Apple updates Logic Pro X with minor improvements, fixes for erratic region behavior

Posted:
in Mac Software edited February 2017
Apple on Tuesday released a new version of its digital audio workstation, Logic Pro X, making some minor feature additions while simultaneously solving two glitches with regions.

The 10.3.1 update copes with regions behaving "unexpectedly" when moving them, as well as being deleted from inactive Track Alternatives -- branching arrangements users can create within a single song.

In terms of features, global edits that cut or insert time will now also be applied to inactive Track Alternatives. Meanwhile, project sharing with GarageBand for iOS has been made more flexible, allowing projects to be uploaded using sample rates other than the standard 44.1 kilohertz.

Both Track Alternatives and iOS sharing were introduced just a month ago with Logic Pro X 10.3. The same update also brought things like Touch Bar support, including instruments like drum pads and keyboards.

The iOS sharing means that a Logic project can be uploaded to iCloud in a GarageBand-ready version, edited on an iPhone or iPad, and then synced back to a Mac.

The latest Logic Pro X patch is free for existing owners. New the software costs $199.99, and requires OS X 10.11 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Would like to see options to build custom drum kits and drumming styles migrate down to GarageBand for iOS. Should be able to take any drummer and put them on any kit, plus add roto-toms, gongs, splashes or whatever.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    I haven't encountered this issue, but I am glad for the update. The article doesn't state if the problem affected midi regions, audio regions, or both. I work almost exclusively with midi, and have not tried using track alternatives yet. 
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Would like to see options to build custom drum kits and drumming styles migrate down to GarageBand for iOS. Should be able to take any drummer and put them on any kit, plus add roto-toms, gongs, splashes or whatever.
    This would be cool. Perhaps it's just a matter of the amount of space that all those samples would require. I suppose you could keep all the samples in the cloud and just download them as needed. As it is, GB on my phone takes up nearly 1.5 gigs. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Logic X Rocks.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    hexclock said:
    This would be cool. Perhaps it's just a matter of the amount of space that all those samples would require. I suppose you could keep all the samples in the cloud and just download them as needed. As it is, GB on my phone takes up nearly 1.5 gigs. 
    Oh, I don't know... if a third party can make and offer Inter-App Audio or Audio Units apps that can be used like instrumental or effects plug-ins, Apple should be able to expand iOS GarageBand's capabilities as well or better. Would be great to offer expansion instruments and effects of all kind that would have their attention to detail.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hexclock said:
    Oh, I don't know... if a third party can make and offer Inter-App Audio or Audio Units apps that can be used like instrumental or effects plug-ins, Apple should be able to expand iOS GarageBand's capabilities as well or better. Would be great to offer expansion instruments and effects of all kind that would have their attention to detail.
    True, but I had always assumed that the free GarageBand's purpose was to entice the casual music producer or hobbyist into buying Logic. It certainly worked in my case. I did make some money editing audio for a friend for her kids dance recital, so I guess that technically makes me a pro haha. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Your wishes make me wonder if a Logic Pro iOS version (as opposed to the remote app) might not be forthcoming given the power of an iPad Pro.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    So Apple finally had added Logic to the list of GUIs they've ruined. It was looking great until 10.3. Ugh. Apple actually improved FCPX's GUI. First it was iOS and OS X, and now a pro app design has gone down. 

It it looks like a DAW you'd see in 90s era Windows. The completely flat transport buttons (with the Christmas tree green play button).

Im glad I use a different DAW. I considered Logic when it was at 9, but I knew they'd eventually pull this kind of stunt. They've also let the AU spec fall way behind the MAS and VST3 spec. 

Jobs said what he didn't like about M$ was its lack of taste. Apple under Cook has allowed people with no taste to design GUIs. The emagic team still codes Logic but this has to be Apple's doing. I don't care if it's Ivy, they need to show these people the front door. But Cook won't because he has no clue. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    That's funny. I much prefer the GUI of 10.3. It's wonderful to hear that this update has confirmed your decision to go with a different DAW. Perhaps it can help you overcome the insecurities that lead you to post weird diatribes like the one above.