References to possible 2017 MacBook Pro with Intel Kaby Lake CPUs found in macOS Sierra be...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    anome said:
    polymnia said:
    anome said:
    Soli said:
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    The sooner the better, for me, as I'm skipping this first release of this brilliant new design with all its included benefits.
    MBPs last so long it is difficult to convince myself to upgrade. I'm using the original 15" retina from 2012 and it is just like brand new. It will probably be years before I need to upgrade. The only reason I upgraded then was because my previous MBP was stuck on Lion, otherwise I'd probably still be using that one. My MBP is not my primary computer. I just use it when I travel.
    Which is why Apple products have a great resale value. I can sell my old MBP for a great price and get something that has additional features I want and/or better performance, each of which can translate into better efficiency and therefore more money and/or more time for other tasks. At this point, I'm only holding off because it's been so long since the launch now and historically a price drop will occur after having including such a major and costly investment into the new HW used in the Late-2016 MBP.

Actually, that's a problem for me. I tend to keep my Apple hardware so long that it no longer has any resale value. By the time it actually becomes useless, whether due to failing components, or just not being able to run a current version of the OS or any useful software, you'll be lucky if the recyclers/resellers don't charge you to take it away.

Still, it does mean I get value for money out of the thing. My MacBook was 8 years old when I bought the new MBP, and had only really become unusable in the previous year or so - as I said mostly due to OS and software compatibility issues.

I find it hard to believe your Apple equipment is unsellable. I just sold a 2009 27" iMac for $550 USD a week or so ago. 

Maybe you don't take great care of your gear?

Regardless, which 2016 laptop will have more resale value in 8 years?
    1. MacBook Pro with 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports
    2. some other laptop with a couple USB-A, a single DisplayPort, HDMI & Ethernet and a proprietary power plug.
    The only thing that we know will for certain is USB-C will be at the height of it's power in 8 years. Given all the alternate modes that make it a video or power cable, I imagine it will eat into just about every other type of dedicated-use connector. Except maybe Ethernet. With wireless making huge leaps in performance and reliability, ethernet will be less & less relavent outside special applications.

My money is on the MacBook holding its value best 8 years down the road.

Anyone sold a 2009-era PC for $550 USD lately?

I just looked on Gazelle (I know there are other places that might offer better rates) and my MacBook, assuming perfect condition, is worth $20. That's an early 2008 MacBook, with a 2.4 GHz processor. (I don't have the exact specs of mine to hand, so I just went with best case scenario.) Mine would probably qualify as Good Condition (rather than perfect) which is worth $15.

I agree, for a similar vintage PC, I'd be unlikely to get even that, but it's really not worth the effort.

By comparison, I put in an iMac 2009 3.33 GHz Core2Duo, with 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, and SuperDrive, and it came back with $336. So a bit of a difference there.

I guess I drive a hard bargain on CL. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 52
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    The sooner the better, for me, as I'm skipping this first release of this brilliant new design with all its included benefits.
    MBPs last so long it is difficult to convince myself to upgrade. I'm using the original 15" retina from 2012 and it is just like brand new. It will probably be years before I need to upgrade. The only reason I upgraded then was because my previous MBP was stuck on Lion, otherwise I'd probably still be using that one. My MBP is not my primary computer. I just use it when I travel.
    Yep.  Up until recently I was still using a late-2008 15" MBP and it was working fine.  The only thing it couldn't do well was frame accurate video editing.   But I was away for a few days and shut it down before I left, which I rarely did.  When I came back, it wouldn't power up and several places I took it to said they couldn't fix it because they couldn't get parts.   So I bought the new MBP.  Nice machine and certainly better performance, but is it a performance improvement on the scale of what one would expect after eight years?  No, and especially not at the price they're charging.    That 2008 machine was also still the generation where end-users could replace the battery, memory and storage and I really liked having that ability.  I think Apple has taken many steps backwards since then.  

If the other machine didn't die, I would have waited for the next generation.   And I have to admit, paying this much money left a bad taste in my mouth and I feel like Apple cheaped-out by not throwing a few USB to USB-C converters in the box and by not including the extension cable that used to come with the power adapter.    I was able to offset the cost a little by selling the non-working unit for parts and also separately selling a power adapter.  I still have another power adapter, used battery, memory and external Firewire drive to sell.   Maybe all that together will pay for the sales tax.  

I haven't upgraded yet to 10.12.3, but I find that several Microsoft and Adobe apps crash almost every time I take the machine out of sleep.  But they do relaunch in about one second, so it's only mildly annoying.  I also find that Touch ID only works about 50% of the time. 
  • Reply 43 of 52
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    How come? I thought you ordered one?
    I did, and then ended up making a change to my order which pushed it back much further than I wanted to wait. It got to a point where I'lll just wait for the Kaby lake release with a likely lower price point, and other advanced features.

