How to add, use and remove passes in Apple's Wallet app for iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2022
For some people, the Apple Wallet app in iOS might be synonymous with Apple Pay -- something you only see briefly after double-tapping the home button. For the experienced though, it's also a way of keeping passes handy without stuffing paper copies in your pocket.

There are a variety of ways to add passes, including Wallet-ready apps, scanning a code, or even tapping an iOS notification after using Apple Pay at a store. Often, however, you'll be tapping on an "Add to Apple Wallet" icon, whether on a webpage or in an email, such as a receipt for concert tickets. Be sure to do this from your iPhone to make it work.

If you do need to scan a physical pass, this can be done by tapping the "+" button in the Passes section of Wallet.

After confirming that you want to add an item, it should show up in Wallet automatically. Tapping on a pass there will bring up details and make it ready for use, including any QR or barcodes that need to be scanned at a merchant, station, or venue. In some cases, simply appearing at the right location will trigger a lock screen notification you can swipe to jump into the appropriate pass.

You can swipe down on a pass to go back to the main screen, or swipe left and right if there are multiple items associated with the same event, like a ticket for your spouse.

Each pass may also include a link to a relevant app in the lower-left, but will always include an "Information" button in the lower-right. Here you can do things like toggle lock screen notifications and automatic content updates.

More importantly though, this is the only way to remove a pass, as even time-sensitive ones will clutter up Wallet long after their expiry date. It's worth coming back to the app periodically to clean things up if you become a regular user.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I like these tips. Keep them coming!
    Soliwatto_cobramelodyof1974steveau
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I am an avid user of this feature. It is incredibly handy. I have used it to store my boarding passes with many airlines, hotel reservations, loyalty cards, etc. Lots of international airlines are still not using it as I experienced it during my recent trip overseas, but they are getting there. The wallet would be even more handy if it did following
    • Support storing digital identification such as Driver licenses, club membership cards, etc.
    • Ability to create digital passes of anything, so I can store it in my wallet
    • Search capability (though I do love the location based function today)
    • Chronologically ordered for passes with event dates

melodyof1974steveau
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Second snarky comment of the day: How do we add Australian bank cards to Apple Wallet? I do like the tips, keep them coming.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I wish there was a way to automatically expire a ticket, such as a boarding pass or a movie ticket. If you want to access it after it expired, just visit your History.
    steveau