iOS 10 now installed on 79% of Apple's mobile devices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26

Also, funny that those with the most outrage almost always have short post histories.
    Almost as funny as that certain guy deleting over 800 accounts of life-long supporters of this site for not blindly worshiping Apple.
    Where did that guy go again?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 1,005member
    bitmod said:
    bitmod said:
    Steve Jobs would never in his life allowed this kind of crap that ruins the user experience.
    He did. Get over it.
    He didn't.
    And it's crap. And i'm not alone in my frustration.
    When your only long term solution is 'harass me again tomorrow'... and it pops up an hour later because the clock hit 12... BS.
    Why is there no option to 'don't remind me' like when SJ was alive.
    Are you talking about iOS or OS X? I've never seen a 'ask me again tomorrow' prompt in iOS. And you do know that you can turn off the check for updates function of OS X, right?

Major OS releases frequently have bugs in them which is why I always wait for the x.0.1 version to upgrade, but catastrophic problems are quite rare. Either way, if clicking 'later' is that much of an annoyance to you, how do you tolerate surfing the web? Every other site seems to have some sort of annoying pop up on it.
    netmageStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    bitmod said:

Also, funny that those with the most outrage almost always have short post histories.
    Almost as funny as that certain guy deleting over 800 accounts of life-long supporters of this site for not blindly worshiping Apple.

Who are you talking about?
    pscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 4,556member
    bitmod said:

Who are you talking about?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    bitmod said:
    bitmod said:
    Are you kidding me???
    Only because Apple annoys the F'n S#!* out of you every time you turn your device on with their relentless pop-up windows until you just capitulate out of sheer anger and frustration. 

Honestly, its forced complience and a big steaming pile of bullshit. It's one of the worst policies of Apple and Tim should be tarred and feathered for this crap. Steve Jobs would never in his life allowed this kind of crap that ruins the user experience.

This article isn't anything to be proud of - its just stating how many people Apple made completely misserable before they caved. 
    This can't possibly be true because my SO rarely updates and neither of us have noticed it on the iPad. I can't think of having seen it but I usually update in short order.

So troll harder.
    Stop trolling.
    It's true and it sucks.
    Again, we don't get constant nags so i'm not sure what you're talking about. Others have posted the same. So until you can clarify what's happening to you and or post screens, I'm going to assume you don't know what you're talking about. 
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    This is kinda long, sorry, the TL; DR is that this article doesn't document approval of Apple's latest iOS release by its customers-- it documents Apple's draconian policy of forcing users to ONLY use the latest OS available.

I am an owner of two iPhone 4s devices.  One of them is running iOS 9.3.5 (the latest release available for the iPhone 4s.)  One is running 7.1.2.  My main unit is the 7.1.2 unit, which operates as it should and doesn't nag you to upgrade (that upgrade prompt came in iOS 8.)  It operates as intended and does everything I need-- some apps are degraded and some don't work, but I can deal with that.  

The 9.3.5 unit is UNUSABLE in many ways-- if I load the AppleInsider website on it, for example, I get into a "This website caused an error and was reloaded" endless loop. This error prevents me from loading roughly half the web content I try to access.  I surmise that this is due to the reduced memory size of the A5 processor in the iPhone 4s-- similar issues occur on an iPad 2 (same processor and memory architecture.)

Speed of the unit is incredibly slow, sometimes registering as much as 10 seconds between keypresses on the onscreen keyboard.  Many applications that were laid out for the longer screens of the iPhone 5 series and newer will conveniently locate the "login" or "ok" or "cancel" button under the keyboard so it can't be depressed.  

There are many many issues such as this that point to a lack of quality control and testing on the hardware by Apple.  If Apple is going to allow the OS to run on specific hardware it should extensively test the OS on that hardware, including operability and usability.  

In short-- iOS 9.3.5 breaks iPhone 4s hardware, and other hardware devices have similar issues with upgrades.

The problem here is that the ONLY OS Apple will allow for the iPhone 4s is 9.3.5, as Apple has revoked signing (the cryptographic "approval" that Apple sends to your device to allow the OS to run) for all versions of iOS prior to 9.3.5.  If I ever have to restore the data on my 7.1.2 phone I will be FORCED to upgrade it to 9.3.5, thus destroying my phone.  This is true (with different OS releases) of every iOS device Apple produces.

This is why this article isn't documenting the APPROVAL of the latest release of iOS by its customer, but rather Apple's policy of forcing users to use the latest version of the OS.