Apple Watch saw 'best quarter ever' with 4.6M units during holidays, estimate claims

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Thanks to the Series 1 and Series 2, the Apple Watch saw its best-ever performance in the December quarter, according to research estimates shared on Thursday -- even if Apple was eclipsed in the wearables market by the likes of Xiaomi.

Apple shipped 4.6 million Watches in the quarter, up from 4.1 million a year ago, according to IDC data. Apple has yet to publish any official Watch sales numbers, and in its most recent financial call claimed only that the device set new records in "both units and revenue," straining production capacity.

"The lower entry price point and the inclusion of GPS on the Series 2 along with a completely revamped user interface have helped the company grow its presence," IDC commented. "Apple is one of the few companies that has been able to quickly refocus its watch to gain traction in the consumer market and has also been leading the charge on introducing the smartwatch category to the commercial segment."

Apple swung more heavily towards the fitness market with the Series 2, adding GPS and full waterproofing -- features often reserved for high-end trackers by the likes of Garmin. It even put out a special Nike+ edition, featuring unique Sport Bands and preloaded software.

The Series 1, meanwhile, brought the Watch's base price down to $269, while still offering an upgraded processor.

Apple's global marketshare nevertheless fell from 14.1 percent to 13.6 percent in the last quarter, IDC said. This was linked to "relentless" growth by Xiaomi, which leapt from 2.6 million units to 5.2 million, giving it a 15.2 percent share.

Fitbit retained overall control of wearables, but plummeted from 8.4 million units to just 6.5, bringing its share down from 29 percent to 19.2. Long focused exclusively on fitness, the company is hoping to enter the smartwatch arena to regain an edge.

Apple is thought to be at work on a third-generation Watch model, which could adopt new touch technology and possibly LTE support. The latter might let people use the device completely independently of an iPhone, solving one of the biggest complaints so far.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ok, so now there are three estimates of Watch sales last quarter.

this one at 4.6 million

another at 5.3 million

and yet another at 6 million

i know which one I'd like to think is closest, but who knows?

also, IDC isn't measuring smartwatch sales, shipments, or whatever, they are measuring wearables, from under $100 to some top price we don't know about. The other two estimates have Apple at between 55 and 66% of smartwatch sales.

edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 32
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I'd love to know the ASP of the Xiaomi wearables. With the way android wear devices get left behind on updates (kinda like its phone brethren) I'd never buy one. Just read recently about a bunch of LG & Sony watches not getting the newest version. Why throw your money away? I bought an Apple Watch and it's been awesome. New Watch OS has improved it greatly and I could likely wait until physical Watch version 3.0 before updating. 
    chiaalbegarcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Love my apple watch
    chiastanthemanStrangeDayswatto_cobraGeorgeBMacsteveau
  • Reply 4 of 32
    sog35 said:
    Why are we comparing $10 piece of shit Xiaomi crap to $200 Apple Watches?
    Why?
    Because IDC need the clicks to generate revenue and because they decided to include them in the report.
    Who paid for it btw?

How do you know the Xiaomi device is shit? Do you have one? IF so why is it shit?

Note that I'm not and never will be in the market for something that goes around my wrists so I don't have an axe to grind either way.

• Reply 5 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is the same as comparing iPhones to Android phones. The vast majority of Android phones sold are in the lower end market, a market that Apple chooses not to compete in.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraapplepieguy
  • Reply 6 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:
    Why?
    Because IDC need the clicks to generate revenue and because they decided to include them in the report.
    Who paid for it btw?

How do you know the Xiaomi device is shit? Do you have one? IF so why is it shit?

Note that I'm not and never will be in the market for something that goes around my wrists so I don't have an axe to grind either way.

Does this answer your question?

Sure looks like shit to me.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraapplepieguy
  • Reply 7 of 32
    MikeymikeMikeymike Posts: 102member
    "even if Apple was eclipsed in the wearables market by the likes of Xiaomi."

Crap. I didn't even know Xiaomi was 'in' the wearables market; And they're ahead of Apple?? That kinda sucks.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:
    Why?
    Who paid for it btw?

Yeah, look like a $10 pos that's sold at convenient stores.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    melgross said:

this one at 4.6 million

another at 5.3 million

also, IDC isn't measuring smartwatch sales, shipments, or whatever, they are measuring wearables, from under $100 to some top price we don't know about. The other two estimates have Apple at between 55 and 66% of smartwatch sales.

was going to say the same thing, again made up number for made up analysis. We all should not be surprise since it appears our university have been cranking out students who can not seem to understand the difference between actual facts and made up fact.

There is actually another estimate I saw that put sales closer to 1M, in spite of the fact I was just sitting with 3 other people today who all got new apple watch over the xmas holiday. I am seeing more and more of the apple watch almost as many as Fitbit I see on a daily basis. In the world of smart watches and fitness trackers I only see apple watches and Fitbits, and Fitbit has already said they can not compete with Apple in the Smartwatch space

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Even with the lower cost Fitbit and Xiaomi devices, Apple are doing pretty well. Especially compared to Samsung.

