Apple's 'iPhone 8' again rumored to feature reinforced glass back, stainless steel frame

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    foggyhill said:
    There is not enough capacity to do a whole 8 (or 7s) release that's OLED, so they'll have to be OLED and LCD models.
    Interesting observation.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    supadav03 said:
    I'm confused by all this. I just don't understand the idea of launching a 7S and iPhone 8 at the same time. Can someone smarter then me please explain the rationale? 
    Upsell. Do modest upgrades to the existing line to make everyone want the new shiny object (which just happens to be the most expensive). Question is does Apple keep the 7 and 7 Plus in addition to a 7S and 7S Plus and an 8 (or whatever they call it)? And keep the SE as well? That's a pretty big iPhone line. I lik3d it when things were simple and it was easier to know what model to buy. These days it's a lot harder because it's no longer just pick a screen size and storage option. These days it seems like Apple designs models that exist purely to get you to buy something more expensive. I mean what's the point of the MBP escape other than to get you to spend more for the touch bar version? I wish there was someone in the marketing department that could bring Apple back to simplicity.
    Nonsense. Unless if by "upsell" you mean "how human economies have worked since the dawn of time" -- whereby when you get more, you pay more.

The notion that "these days" Apple makes low-value entry level models just to trick you into buying the higher models is also nonsense. If they implement these models, the 7s will be a normal upgrade to the previous 7, but the 8/X/Pro will have extra features that you pay more for -- such as magical charging or whatever. Something that you really had no right to expect otherwise. In Apple marketing parlance, these models are usually called "Pro". Does the MBP make the MB a decoy product that only exists to sell you the MBP? Of course not, that's absurd. They wouldn't invest in the manufacturing lines, logistics, and warehousing costs just have them setting on a pallet nothing being sold to anyone. No, they have different features. People like my dad have no interested in magical charging or micro displays -- he was happy w/ his 16GB iPhone so will be equally happy w/ a 7s non-pro or whatever it is. Entry level is fine for entry level customers.

Same w/ the MBP Escape (sans touchbar) -- it exists for people who'd rather spend less and get less. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But yeah, it's easy for some to victimize themselves when there's something more expensive out there.
    The Retina display on the iPhone 4 and iPad 3 didn't cause the cost of the product to rise. Neither did Touch ID with the 5S. With iOS devices it used to be simple, choose your screen size and choose your storage. Now it keeps getting more complicated and Apple creating new lines so they can increase the price. Now not only will you have to consider screen size and storage but materials and display and probably wireless charging. It gets harder to recommend to people because you can't just tell them to pick the screen size and storage option. Now they have to think about camera and materials and charging and display etc.
    So because there are additional choices, you're claiming that means Apple is maliciously designing "decoy" products meant to confuse and trick you into spending more money on higher-capacity products... No, it still doesn't make any sense.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    sflocal said:
    I still think the iPhone4 was - far and away - the best looking iPhone made, with a distant second going to the iPhone5.  
    Agree on the iPhone 4 being the best looking model. However, I think the first iPhone was the next best one.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    supadav03 said:
    I'm confused by all this. I just don't understand the idea of launching a 7S and iPhone 8 at the same time. Can someone smarter then me please explain the rationale? 
    Upsell. Do modest upgrades to the existing line to make everyone want the new shiny object (which just happens to be the most expensive). Question is does Apple keep the 7 and 7 Plus in addition to a 7S and 7S Plus and an 8 (or whatever they call it)? And keep the SE as well? That's a pretty big iPhone line. I lik3d it when things were simple and it was easier to know what model to buy. These days it's a lot harder because it's no longer just pick a screen size and storage option. These days it seems like Apple designs models that exist purely to get you to buy something more expensive. I mean what's the point of the MBP escape other than to get you to spend more for the touch bar version? I wish there was someone in the marketing department that could bring Apple back to simplicity.
    Nonsense. Unless if by "upsell" you mean "how human economies have worked since the dawn of time" -- whereby when you get more, you pay more.

The notion that "these days" Apple makes low-value entry level models just to trick you into buying the higher models is also nonsense. If they implement these models, the 7s will be a normal upgrade to the previous 7, but the 8/X/Pro will have extra features that you pay more for -- such as magical charging or whatever. Something that you really had no right to expect otherwise. In Apple marketing parlance, these models are usually called "Pro". Does the MBP make the MB a decoy product that only exists to sell you the MBP? Of course not, that's absurd. They wouldn't invest in the manufacturing lines, logistics, and warehousing costs just have them setting on a pallet nothing being sold to anyone. No, they have different features. People like my dad have no interested in magical charging or micro displays -- he was happy w/ his 16GB iPhone so will be equally happy w/ a 7s non-pro or whatever it is. Entry level is fine for entry level customers.

Same w/ the MBP Escape (sans touchbar) -- it exists for people who'd rather spend less and get less. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But yeah, it's easy for some to victimize themselves when there's something more expensive out there.
    supadav03 said:

The Retina display on the iPhone 4 and iPad 3 didn't cause the cost of the product to rise. Neither did Touch ID with the 5S. With iOS devices it used to be simple, choose your screen size and choose your storage. Now it keeps getting more complicated and Apple creating new lines so they can increase the price. Now not only will you have to consider screen size and storage but materials and display and probably wireless charging. It gets harder to recommend to people because you can't just tell them to pick the screen size and storage option. Now they have to think about camera and materials and charging and display etc.
    I think the missing piece of the equation is:  While there continues to be a market for the "latest & greatest bleeding edge" product, smart phones are increasingly becoming commoditized where people look more at price than at features.  Apple cannot limit itself to one or the other market.  It certainly cannot compete as a low-cost provider.   But, if it limits itself to only the high end products, its market share will shrink to an unacceptable level.   It needs to open up its product lines to encompass both -- that's where the SE came from (and probably the IPad Mini as well).  But there are other ways to do that -- such as selling 1, 2 and even 3 year old products at deep discounts.  For the Mini, they are clearly doing that as the 3 year old IPad Mini 2 is still being sold, but at a very steep discount.