Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 8' will use separate wireless charging accessory, ditch Lightning-t...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Sujeito said:

Do you expect them to reinvent wireless charging? I mean, it's kinda like expecting them to reinvent waterproofing as well. It is what it is. 
    Eventually I think they will reinvent it (as in have it on their phone before other companies).
    However, I'd rather have no wireless charging until this remote wireless charging is ready.
    We don't need to have to balance our devices on mats to charge or listen to Phandroids saying "welcome to 7 years ago).
    tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Since 1983? Do you not remember 1988 until about 1996? Those Mac Performas weren't really flying off the shelf. Nor were the Newtons, Pippins, 20th Anniversary Macs, MacTV, Mac Portable, etc. . .
    What a great article. There's a smorgasbord of bad news, something for everyone to get out their pitchforks and torches and threaten to quit Apple after claiming to own every Apple product since 1983.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    evilution said:
    Sujeito said:

Do you expect them to reinvent wireless charging? I mean, it's kinda like expecting them to reinvent waterproofing as well. It is what it is. 
    Eventually I think they will reinvent it (as in have it on their phone before other companies).
    However, I'd rather have no wireless charging until this remote wireless charging is ready.
    We don't need to have to balance our devices on mats to charge or listen to Phandroids saying "welcome to 7 years ago).
    What 'phandroids' might say shouldn't be an issue. If your user base would like the option, then you should try and implement it. In this case, it could be worth waiting for a better implementation if one really is coming soon.

It's an attitude that reminds me of the 'not invented here' situation of years ago.

My Android doesn't have Qi built-in but if it did, it would be nice. I charge my phone every night and it is my alarm clock. It's a non issue to plug it in and charge but having a wireless option would be nice all the same.

Either way, preferring not to have a function because others might laugh at you for taking so long to implement it, doesn't do anyone any favours.

I would love to be able to send a file directly to an iPhone directly using Bluetooth without third party apps or using NFC but the last time I tried, it was impossible.

I put 'Android style' wireless charging in that bag of features that many people would like.

edited February 2017
  • Reply 24 of 40
    ireland said:

simply258 said:
    My guess is come September, we will see iPhone 7S and iPhone X. 2018 will see iPhone 8 based on tech of the iPhone X.
    So what's an iPhone x and what's an iPhone 8?
    Unicorns. A blank canvas on which gadget geeks can project their wildest, unfulfilled tech fantasies.
    doozydozenanomewatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Since 1983? Do you not remember 1988 until about 1996? Those Mac Performas weren't really flying off the shelf. Nor were the Newtons, Pippins, 20th Anniversary Macs, MacTV, Mac Portable, etc. . .
    What a great article. There's a smorgasbord of bad news, something for everyone to get out their pitchforks and torches and threaten to quit Apple after claiming to own every Apple product since 1983.
    Yes, I expect anyone who claims to have owned every Apple product to include each of those. Let there be no mistake: when someone threatens to "give up on Apple," I want it to have gravitas, as if Tim Cook will personally beg them to come back.
    StrangeDaysRayz2016doozydozen
  • Reply 26 of 40
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    entropys said:
    I am supportive of not including a headphone adapter in the next iPhone box.  Everyone should have moved on by then, or already have a dongle. Including the dongle for the first year without a headphone port was the right thing to do. I haven't missed the headphone port for example, I just have my headphones with the dongle permanently on the end.

I am surprised at the rumour there will not be a USBC cable. It would definitely still need the old USB. But Apple really should supply both if it really wants to push USBC. Even if the buyer doesn't currently have USBC, it would be worth the marketing value alone as the message would be there for the future.

I support the new MBP only having USBC, but Apple should have included a nice little white case with a few useful dongles inside, with 'transition pack' in a large, friendly looking font on the outside. Again the marketing value would have been worth the cost."here at Apple we want to set you up for a better future, and here are some dongles to help you as you gradually transition" in small print underneath. It would have demonstrated that Apple was forward looking, eager to help people with their transition.  Apple prides itself on the liberal arts/engineering interface does it not? Or is that too transgressive for Tim Cook?

As for the wireless charging rumour, if it isn't remote/at a distance/magical and instead requires a stand or a pad, it would be just plain embarrassing.  Apple would deserve every lump of the ridicule it would get.
    No, everyone doesn't already have a dongle because everyone doesn't already have the last iPhone.  Not everyone falls into the trap of upgrading the phone every year.  Personally, I'm using an iPhone6 and I really like my Grado ear buds which are not wireless.   If Apple was a low-cost provider, I could understand dropping the adapter.  But as a high-cost provider, all they do when they leave this stuff out is leave people with the same kind of bad taste in their mouths as when you have to pay $8 for a hot dog or $10 for a beer at a stadium or arena or when a car dealer wants to charge you $300 for mats.  These dongles are manufactured in China for next to nothing and there's no reason to leave them out other than an attempt to force people to buy new wireless buds from Apple.    

