App Store, Apple Music, iCloud & other Apple services impacted by Amazon outage [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    There's been a definite sign of problems as far as updating apps. It's slower than molasses in January.
    Shhh!  (I'm blaming that on the age of my original iPad mini, to justify replacing it after the "refresh".)
  • Reply 22 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:
    This right here is proof that serious companies (including Apple) should have multiple Cloud providers. 

If Amazon is down? Well you have a backup.

Hope more corps realize this and start diversifying away from Amazon cloud
    sog35 said:
    karmadave said:
    Why doesn't Apple host all its own business on its own servers!
    They have been moving rapidly to move most if not all of their content to 'in-house' servers. Building and maintaining a huge Cloud infrastructure is no trivial task and utilizing outside services, such as Amazon, Microsoft, and Google, provides them time-to-market and flexibility that they might not otherwise have by strictly relying on their own. I work in this business and understand some of the challenges and complexities of building and maintaining a highly reliable, scalable, and flexible infrastructure. Apple is good at many things, but this has NEVER been a particular strength of theirs...
    Why is it so hard to build a cloud?

I mean if Apple throws Billions into cloud, would they not have a cloud just as good as Amazon? 
    You really should avoid commenting on things you know absolutely nothing about. Just my opinion.
    Commenting on things he knows absolutely about is Sog's specialty. He's been doing it since his first post, and it's shameless. 
    sflocal said:
    So Sog is now an sofa-taught Systems Engineer in a position to tell Apple how to build redundant, scalable data centers?  Wow... he's a child wearing many fuzzy animal hats.
    Of course he is. Just like he's in a position to demand Cook's resignation in every single thread for an entire year. Until he suddenly flips and declares Cook a hero, because of stock price. As well as understanding fuck-all about the market, wallstreet, or investing, sog understand little about anything else. But that won't stop him from making ultra-confident declarations so he can announce his proud ignorance to all. 
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Considering most Apple services come at a premium, speed and reliability should be top notch. How does Google perform in comparison (I honestly don't know)?
    Apple used to make servers, they have server software, loads of money. Yet downloading a doc of 5MB from iCloud can take sometimes forever, iTunes Match often doesn't download or stream, even on wi-fi, Facetime can be choppy. I live in Europe and I hope their own data centers come online soon and the performance will increase dramatically. Because for what one pays, it feels often like 1990 speeds.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Update: Apple's system status page is showing an all clear as of 1:35 p.m. Pacific.
    And that is inaccurate. iCloud.com and various related services are still down for me and others.