tolerances in 1/2-inch increments (construction) dealing with a company that deals in nanometer tolerances. Something's gotta give--the one with the deeper pockets wins. 
  • Reply 46 of 51
    bathurststbathurstst Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    15 callouts from the fire chief? Apple should be so lucky! I worked in a small bookshop with an even smaller office and a smallish basement. The hoops we had to jump through and the surprising number of exit signs put in as well as maps of exits that were glued to walls and all the procedures we had to learn was remarkable for such a small outfit. Methinks Apple is slightly bigger. And thereby needs slightly greater fire procedures in place.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Total hit piece with the intent of making Apple employees look like they don't understand the construction business and were making ridiculous demands of the contractors. Nothing I hate more than people under an NDA blabbing to the media.
    They probably don't understand the construction business.   Insisting on tight tolerances is not an issue.   Insisting on no door thresholds is not an issue (I sometimes work in a WeWork space and there's no door thresholds).   Insisting on beauty in things no one is ever to see or touch is quite another and IMO, a complete waste of money in spite of what Jobs father taught him.  And I have to wonder whether Apple appointed a "single point of contact" or whether the contractors had to do deal with random opinions and directives coming from multiple sources.    

And how do you know Apple employees or their contractors are under NDA concerning the buidling?   I think Apple should have a very advanced headquarters because it's as much a brand for the company as it is a workplace, but $5 billion?   Maybe they could have "changed the world" more by lowering prices instead.   

Those contractors who walked away probably did so because they thought Apple was going to drive them so crazy that they would lose money on a project that they originally thought would make them a fortune.  I consult for a company that walked away from a large software development project some years ago because the client insisted upon things way beyond the scope of the contract and not only was unwilling to pay for those things, but was holding payment hostage until we agreed to do so.  Walking away was the right thing to do as that client would have put the company out of business by their demands.   

And for those who 'want to see the place', I think you're dreaming.   Apple is so paranoid about secrecy that unless one has official business, I doubt anyone is getting onto that campus.   Just looking at the drone videos, I still wonder whether there are going to be giant traffic jams getting in and out.   If there are, Apple is going to wind up looking foolish.    
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Either you do things right or you don't. And if you do ... well, then panels have to polished both sides. Its that simple.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,695member
    dewme said:
    No problemo. Spending billions in total and then compromising on the fine details of fit & finish for the sake of expediency simply does not make sense. This is what world class "build quality" is all about boys and girls. This is no different than how Rolls Royce scrutinizes all the fine details of the fit & finish of their automobiles to the fingertip and trained eye level. I'd expect no less for Apple's cathedral dedicated to the legend and genius of Steve Jobs. 
    That's OK but if that's what you're after from the get go you spell it all out in the contract before you sign. This article suggests some issues have dragged on for many months which would be unthinkable if there are contractual obligations to be complied with.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    zoetmb said:
    Total hit piece with the intent of making Apple employees look like they don't understand the construction business and were making ridiculous demands of the contractors. Nothing I hate more than people under an NDA blabbing to the media.
    They probably don't understand the construction business.   Insisting on tight tolerances is not an issue.   Insisting on no door thresholds is not an issue (I sometimes work in a WeWork space and there's no door thresholds).   Insisting on beauty in things no one is ever to see or touch is quite another and IMO, a complete waste of money in spite of what Jobs father taught him. 
    First, how do you or the contractor know that no one will ever see it?  There could be a remodel the exposes the panels.  They could repurpose the panels later.  If they want the panels polished on both sides it's their money.

And every good craftsman pays attention to detail even when nobody can see them.
    Those contractors who walked away probably did so because they thought Apple was going to drive them so crazy that they would lose money on a project that they originally thought would make them a fortune.  I consult for a company that walked away from a large software development project some years ago because the client insisted upon things way beyond the scope of the contract and not only was unwilling to pay for those things, but was holding payment hostage until we agreed to do so.  Walking away was the right thing to do as that client would have put the company out of business by their demands.   
    Given they are complaining about doing zero threshold doors I'm thinking they are better gone.  The type of whining indicated that while Apple was asking for higher quality work it doesn't strike me as anything excessive.  It also didn't seem like they weren't going to pay for the extra quality.  

I doubt the current contractors are at all worried about losing money.  It's not like they are working for Trump.
    And for those who 'want to see the place', I think you're dreaming.   Apple is so paranoid about secrecy that unless one has official business, I doubt anyone is getting onto that campus.   Just looking at the drone videos, I still wonder whether there are going to be giant traffic jams getting in and out.   If there are, Apple is going to wind up looking foolish.    
    Haters are going to hate.  

Traffic analysis was done and VTA and CalTrans is adding lanes and making changes to I-280.  It'll still be bad but it's already bad.  There are only 10K parking spaces at the facility and Apple is pushing for 34% utilization of mass or alternative transit for the staff.

Other than the lobby, guest areas and the cafe there's probably not much anyone not working for Apple would get to see anyway.