February Apple Park drone footage shows completed R&D facility, near-final solar installat...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    clock07 said:
    Soli said:
    lojack said:
    The grid is by design since the area used to be orchards in a time before tech. I'm curious if they actually planted fruit tree varietals that used to grow there.

[…]

As with all things Apple, the company's attention to detail and precision when it comes to landscaping the campus is meticulous. And expensive.

There are currently 4,506 trees on the site that Apple bought from Hewlett-Packard. Some of those will be boxed up and preserved for re-planting, probably stored elsewhere on the site.
    In addition, the company intends to increase the number of trees to 7,000.
    "In excess of 6,000 trees will be planted on the site, including fruit trees, in addition to retaining approximately 1,000 trees currently on the site," Apple says in its proposal.

As part of the new development, the vast majority of the perimeter tress will be retained. Many of the interior trees will eventually moved to the perimeter. In general, the increase in trees is designed to create a kind of canopy effect over much of the campus.

Among the types of trees will be Oaks Savannah, Oaks Woodland, and fruit trees including apricot, apple plum, cherry and persimmon.

[…]

Very nice move by Apple, it's little known that Nikola Tesla had had some significant revellations during his stay in nature, in woods actually, as well as Steve Jobs used to emphasise the benefits from listening nature's silence, from which can be learnt a lot, pretty much as successful sportsman like Novak Djokovic draws stregth from for his matches. Hopefully Apple will encourage its employees to use some of their breaks amidst trees. Bravo Apple !
    The link to the image I posted above in my edit has a legend with color codes for the various fruit trees and their placement throughout the campus.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Soli said:
    rarild said:
    What happened to the old barn?
    Good question. I haven't noticed a barn within of the drone flyovers. I wasn't looking for it, but I'd think it would stand out.

I seem to recall reading that it would be used to store landscaping and sporting equipment, so perhaps it's over by the fitness center.

edit: This plan is from Feb 2012, and I'm skeptical that the barn would be placed that close to the fitness center, but it's only thing that stands out. Maybe it's not even on the Campus proper.

Thanks for making the effort. Well if Apple doesn't know what to do with the old barn, we can give them suggestions. I suggest Tim Cook can have his office in it. Or have it IN his office. Provided Jony approves.