Supply constraints will limit OLED to just 'iPhone 8,' benefitting Apple in long run - rep...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

brucemc said:
    Rather than a sea change in iPhone screen technology spanning an entire line in one update, Cihra believes that the technology will be limited to the high-end anniversary "iPhone 8," expected to surface in the fall. As a side-effect, explosive growth in iPhone sales in one year that may have been induced by a screen shift away from LED and towards OLED will be spread over up to 3 years and have a greater effect on stock price over time than it would have had otherwise.
    I don't buy into the argument that any super cycle would have been due to shift from LED to OLED.  iPhones have always had one of, if not the, best displays of any smartphone.  Only an *extreme* minority have any interest in the underlying display technology .  The interest in an iPhone 8/X that might induce a larger upgrade cycle is due a new design, new features, new functions - an overall wow factor.  OLED is a part that might enable that, but to state that such is driven by OLED is ridiculous.  This simply furthers the view that analysts have no clue about Apple or the products they sell.
    What I think is happening here is that OLED displays are simpler to manufacture because instead of three layers - filters, LCD and backlight, plus two power supplies, one for the LCD and one for the backlight, OLED offers simplicity, and thinness. It also offers bendable displays. I hope Apple won't go the curved edge Samsung has gone with their phones, unless they come up with a real use case, as Samsung has failed to do so far.

but OLED also offers pretty much edgeless designs, which is extremely difficult to do with LCDs. There is just one manufacturer of edgeless LCD panels, and they are a small company, and don't make the ips displays Apple needs.

you can also have holes in an OLED display which is also almost impossible with an LCD, and, in addition, there is the possibility of the always on time, weather, or other function that Android OLED phones offer because of the tiny power draw when just a few words or graphics are displayed at once. We can't get that with LCD either.

its these features, and possibly more, that makes OLED so desirable. In the past, the deficits of going OLED overpowered the benefits.

so, yes, OLED offers a lot for Apple, as long as they are now convinced that the longetivity and quality of the displays are up to their standard, and the price is right. As going OLED is what makes these features possible, then sure, going OLED will lead to the increase in sales.

melgross said:

brucemc said:
    Rather than a sea change in iPhone screen technology spanning an entire line in one update, Cihra believes that the technology will be limited to the high-end anniversary "iPhone 8," expected to surface in the fall. As a side-effect, explosive growth in iPhone sales in one year that may have been induced by a screen shift away from LED and towards OLED will be spread over up to 3 years and have a greater effect on stock price over time than it would have had otherwise.
    I don't buy into the argument that any super cycle would have been due to shift from LED to OLED.  iPhones have always had one of, if not the, best displays of any smartphone.  Only an *extreme* minority have any interest in the underlying display technology .  The interest in an iPhone 8/X that might induce a larger upgrade cycle is due a new design, new features, new functions - an overall wow factor.  OLED is a part that might enable that, but to state that such is driven by OLED is ridiculous.  This simply furthers the view that analysts have no clue about Apple or the products they sell.
    What I think is happening here is that OLED displays are simpler to manufacture because instead of three layers - filters, LCD and backlight, plus two power supplies, one for the LCD and one for the backlight, OLED offers simplicity, and thinness. It also offers bendable displays. I hope Apple won't go the curved edge Samsung has gone with their phones, unless they come up with a real use case, as Samsung has failed to do so far.

but OLED also offers pretty much edgeless designs, which is extremely difficult to do with LCDs. There is just one manufacturer of edgeless LCD panels, and they are a small company, and don't make the ips displays Apple needs.

you can also have holes in an OLED display which is also almost impossible with an LCD, and, in addition, there is the possibility of the always on time, weather, or other function that Android OLED phones offer because of the tiny power draw when just a few words or graphics are displayed at once. We can't get that with LCD either.

its these features, and possibly more, that makes OLED so desirable. In the past, the deficits of going OLED overpowered the benefits.

so, yes, OLED offers a lot for Apple, as long as they are now convinced that the longetivity and quality of the displays are up to their standard, and the price is right. As going OLED is what makes these features possible, then sure, going OLED will lead to the increase in sales.

I'm being lazy here, but do OLEDs also suffer from image burn-in?
    Yes they do. Look up Samsung S phones burn in and you'll find a lot of articles, posts and pictures. But over the years it's been getting much better. Remember when plasmas first came out? There was a lot of burn in, but over time, it became much better - just in time for plasma to go belly up in the market because of LCD.
    I love plasmas.