You are correct that Apple should have supplied dongles with the MBP (which I purchased) or a gift card that would give purchasers a credit towards the particular dongles that they needed.   They also should not have dropped the AC extension cord on the power adapter.   All this reeks of "ripoff".   And when I bought my USB-C MBP, the Apple-branded adapters were out of stock (they were overpriced anyway).   I wound up buying Pearstone dongles and then supplemented those with Wavlink metal adapters.  They were inexpensive, but that makes it even more of a reason why Apple either should have included a few in the box or provided a coupon to do so.   I'm even more pissed at Apple's complete ripoff on SSD's and the inability to use third party internal storage.   IMO, Apple has become almost as much a pig as the pharmaceutical companies.   But I guess something has to pay for Apple's Xanadu headquarters.  

As far as pricing is concerned, I think Apple has lost perspective, perhaps because they have so many execs there who make really big money.   I think they also forget that the iPhone was essentially a market (but not product) failure until they did the AT&T deal that provided consumers with a subsidized phone that required only a $200 outlay beyond the plan.   Although these are different times, a $1000 iPhone, if there is one, will be as big a failure as that 20th Anniversary Mac that Apple originally tried to pawn off for $9000 in 1997 ($13,458 in 2016 dollars).  They eventually had to lower the price to $2000 (about $3K in 2016 dollars) before discontinuing the machine around May of 1998. 

Wireless charging is not going to work at a distance and with all the disputed science around whether high frequency electro-magnetic radiation is a danger to health or not, I'd rather it doesn't anyway, at least not until the science is clearer.   And if one has to have a charging pad, you're just moving the place the power cable goes from the phone to the pad.   That is more convenient, but only slightly, although it does have the advantage of not wearing out the jack on the phone (which Ive probably really wants to remove anyway).     
    avon b7argonaut
  • Reply 27 of 40
    @Gatorguy did you say that about 64-bit ARM? Did you say that about two tone flash? Did you say it about Gorilla Glass screens? Phones running Unix (variants)? Phones with orientation sensors? Phones with happiness feedback buttons? Apple ships a lot of new things, and even when they ship old things it's generally been vastly improved.
    edited February 2017 bb-15Rayz2016watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 28 of 40
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Yes, I expect anyone who claims to have owned every Apple product to include each of those. Let there be no mistake: when someone threatens to "give up on Apple," I want it to have gravitas, as if Tim Cook will personally beg them to come back.
    I did have a few of those. The Mac portable was a groundbreaking device. It was also backbreaking. I lugged that more than 7kg beast up and down the Sydney CBD.  I reckon it damaged my shoulder. I also had a newton and was annoyed Steve killed it. I had a macTV, which really wasn't any good, and the one with the dual processors which was an expensive version of boot camp, but actively avoided any performa. They really were crap. tonnes of different models, none of them all that good, and its biggest problem was a stagnating OS.  Amelio  took an MBA approach to repair, but the truth is it wasn't going to work, unless by 'work' it was a sale to Sun or IBM. Apple needed a Tyrant with a vision, or die.

People that lived and and worked through that time do remember what it was like, the products Apple produced, the many ways it lost its way.  They are Apple loyalists who stuck with the company in hard times they do not want to return.  
    Apple is not in that desperate situation, it is a high margin cash cow, and Microsoft lost its way a long time ago. None of this changes a fear I have that Apple is on track to repeat the same mistakes made at that time because the supply chain MBAs are again running the show in cash cow mode. In hindsight I think getting rid of Forstall, skuemorphism aside, was a big mistake.  And Microsoft's recent moves creates the impression it just might get to repeat history.
    edited February 2017 elijahg
  • Reply 29 of 40
    entropys said:
    Apple is not in that desperate situation, it is a high margin cash cow, and Microsoft lost its way a long time ago. None of this changes a fear I have that Apple is on track to repeat the same mistakes made at that time because the supply chain MBAs are again running the show in cash cow mode. In hindsight I think getting rid of Forstall, skuemorphism aside, was a big mistake.  And Microsoft's recent moves creates the impression it just might get to repeat history.
    You do realize Cook, hand-picked by Jobs, was one of the key guys running Apple under Jobs Apple 2.0 period, right? In many ways he performed CEO duties before becoming CEO so Jobs could do product development. 

