Google's second-gen Pixel due in 2017, will tackle Apple iPhone in 'premium' segment

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Google only really did one thing interesting with the Pixel. They added inline hardware encryption, no doubt to improve performance with encryption enabled. To my knowledge, it's the only Android vendor to have ever done so.

Finally caught up with the iPhone 3GS.
    Haha - ya! iPh3GS functionality with iPh6 specs. It should only be another eight years before they match iPh5S as a whole unit. ;) I cannot believe Goog is just so stupid.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 48
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    "Tackle" the iPhone premium segment?
    More like grab for the ankles and hope some change falls from it's pockets.
    Soli
  • Reply 43 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    tedp88 said:
    I have both a 7Plus and a Pixel XL. If you are on the switcher fence or curious about Android - the Pixel is a nice device, period. No reason to be threatened by it. What I can't adjust to using Android are all the ads and general feel of the apps. As a long time iOS user and occasional switcher, I am comparing out of box experiences with stock set ups. The ads in Chrome and apps are the most jarring experience. I know you can do a system wide blocker but its nowhere as easy to implement as iOS. I read a lot of iPhone and Pixel comparisons and no one mentions this. Not sure why. The other two biggies that pull me back to iOS are the overall integration of platform across screens and privacy. IMO, iOS married to MacOS has more continuity than an Android <> Windows set up and if I am doing MacOS <> Android, why bother? The real advantage of paying for Apple stuff is the continuity / ecosystem. Re. privacy; With iOS I don't feel like I am being watched, mined, marketed to. I am sure its more in my head but just a feeling I can't shake when on Android. It's freaky how much of my internet breadcrumbs show up everywhere and what they "suggest" to me. In the last year it seems that the tech pundits have tried to present a scenario where Apple is slipping and others are catching up. I always keep an Android around as a spare device and occasional peek to on what the other team is up to. I look forward to what insight the Pixel 2 brings.
    Those are all very valid points and something switchers should be aware of. Especially older generations that are probably more sensitive to how companies can track/target you.

• Reply 44 of 48
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I can see this one being more popular than the original Pixel phone. It might even be as popular as that Amazon phone with 6 cameras that few people seem to remember.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    starwarsstarwars Posts: 72member
    The story is I'd probably only give pixel a go over other androids or china brands, but not it over iPhone.

But no I don't use android, so don't even need to talk about it.

Tackle iPhone? It's not your fight.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    horvatichorvatic Posts: 144member
    The pixel was a total failure like all Google phones. They lied about there camera specs even to try and get more sales. Apple isn't going to stand still in it's development. There first one was supposed to compete in the high end market and it didn't do anything at all. Doubt if the second one will do any better.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    starwars said:
    The story is I'd probably only give pixel a go over other androids or china brands, but not it over iPhone.

But no I don't use android, so don't even need to talk about it.

Tackle iPhone? It's not your fight.
    I wouldn't. Flagship android phones don't hold value well and you can get flagship performance from the 2nd tier from reputable manufactures like OnePlus and ZTE for almost half the price and semi-decent updates.  

Even my older Axon Pro is going to get N this year from ZTE and there is already an N download from XDA if you are willing to go the custom ROM route.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/heres-how-google-pixel-stacks-up-against-the-oneplus-3-and-axon-7/