Wish I could still buy them. They are so much better than LCD trash today.
    The best plasmas were pretty good. But truthfully, the best LCD sets today are better. Even my now old Samsung 61" rear projection with its three large LED lighting has better color. In fact, it has the best color generally available. I wish companies were still making those, but people don't want them. It's got to be thin, and then thinner.
    I have a Pioneer Kuro and have yet to see anything top it. And it's not even FullHD. The image processors do an amazing job at making everything look so natural. FullHD content actually looks better on my non-HD panel than any FullHD panel I've seen.The sound is also amazing (for in built sound).

There are probably better screens out there but the Kuro was definitely a best in class TV.

My wife always says she will miss it when its gone.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

brucemc said:

melgross said:

brucemc said:

Yes they do. Look up Samsung S phones burn in and you'll find a lot of articles, posts and pictures. But over the years it's been getting much better. Remember when plasmas first came out? There was a lot of burn in, but over time, it became much better - just in time for plasma to go belly up in the market because of LCD.
    I love plasmas.

The best plasmas were pretty good. But truthfully, the best LCD sets today are better. Even my now old Samsung 61" rear projection with its three large LED lighting has better color. In fact, it has the best color generally available. I wish companies were still making those, but people don't want them. It's got to be thin, and then thinner.
    I have a Pioneer Kuro and have yet to see anything top it. And it's not even FullHD. The image processors do an amazing job at making everything look so natural. FullHD content actually looks better on my non-HD panel than any FullHD panel I've seen.The sound is also amazing (for in built sound).

There are probably better screens out there but the Kuro was definitely a best in class TV.

What doomed Plasmas was that they were much more expensive to produce than LCD's thus cutting down margins.
    This wasn't a major issue when TV's were expensive but as ASP went down, margins were squeezed.
    The R&D needed to pursue 4K Plasma as margins became small doomed it.
    Plasma images or top end sets are still better than any LCD I've seen, only top end OLED are comparable or better (but not in everything).
  • Reply 23 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

brucemc said:

melgross said:

brucemc said:

I love plasmas.

What doomed Plasmas was that they were much more expensive to produce than LCD's thus cutting down margins.
    This wasn't a major issue when TV's were expensive but as ASP went down, margins were squeezed.
    Plasma images or top end sets are still better than any LCD I've seen, only top end OLED are comparable or better (but not in everything).
    They were also a lot thicker, weighed a lot more, and sucked power like there was no tomorrow. All of these factors killed them
  • Reply 24 of 27
    melgross said:
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

brucemc said:

melgross said:

brucemc said:

I love plasmas.

They were also a lot thicker, weighed a lot more, and sucked power like there was no tomorrow. All of these factors killed them
    But the worst part was the timing. Pioneer had thin and light in the pipeline. I still remember seeing the photos of this prototype from CES 2008 and everyone drooling over it.

http://pioneer.jp/en/news/press/2008/0107-1.html

When they did the demo in a completely dark room nobody realised that the panel was actually on all the time but just not emitting any light through the panel. It was one of those wow! moments.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 25 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

brucemc said:

melgross said:

brucemc said:

I love plasmas.

But the worst part was the timing. Pioneer had thin and light in the pipeline. I still remember seeing the photos of this prototype from CES 2008 and everyone drooling over it.

When they did the demo in a completely dark room nobody realised that the panel was actually on all the time but just not emitting any light through the panel. It was one of those wow! moments.
    Pioneer introduced their newest, and best line, and then, before they were even in the stores, announced their discontinuation, and that they were going (like most everyone else) out of the plasma business.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

brucemc said:

melgross said:

brucemc said:

I love plasmas.

Pioneer introduced their newest, and best line, and then, before they were even in the stores, announced their discontinuation, and that they were going (like most everyone else) out of the plasma business.
    Yes. The timing was off. Pioneer chose to go premium just as the world financial crisis kicked in (although I qualified for a thousand euro's worth of Pioneer hard drive/DVD equipment with my purchase). We can only wonder what might have happened if they had managed to get that thin concept panel out the door at a sellable but premium price. There really was nothing like it at the time. Wow. Nearly ten years ago but it seems like yesterday.

And I wonder who got to keep the panel. :-)