Also, Apple products have never been cheap, they've always been at the higher end. Tho that being said they've also gotten less expensive at their lower end. 
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 40
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    netmage said:
    @Gatorguy did you say that about 64-bit ARM? Did you say that about two tone flash? Did you say it about Gorilla Glass screens? Phones running Unix (variants)? Phones with orientation sensors? Phones with happiness feedback buttons? Apple ships a lot of new things, and even when they ship old things it's generally been vastly improved.
    "Happiness feedback buttons"? Surely that will be the killer feature of iPhone 8 ;-)

I know it was just a corrector override but it made me smile.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    misa said:
    jungmark said:
    entropys said:
    I am supportive of not including a headphone adapter in the next iPhone box.  Everyone should have moved on by then, or already have a dongle. Including the dongle for the first year without a headphone port was the right thing to do. I haven't missed the headphone port for example, I just have my headphones with the dongle permanently on the end.

I am surprised at the rumour there will not be a USBC cable. It would definitely still need the old USB. But Apple really should supply both if it really wants to push USBC. Even if the buyer doesn't currently have USBC, it would be worth the marketing value alone as the message would be there for the future.

I support the new MBP only having USBC, but Apple should have included a nice little white case with a few useful dongles inside, with 'transition pack' in a large, friendly looking font on the outside. Again the marketing value would have been worth the cost."here at Apple we want to set you up for a better future, and here are some dongles to help you as you gradually transition" in small print underneath. It would have demonstrated that Apple was forward looking, eager to help people with their transition.  Apple prides itself on the liberal arts/engineering interface does it not? Or is that too transgressive for Tim Cook?

As for the wireless charging rumour, if it isn't remote/at a distance/magical and instead requires a stand or a pad, it would be just plain embarrassing.  Apple would deserve every lump of the ridicule it would get.
    I don't agree with a USB-C cable with the iPhone yet. How many computers have USBC? Not that many yet Apple is expected to supply a cable for 200+ MM iPhones a year?

I do agree with putting a USB to USBC connector with the new MacBooks and Macs but if you're spending $1500+ already, what's another $30.  
    I think eventually Apple will just not include a cable, period. It will come fully charged, you setup the mobile part in store, or WiFi at home and use the cables you already have. People likely have a tonne of cables they no longer need, and I'd strongly advocate for not including cables with all consumer devices if they can be charged over USB.

That said, OLED will certainly be a mistake if it's true. Larger phones do not make sense. 3.5" or 4.0" phones with HD screens are the best compromise between size and battery life. Everything larger is is too large (and too expensive) for most people, but they make sense for people with larger hands, or are visually impaired.

Oops... you must have missed the conference call that stated "For the first time the larger iPhone out sold the smaller one". Why would you want to screw with public demand?  That larger ones cost more = more profit 

just sayin'
    bb-15gatorguydoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    netmage said:
    Don't recall I've ever made any comment on a new Apple feature and pointing out whether it's "new" or not really "new". The comment was meant for rabid members here who have repeatedly said it. Yes Apple does come up with totally new features and devices. They also frequently learn from the innovation of others and do it one better. 
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 33 of 40
    1983 said:
    evilution said:
    Please no "Android style" wireless charging. It's about 7 years too late and still makes no sense.
    Exactly!
    I dunno, I just bought a new car with CarPlay and integrated wireless charging, and many other (car) brands are making wireless charging a purchasable feature. If at this point, Apple were to choose something different than what has become an (automotive) industry standard, it might turn a lot of people away from them.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy said:
    netmage said:
    Don't recall I've ever made any comment on a new Apple feature and pointing out whether it's "new" or not really "new". The comment was meant for rabid members here who have repeatedly said it. Yes Apple does come up with totally new features and devices. They also frequently learn from the innovation of others and do it one better. 
    "I don't recall "is being overused these days ;)  

I suspect a lot of the times it seems that Apple "... frequently learn from the innovation of others and do it one better. "  the truth is they were already well into the development but waiting till they got it right.  Also many times others rush out products as soon as they believe Apple is working on something and people rewrite history saying Apple came out with a product 'after learning from others', even if politely as you often do.  Just look at the rush of wearables when Watch was believed to be real.  Or there are occasions when the rush to copy Apple is after the fact, as with the Android operating system after iOS was seen on March 6, 2008, it took Google a few months (impressive really) to completely copy it by September 2008, then cleverly 'give  for free' to Samsung to bear the legal brunt no doubt assuming the money would roll in via advertising.  Profits seem to allude all the copiers happily.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 35 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    netmage said:
    "I don't recall "is being overused these days ;)  