* Note: I don't fault Apple for putting me at the back of the queue when I changed my order. That's on me.>
    I'll be interested in what changes besides CPU may come to the next version. I'm hoping it's not much because if it's significant I'll want to get the new one, and selling this one is gonna be a hassle because I bought all the BTO upgrades and not many buyers are gonna wanna pay what a machine like this costs!
    I wouldn't think it would be anything beyond a CPU upgrade and possibly a GPU upgrade (if one is available). Whether or not it will be worth upgrading from a 2016 model we'd have to see. I doubt Apple will make any major changes to the design. There's really no reason to. 
    It is rarely a big upgrade year to year.  Other than CPU and GPU the other thing is Optane.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    How come? I thought you ordered one?
    I did, and then ended up making a change to my order which pushed it back much further than I wanted to wait. It got to a point where I'lll just wait for the Kaby lake release with a likely lower price point, and other advanced features.

* Note: I don't fault Apple for putting me at the back of the queue when I changed my order. That's on me.>
    I'll be interested in what changes besides CPU may come to the next version. I'm hoping it's not much because if it's significant I'll want to get the new one, and selling this one is gonna be a hassle because I bought all the BTO upgrades and not many buyers are gonna wanna pay what a machine like this costs!
    I wouldn't think it would be anything beyond a CPU upgrade and possibly a GPU upgrade (if one is available). Whether or not it will be worth upgrading from a 2016 model we'd have to see. I doubt Apple will make any major changes to the design. There's really no reason to. 

Maybe they'll make a 17-inch version!

And maybe I'll start pooping solid gold ingots!

My money is on the latter happening before the former, though.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    zoetmb said:
    ...and by not including the extension cable that used to come with the power adapter.   
    Wow! That is unfortunate. I usually need that extension cable when I travel because hotel rooms don't always have conveniently placed outlets. I usually set up on the dining table for more room. Definitely need the longer cable. Same thing in our conference room at the office because the power brick doesn't fit into the recess where the outlets are.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 46 of 52
    volcan said:
    zoetmb said:
    ...and by not including the extension cable that used to come with the power adapter.   
    Wow! That is unfortunate. I usually need that extension cable when I travel because hotel rooms don't always have conveniently placed outlets. I usually set up on the dining table for more room. Definitely need the longer cable. Same thing in our conference room at the office because the power brick doesn't fit into the recess where the outlets are.
    You can just buy one for $5 on eBay. I personally don't see a problem with not including extra hardware that most people never even touch, just like all those display adapters that used to ship with every Mac — it's wasteful.
    Solichia
  • Reply 47 of 52
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Soli said:
    blastdoor said:
    I sure hope 2017 is the year Apple returns to regularly updating the entire mac lineup. 
    You may get a year where you'll see everything updated in that year, but so long as they are dependent on Intel you're not going to get anything "regular."
    How do you figure? Apple sometimes skips updates from intel, in spite of other changes, such as updates from NVidia or AMD and whoever supplies their SSDs. 
  • Reply 48 of 52
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Kaby Lake and Optane will help, but the battery issue is the lead problem for the new pros.

I'm surprised there's been no rumours on whether the originally-planned 'stacked' battery design [as in the MacBook] will appear in the next update.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    frank777 said:
    Kaby Lake and Optane will help, but the battery issue is the lead problem for the new pros.

I'm surprised there's been no rumours on whether the originally-planned 'stacked' battery design [as in the MacBook] will appear in the next update.
    The stacked design only benefits a tapered chassis.

The box design doesn't need stacking. If they went with a stacked battery, it would be to maintain the same battery life in a thinner chassis rather than more battery life in the box chassis.
    lorin schultzfastasleep
  • Reply 50 of 52
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Marvin said:
    frank777 said:

The box design doesn't need stacking. If they went with a stacked battery, it would be to maintain the same battery life in a thinner chassis rather than more battery life in the box chassis.

Good point. Although when you look at the teardown of the new Pros, it looks to my eyes that there's more empty space in the battery wells than Apple typically leaves open.

I wonder why?
  • Reply 51 of 52
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    frank777 said:
    Marvin said:
    frank777 said:

Good point. Although when you look at the teardown of the new Pros, it looks to my eyes that there's more empty space in the battery wells than Apple typically leaves open.

I wonder why?
    I can think of two possible reasons:

1. Acoustic resonance space - they really do sound surprisingly good. 

2. Target weight - I got a 15" quad-core that weighs *exactly* the same as my previous 2011 13" MacBook Pro. Which is pretty much exactly what I wanted. 
  • Reply 52 of 52
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Marvin said:
    frank777 said:

[image]

None have perfectly square edges, so I'd think that some stacking could result in more battery capacity without negatively affecting casing rigidity. As Frank point out, there is space remaining, and the 12" MacBook is where this was introduced despite being considerably more squared than previous Mac notebooks. That said I do think Spheric's hypothesis regarding acoustic resonance is sound*.

* Pun intended
    sphericfastasleep