Apple could ditch Qualcomm for new Gbps Intel XMM 7650 modem in iPhone 8

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Apple is moving their modem business entirely to Intel. Anyone who feels otherwise is not thinking clearly. 

QCOM is fighting a judgment against them by the South Korean government and already caved to the Chinese. Apple has thrown down the gauntlet. They already had an exit plan in place. Intel is enabling it and I would not be surprised to see Apple move its SOC business one day to Intel fabs also. 

Intel will likely give Apple preferred pricing for 3D XPoint also. 

QCOM has lost Apple's business. Likely forever. They are going to lose Samsung's business also. 

So much for QCOM's competitiveness in mobile CPUs much less baseband radios going forward. They are about to lose Apple's business entirely and Samsung won't be too far behind. 

Android and Google will be in trouble also. QCOM losing its ability to compete will enable Samsung and Huawei to move off Android and Google Play as the two companies develop their own CPUs and can put an alternative OS on their own high end products like Samsung now does with their own smartwatches. 

darelrex
  • Reply 22 of 24
    My T-mobile IPad constantly moves between 2 and 4 bars without me changing position.  If I turn off cellular for a few seconds it usually bounces back to 4 bars.

I must have gotten one of the crappy Intel modems inside.  Hope the next generation is better.

I'm not a fan of Qualcomm, so I'm hoping Intel got a good deal from them licensing the IP. (As a result of all the lawsuits)
    All iPad modems are Qcom. The iP 7 and 7 Plus are the only products that have Intel.

• Reply 23 of 24
    My T-mobile IPad constantly moves between 2 and 4 bars without me changing position.  If I turn off cellular for a few seconds it usually bounces back to 4 bars.

I must have gotten one of the crappy Intel modems inside.  Hope the next generation is better.

I'm not a fan of Qualcomm, so I'm hoping Intel got a good deal from them licensing the IP. (As a result of all the lawsuits)
    Annnnd this is the way bullshit nonsense gets spread.

No iPad has an Intel modem.

And none of the Intel modems in iPhone 7 are "crappy".
  • Reply 24 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    pk22901 said:

All iPad modems are Qcom. The iP 7 and 7 Plus are the only products that have Intel.

Annnnd this is the way bullshit nonsense gets spread.

No iPad has an Intel modem.

And none of the Intel modems in iPhone 7 are "crappy".
    On tomorrow that, I've heard no reports that Intel's modem have such an issue, only that the Quacomm band witch has been firmware limited to match Intel's for the same iPhone 7 series.

I think it's highly possibly that the next round of iPads could have all or part of theor broadband modems being sourced by Intel.