I suspect a lot of the times it seems that Apple "... frequently learn from the innovation of others and do it one better. "  the truth is they were already well into the development but waiting till they got it right.  Also many times others rush out products as soon as they believe Apple is working on something and people rewrite history saying Apple came out with a product 'after learning from others', even if politely as you often do.  Just look at the rush of wearables when Watch was believed to be real.  Or there are occasions when the rush to copy Apple is after the fact, as with the Android operating system after iOS was seen on March 6, 2008, it took Google a few months (impressive really) to completely copy it by September 2008, then cleverly 'give  for free' to Samsung to bear the legal brunt no doubt assuming the money would roll in via advertising.  Profits seem to allude all the copiers happily.
    Good comments. Creative thinking is underappreciated....
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Usually by now there has been at least a picture leak of some kind. Either way I'll be purchasing the top of the range model especially since my 6+ is dying. 
  • Reply 37 of 40
    misa said:

Larger phones do not make sense. 3.5" or 4.0" phones with HD screens are the best compromise between size and battery life. Everything larger is is too large (and too expensive) for most people, but they make sense for people with larger hands, or are visually impaired.

Based on what I see people using on the train to and from work, it seems most people disagree with your assessment. Those of us using the biggest phones are still a minority, but there are even fewer using anything smaller than ~5" (for the sake of simplicity I'm including the 4.7" iPhone when I say "about 5 inches").

Interestingly I've also noticed a tidal shift in the Apple-to-Samsung ratio. When I first started using public transit four years ago it was a sea of iPhones with only a few devices from other manufacturers. Now it's almost exclusively Samsung and Apple -- very rare to see any other brand -- with Samsung units outnumbering iPhones by about 5-2.
  • Reply 38 of 40

entropys said:
    I am supportive of not including a headphone adapter in the next iPhone box.
    Why? I don't necessarily care that much one way or the other, but I'm interested in why you have an opinion on the subject, and why it's in favour of dropping the free adapter? What's the downside to including it?

entropys said:
    I was and still am very, very much in favour of all the ports on the new MacBook Pro being USB-C connectors. It was on my "most wanted features" list before the release and I was thrilled that it happened. That said, having had the machine for a few months I'm now starting to suffer just a little bit of adapter purchase fatigue. When I first got the new computer I replaced all the cables on my peripherals with USB-C versions, but there have still been a couple times since that I've had to run to the Apple store for an adapter when I had to connect something I don't use every day. The last one was the one that started to leave a bad taste... a Firewire adapter costs $35?! Ouch. That hurts for something I may never use again.

Anyway, to your thoughts about cables included with Apple peripherals: I agree with your point about included cables being used to get people thinking about USB-C. My vision of the perfect solution is a Lightning-to-USB-C cable with a USB-C female to USB-A male adapter (the opposite of the one Apple sells now). That fulfills the "optics" objective of portraying USB-C as the "primary" connector and makes USB-A the one that requires an adaptor, which helps fuel the psychological drive to move on.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    MacPro said:
    ireland said:
    Anyone expecting long range wireless charging in 2017 in a popular consumer smartphone is smoking lots of the good stuff. A firm believer that Energous is leaking misleading claims to be supplying the next iPhone for a stock fiddle (as other companies did in the past—fuel cell in your iPhone anyone?). The technology for such tech in a smartphone in an affordable, seamless, reliable, miniaturised fashion is nowhere near ready for prime time at this point. 2020 at a minimum. But likely 2023+ before we see genuine long-range wireless charging with WiFi—range.

And we can hope—not proprietary. I'd love to see Apple, Google, Intel and others form a consortium to build an open safe standard for wireless power. Even if it means it slows down the the introduction by a few years. This needs to be done right and it needs to be open. This is where the existence of a stock market fucks mankind. For the short term profit of a handful of shareholders the world suffers utter complexity and needless confusion.

On another front I expect our famed "well connected analyst" to be called out when he's once again wrong about iPhone 7s, 7s plus and 8 getting wireless charging. We may not even see a 7s. And why would a 7s get a glass back anyway?
    I don't disagree although I'd hope the time line to long range wireless is a lot shorter.  Remember super computers are now making tremendous leaps forward in processing speeds so simulation for R&D will be speeding up too.  The next step for iPhones to use the same charging system already used by the Watch seems a pretty logical one to me.
    Physics and battery requirements are the limiting factors, physics being the biggest one.