Apple hires former head of Amazon's Fire TV unit to lead Apple TV operations

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    macxpress said:
    It still boggles my mind why they don't have an AppleTV that supports 4K! 4K TV's were one of the most popular gifts this past holiday season and yet they have an AppleTV that only supports 1080p. Maybe there's little to no content for 4K yet, but if it doesn't at least support it, I see people turning away from this or buying it only to realize its not 4K and returning it for something else that does. 

I would think something like the A10X would support 4K resolutions at 60fps. 

This product has the potential to do so much more and yet it just seems to sit there stagnate. This really could be one of the bigger things Apple does if they put some time and effort into it. It shouldn't be a "hobby" anymore for them. 
    Problem is it shipped with an outdated A8 chip.
    The A8 is not why it didn't come with 4K. There was no "we have 4K all ready to go but since you're going to use the A8 we'll remove that support." It didn't come with 4K because because iTunes Store doesn't offer it. I'd argue the lack of 4K content in the iTunes comes from the studios, not Apple. There's also an issue with HEVC, which has its own licensing issues.
    I know this but my biggest gripe is that it came with an outdated chip at all when the A9 or even A9x was ready.
    I do believe Apple could allow 4k but they're waiting to see if it's a standard or possibly developing their own standard.

macxpress said:
    cali said:
    macxpress said:
    It still boggles my mind why they don't have an AppleTV that supports 4K! 4K TV's were one of the most popular gifts this past holiday season and yet they have an AppleTV that only supports 1080p. Maybe there's little to no content for 4K yet, but if it doesn't at least support it, I see people turning away from this or buying it only to realize its not 4K and returning it for something else that does. 

I would think something like the A10X would support 4K resolutions at 60fps. 

This product has the potential to do so much more and yet it just seems to sit there stagnate. This really could be one of the bigger things Apple does if they put some time and effort into it. It shouldn't be a "hobby" anymore for them. 

Problem is it shipped with an outdated A8 chip.
    And I don't understand why they'd do that. If I remember correctly, the lack of 4K support was a major complaint. I do own a 4th gen AppleTV and it is sometimes useful, but in the end, there's really nothing compelling to make me want to use it all the time. I still can't watch Food Network or HGTV without a cable subscription and verify my account, there's no 4K support so I can't stream a 4K movie to my 4K TV, etc, etc. When I do try and watch TV on it, the sound quality is not very good vs watching the same live TV show on cable. Its almost like the stream is compressed or something because it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as watching it on cable. That being said, the Super Bowl did sound better, but is the only thing that has ever sounded good. I'm not sure if they did something different for that or its the TV apps causing the poor audio quality or what. 

And, I'm still not really a fan of the interface. This thing has been through what 3 or 4 UI changes and I still don't think Apple got it right. Really, the best thing I've used it for is streaming my music to my surround sound system when I want to listen to music. Its a real shame because I think it has so much potential but right now its kinda just a dust collector. 

I do like the interface and apps but why they included an A8 was bizzare considering they added 4k to iPhones and it makes the feature useless with Apple TV.

Gaming is a big deal and they're generating more money than streaming services. I don't understand why Apple isn't taking that seriously. An A-series gaming chip would be awesome especially considering Apple TV doesn't have to be super thin and isn't something you carry in your pocket. So a few extra centimeters of bulk for power is good.

When Apple TV released, my theory is they didn't go all out because their streaming service wasn't ready. This version is just an appetizer to hold us up until the real deal comes. Otherwise Apple TV sales would have dropped by now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 said:
    asdasd said:
    I am looking to refurbish my flat so I need a large TV, or projecter. Well want, if not need. Either way the Apple TV wont cut it. Firstly I cant really have any more wires going from the ground to the TV, the Apple TV is just too big to fit behind a TV, and I dont want it on the mantlepiece.

Compare to the Fire TV stick. Or that there are TVs running android that work with AirPlay, or that I can get a projector running Android. 

I mean come on, get an Apple Projector already. One that will pick up live TV and automatically run some version of TVOS, which should be licensable anyway. 

The fire stick is incredibly slow compared to the ATV4

If you don't want wires why don't you just run the wires behind the wall?
    its not just my wall. I share it. But in any case where do you think the aTV should go? next door?

I could do a lot of stuff, a fake wall. Or buy an android TV that works with airplay. Id prefer that the aTV worked though. Or I could get a proper TV with the TVOS... or something else. 
    edited February 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 25
    It will remain a niche product since Apple doesn't think it needs to play nice with other devices.  The Google Chromecast is the better value and plays nice with Android, Windows, and iOS.  
    asdasdwilliamlondondasanman69
  • Reply 24 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    asdasd said:
    sog35 said:
    asdasd said:
    I am looking to refurbish my flat so I need a large TV, or projecter. Well want, if not need. Either way the Apple TV wont cut it. Firstly I cant really have any more wires going from the ground to the TV, the Apple TV is just too big to fit behind a TV, and I dont want it on the mantlepiece.

Compare to the Fire TV stick. Or that there are TVs running android that work with AirPlay, or that I can get a projector running Android. 

I mean come on, get an Apple Projector already. One that will pick up live TV and automatically run some version of TVOS, which should be licensable anyway. 

The fire stick is incredibly slow compared to the ATV4

If you don't want wires why don't you just run the wires behind the wall?
    its not just my wall. I share it. But in any case where do you think the aTV should go? next door?

I could do a lot of stuff, a fake wall. Or buy an android TV that works with airplay. Id prefer that the aTV worked though. Or I could get a proper TV with the TVOS... or something else. 
    Apple doesn't sell or share your data which is nice.

It will remain a niche product since Apple doesn't think it needs to play nice with other devices.  The Google Chromecast is the better value and plays nice with Android, Windows, and iOS.  
    Except it doesn't play nice with your personal info. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonpatchythepirate