Apple's 10th anniversary 'iPhone X' could cost more than $1,000 - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Apple has a patent for lenses between pixels. Not to say we’ve ever seen anything to suggest that sort of thing is even possible, but there’s a patent for it.
    Wow!
  • Reply 42 of 56
  • Reply 43 of 56
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    sog35 said:
    Inflation.

$650 in 2007.

In 2017 dollars that is $980
    Not quite - according to the bureau of labor statistics $650 in 2007 translates to $752 in 2016. Of course inflation doesn't quite follow normal rules in electronics, so it's hard to draw many conclusions. 

Either way, I tend not to believe rumors on costs and Apple will set the price where they want and people can buy it if they want. 
    mrboba1
  • Reply 44 of 56
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    If only iPhones followed the historical pricing of flat screen TVs...  

tallest skilsingularity
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    hentaiboy said:

They would … if more than one company made an iPhone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 56
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    I already bought a $969 Iphone 7 Plus 256GB.  

I love it. 

I paid more for the bigger screen.  Check.  

Paid more than more for 256GB. Check.  

Would i I do it again for an iPhone 8 plus?  Sure.

Would I bitch about it?  No.  

Like an expensive mac, it comes back in higher resale prices.  

Would  I ever switch to android to save A few bucks? Hell no!  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 56
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    A rumor site passing along rumors doesn't bother me. What does bother me is seen people pass along rumors they got from a rumor site as fact, and discussing the ramifications of the rumors as those were facts as well.

A rumor site says that Apple will have an iPhone that will cost >$1K. Big deal. Henry Pennies run around squawking 'Oh no, iPhones will cost $1000+!!" as though that must be the starting price and there will be no cheaper options. Maroons.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 56
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    sog35 said:
    Inflation.

$650 in 2007.

In 2017 dollars that is $980
    Yeah, not so much. $650 in 1997 is 980 today.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    SujeitoSujeito Posts: 16unconfirmed, member
    hentaiboy said:

iPhones didn't. But smartphones, in general, did.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 56
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    eriamjh said:

I love it. 

There are Android phones that cost well over a thousand dollars so if you don't have to save anything if you prefer not to.

Yesterday I put the iPhone 7 Plus side by side with a P9 Plus and a Mate 9. Both a few hundred dollars cheaper than the iPhone but with excellent design and build quality. If you have the opportunity to do the same I would highly recommend it. Forget the platforms for a second and evaluate the rest. Apple will have to work hard on the 8.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    This is my imagination about the new iphone. Thanks for watching the picture!
    (Dimension unit is mm)
  • Reply 52 of 56
    avon b7 said:
    eriamjh said:

I love it. 

There are Android phones that cost well over a thousand dollars so if you don't have to save anything if you prefer not to.

Yesterday I put the iPhone 7 Plus side by side with a P9 Plus and a Mate 9. Both a few hundred dollars cheaper than the iPhone but with excellent design and build quality. If you have the opportunity to do the same I would highly recommend it. Forget the platforms for a second and evaluate the rest. Apple will have to work hard on the 8.
    I'd rather poke out both eyes.

No matter how much you spruik your iKnockoffs (they maybe be quite well built, and even maybe reliable), but still a knock off and running the spyware horror that is Android.

I feel dirty every time I have to help my fiancee with her Galaxy S7. The thing nearly burns her face during a phone call and it overheats all the time.We won't charge it unless we have it under close watch. Thankfully her contract ends in April, and she is keen for her new iPhone7.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    avon b7 said:
    eriamjh said:

I love it. 

Saying "Forget the platform and evaluate the rest" is just unrealistic. 

If I go went into a shop to buy a TV, I would walk out if the salesman said, "Forget about the picture and evaluate the rest."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    eriamjh said:

I love it. 

Saying "Forget the platform and evaluate the rest" is just unrealistic. 

If I go went into a shop to buy a TV, I would walk out if the salesman said, "Forget about the picture and evaluate the rest."
    'Forget the platform' to evaluate the design and build quality. The OS is key but there are a lot of people who are slagging the design and build quality of Android phones when some of them but Apple for six. To be able to set itself apart again Apple will need something special for 8.

As for the systems themselves, they are pretty even in my book and both still need a lot of work.

edited February 2017
  • Reply 55 of 56
    avon b7 said:
    eriamjh said:

I love it. 

I'd rather poke out both eyes.

No matter how much you spruik your iKnockoffs (they maybe be quite well built, and even maybe reliable), but still a knock off and running the spyware horror that is Android.

I feel dirty every time I have to help my fiancee with her Galaxy S7. The thing nearly burns her face during a phone call and it overheats all the time.We won't charge it unless we have it under close watch. Thankfully her contract ends in April, and she is keen for her new iPhone7.
    The mentality that says Android phones are knock-offs was possibly applicable around the time of the iPhone 4 but now it's very different.

I hope Apple takes a heap of inspiration from the best Android phones out there right now and implements some of the best ideas, even if it means Apple is knocking off some Android brands. Better fingerprint scanner implementation, faster charging, ergonomics etc.

Some top end Android phones with Snapdragon processors did get hot because the processors ran hot but I think it was one particular processor generation. Huawei for example for didn't have any such issues because it designs its own processors (running ARM cores) and is right up there with Apple on power.