Federal court rules police can't force building-wide iPhone fingerprint unlocks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Amazing how quickly people forget that.    What is worse is that this is driven not my elected officials but administrators within the various law enforcement agencies.   I have nothing against properly issued warrants but this is obviously a bit of overreach, effectively trying to bully a bunch of people to incriminate themselves instead of developing real evidence to go after specific people.   In any event we can't really be blaming political parties per say here, it really is a matter of ethical behavior with respect to government officials and a respect for the Bill of Rights.

In a nut shell if we end up with judges on the supreme court that respect the Bill of rights we will secure our freedoms.    If on the other hand we end up with one of those judges that believe that the constitution is a "living document" subject to interpretation based on political winds we will all lose.   
  • Reply 22 of 27
    rob53 said:
    Proof that law enforcement is engaged in an ongoing war against constitutional protections no matter which party is in charge. Remember, demands to crack the iPhone came with the previous administration.
    True that Obama mistakingly installed Comey as Director of the FBI but Comey and the FBI has traditionally been a Republican-leaning conservative organization. It definitely hasn't been a liberal organization and Comey proved that. I believe Obama installed Comey to pacify the Republications in Congress, something Trump could care less about.

I do agree with your statement about law enforcement. As for carrying my iPhone into a foreign country, I took a chance and crossed the border to Canada via the Victoria Clipper. To my surprise, and I shouldn't be saying this, I had no problem going in either direction. Coming back into Seattle, I was surprised all they asked was whether I had any food. I had a fresh bake loaf of bread from a restaurant and they said no problem. Of course, if I cross the border by car they would probably search everything including my phone but the ferry was different. Maybe it was because I only had a backpack.
    You thinking is flawed here because you believe that the Democrats are more likely to protect the Bill of Rights.   It has been demonstrated again and again that this is not the case.    The fact is the Bill of Rights gets in the way of the doctoral policies that the left would love to put in place.   They especially abhor freedom of speech, the right to bear arms and freedom of the press.   The evidence is all around you, it comes in violent protest like we have seen at Berkley and in underhanded government like we have seen in New York and other states.   Come was exactly what Obama needed to try to force his policies through.   

Crossing the border into or out of Canada has never been a big issue.   The biggest delay I ever had was going into Canada with the agent asking about my guns.   That took all of a few minutes and frankly the beautiful agent was very charming and friendly the whole time.   Frankly I only think they bothered to ask because my pickup fitted a profile of some sort.   Canada isn't far away from where I live, even so I don't go in that direction often, at my age you drive to warmer parts of the country when going anywhere.   Well that and I would have to find my passport these days.

Speaking of passport, one of the reasons I rejected every candidate from the Democrats this year is that they failed miserably to reverse policies hostile to our freedoms instituted in a previous administration.   I'm sorry but they had 8 years and all they did was to make those polices worse.   You can't win if you actively disregard the Bill of Rights and implement policies that are specifically designed to lower wages in this country.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 27

rob53 said:
    Proof that law enforcement is engaged in an ongoing war against constitutional protections no matter which party is in charge. Remember, demands to crack the iPhone came with the previous administration.
    True that Obama mistakingly installed Comey as Director of the FBI but Comey and the FBI has traditionally been a Republican-leaning conservative organization. It definitely hasn't been a liberal organization and Comey proved that. I believe Obama installed Comey to pacify the Republications in Congress, something Trump could care less about.

I do agree with your statement about law enforcement. As for carrying my iPhone into a foreign country, I took a chance and crossed the border to Canada via the Victoria Clipper. To my surprise, and I shouldn't be saying this, I had no problem going in either direction. Coming back into Seattle, I was surprised all they asked was whether I had any food. I had a fresh bake loaf of bread from a restaurant and they said no problem. Of course, if I cross the border by car they would probably search everything including my phone but the ferry was different. Maybe it was because I only had a backpack.
    What makes you think that border agenda search phones without some reason?  I've traveled quite a bit, and I've never had a border agent ask a single question about the content of my laptop or phone.  They ask about fresh food and the like to protect agriculture.bout fresh food and the like to protect agriculture.
    I've never had an issue coming back into the USA.    Be it a business trip with lots of tech in tow or a pleasure trip.   The biggest delay I ever had was going into Canada and that was a very brief set of questions about my "guns".   Most of those trips involved crossing Canada to get to Detroit, and frankly you got bigger delays in traffic than at the border.   Reentry questions usually consisted of how lone where you in Canada - answer: just for the drive from NY to Detroit - followed by did you buy anything - answer: no - have a good day.   Act like a criminal and you will get treated like one.

The real question is are these searches truly random.   Some might be and that is a problem.   My gut feeling is that the vast majority of the time they have a motivation of some sort for the search.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    NemWan said:
    There are still about 15-30% of Americans who actually don't use the Internet or social media, depending how the question is asked.
    you can use the Internet AND NOT use Social Media. I refuse the latter. I have no inclination to ever want to give my life away because that is what social media is. IT is a tool for advertisers to sling ads at you for crap you don't want.
    I have seen what being addicted to Social Media can do to someone. It wasn't a pretty sight I can tell you. It is as bad as being hooked on hard drugs and you don't have to find thosands of $$$ to pay a dealer in order to do it.

• Reply 25 of 27
    davemcm76 said:
    This sounds like a stupid idea to begin with and shows their complete ignorance of the technology given that the iPhone would revert to requiring a passcode after the first 5 failed touchid attempts, so unless the police happened to get very lucky and find the phones owner - and his correct finger - in the first 5 tries this would be a completely wasted effort regardless of whether it was legal or not.
    That's reportedly not what happens. They demand you unlock the phone, then they take it to a hidden room where they copy the contents while the phone is unlocked. They then bring it back to you after they're done.

If you refuse to unlock your phone or computer, you may be denied entry.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 26 of 27
    NemWan said:
    There are still about 15-30% of Americans who actually don't use the Internet or social media, depending how the question is asked.
    you can use the Internet AND NOT use Social Media. I refuse the latter. I have no inclination to ever want to give my life away because that is what social media is. IT is a tool for advertisers to sling ads at you for crap you don't want.
    I have seen what being addicted to Social Media can do to someone. It wasn't a pretty sight I can tell you. It is as bad as being hooked on hard drugs and you don't have to find thosands of $$$ to pay a dealer in order to do it.

The last time I traveled to China for business (and before any of this started happening) I didn't take a phone or computer because I didn't trust their government and I felt it would simply be too much of a risk. In addition, I did not use the Internet while I was there at all.
    edited February 2017