(The current Fitbit range is overpriced anyway. Especially compared to their previous versions.)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    Despite Millenials' dislike of watches, I wonder if college students could be a big growth market for Watch -- assuming the associated buildout of access points:
      - Dorm access
      - College Store purchases
      - Realtime update of campus events

This is a large addressable market with high repeatability, and capturing them as customers early (young) could make them lifelong users.
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 32
    stevo-nzstevo-nz Posts: 11member
    I've had nothing but problems with Apple's new GPS. The Nike app is crap. The GPS seems to stop on its own when you hit anything above 17km. I have a feeling whenever Apple's Activities alerts happen, GPS automatically switches off. Either that, or the crown is the problem in that whenever you're climbing, your hand bends back and pushes it accidentally. This has happened on both Nike and RunKeeper apps. I'm now trialling Strava's new update. Using Strava is good as runs can link back into their platform which then gives you elevation information. Pity we can't get that on-the-fly. So my experience so far is they are still behind Garmin when it comes to hard core sports enthusiasts.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Is there insight into earnings and profit vs quantities? Also what is the type performance range being included?  

I am getting deja vu with iPhone and iPad and Netbooks compare.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 32
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    maestro64 said:
    melgross said:

this one at 4.6 million

another at 5.3 million

was going to say the same thing, again made up number for made up analysis. We all should not be surprise since it appears our university have been cranking out students who can not seem to understand the difference between actual facts and made up fact.

There is actually another estimate I saw that put sales closer to 1M, in spite of the fact I was just sitting with 3 other people today who all got new apple watch over the xmas holiday. I am seeing more and more of the apple watch almost as many as Fitbit I see on a daily basis. In the world of smart watches and fitness trackers I only see apple watches and Fitbits, and Fitbit has already said they can not compete with Apple in the Smartwatch space

Since Apple doesn't release any sales figures, it of course is all estimates.  Now Apple is just like all the other companies - not releasing specific sales figures in this area - and it drives the media and bloggers nuts.  Good for Apple - let Samsung et al try to figure out how big this market is & will be on their own.

I follow a couple of focused analytical persons (Dediu and Neil Cybart) who do much more investigation and analysis on Apple, and they have their own estimates which are in range of 5.3-5.5M units in the just past holiday quarter.  They are estimates, but in my view, "better" than the typical firm.

As for the 1M, that was a speculative report that focused on the September quarter (Apples FY'16 Q4).  Basically most of the quarter was the dry period before Apple released Series 1 and 2.  So yeah - after product was released for 12+ months and right before the refresh, it might have been a poor quarter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

stevo-nz said:
    I've had nothing but problems with Apple's new GPS. The Nike app is crap. The GPS seems to stop on its own when you hit anything above 17km. I have a feeling whenever Apple's Activities alerts happen, GPS automatically switches off. Either that, or the crown is the problem in that whenever you're climbing, your hand bends back and pushes it accidentally. This has happened on both Nike and RunKeeper apps. I'm now trialling Strava's new update. Using Strava is good as runs can link back into their platform which then gives you elevation information. Pity we can't get that on-the-fly. So my experience so far is they are still behind Garmin when it comes to hard core sports enthusiasts.
    You may know this, but just in case you don't - there is the option on the Apple Watch app on iPhone to change the orientation of watch to have crown point the other way.  While I keep mine in the "traditional watch" mode most of the time, I do change it when I go skiing (or other activities wearing gloves which cause the same issue you note).  Very simple - took less than 30s to make the app change & swap the band around. 

I have actually had it dial 911 erroneously once - my gloves pushed in the side button enough to bring up the "power off & SOS call" screen, and there must have been enough moisture and a movement that slide that SOS button.  Next thing I knew my phone was dialing 911 (found out the watch makes a different alert for this:).  I cancelled the call, but they still called me back to understand what was going on.
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 16 of 32
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    sog35 said:
    Same thing with shit fake news outlets like Forbes. Buy Forbes and fire all those shitty writers.
    Then who would the Macalope make fun of?
  • Reply 17 of 32
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:
    Why?
    Who paid for it btw?

To be fair, ugly as it is, Xiaomi probably didn't sell many of those. Most Xiaomi sales would be basic wearables like the lower end fitbits. The problem here is IDC has invented a 'wearables' category that combines an extremely wide gamut of quite limited functionality devices with smart watches. So wide it is useless for anything but clickbait. Might as well combine bicycles, omnibuses and sport cars in a 'vehicle' category.
    watto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 18 of 32
  • Reply 19 of 32
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    There's the Apple Watch and there's all the rest.
    Nuff said.
    I own the original and am awaiting AW3 this fall, especially if it has LTE.
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    bluefire1 said:
    There's the Apple Watch and there's all the rest.
    Nuff said.
    I own the original and am awaiting AW3 this fall, especially if it has LTE.
    LTE's tricky, as it currently requires a SIM, which means putting a slot, tray, and the little eject hole somewhere in the watch. That takes space in a device that's already pretty full, and also may compromise the water resistance. I don't think Apple will put LTE (or successor technologies) in the Apple Watch until they can get the carriers to accept the virtual SIM. IE a SIM without the card (as opposed to the current Apple SIM which is a programmable SIM card). They hold the patents on that idea, or they did, but they didn't seem to be having any luck getting the carriers on board. The carriers might be more inclined if it was opening up a new market, such as the Apple Watch.
    watto_cobra