Review: Audeze's Lightning-connected iSine 10 planar magnetic headphones are the best in-e...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    k2kw said:
    Neil, Just wondering if this uses the Ultra Accessory connector we read from Mike Wuerthele  a couple weeks ago and if so how does it work.    A picture of the connector would be nice too.
    No, as noted, it's a proprietary connector. Here's what it looks like. 

pscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 45
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    "Audeze has somehow managed to cram planar magnetic technology into a form factor that can be worn on —but mostly in —your ears."

Seriously, "mostly in"? From the pics the in-ear part is dwarfed by the Darth Vader Tie Fighter wings on the outside. Perhaps you meant the total mass (weight included). Or the technology guts that may be 51% in the ear and 49% out. 

That having been said, if you step back and see these as a hybrid between on-ear phones and in-ear ones, they don't look that strange. Think on-ear without the over-the-head band. 
    They are light enough, and enough of the device goes in your ear, that you can comfortably wear them without a clip – that's why I said they are mostly in your ear. Technically they are "in-ear headphones" but obviously these things are bigger than your average pair of buds. 

But you're right -- hybrid is the best way to think of these. Most of the portability of earbuds paired with most of the sound quality of stellar headphones (which virtually all other earbuds are not).
  • Reply 23 of 45
    macgui said:
    noivad said:
    Judging by the review, If looks are you primary concern, just buy a cheap pair of good looking headphones: if audio quality is second, you don’t really care about audio.
    Well, Apple fans tend to favor style over substance anyway. When I read the review last night I knew there would be crybabies whining about the looks. Maybe it'll take a little heat off the AirPods' aesthetics.
    "I think I'll insult my audience by asserting something that isn't true and then respond to a bunch of other points while they are primed to be skeptical/antagonistic."  Good plan.
    baconstangStrangeDayspscooter63beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 24 of 45
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    nhughes said:
    k2kw said:
    Neil, Just wondering if this uses the Ultra Accessory connector we read from Mike Wuerthele  a couple weeks ago and if so how does it work.    A picture of the connector would be nice too.

The ability to completely switch the cable is an important feature on any pair of Lightning compatible headphones, and was one of the arguments I countered with for all those who insisted Lightning headphones would be useless once Apple dropped Lightning, or digital audio connectors coelesced around a different standard. Buying an expensive Lightning-only headphone is a short sighted choice. Fortunately it seems most are able to swap cables, stopping the argument dead that such headphones would be useless, as was the baseless argument that 3.5mm equipped headphones would be completely useless with the iPhone 7 (I wouldn't buy a new 3.5mm fixed cable headphone pair now either). Nevertheless, I would still prefer to carry around a Lightning to 3.5mm, or USB-C, et al, adapter for use with other audio equipment rather than a completely different cable. I'm still stunned that 7 months after the iPhone 7 was introduced, that no one, including Apple have even hinted at Lightning headphone adapters. Maybe we'll get that with the next MacBook update announcement.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    ireland said:
    The hideous design, bulky size and price tag would stop me considering buying these, so there's no way they deserve a 4/5 in my opinion.
    ireland said:
    The hideous design, bulky size and price tag would stop me considering buying these, so there's no way they deserve a 4/5 in my opinion.
    Are you in the market for high-quality audio? Have you listened to them? If not yes to both then I'm struggling with your review of the review. 
    Exactly - if you want a sleek, nearly invisible design then spend $175 on the AirPods. If you're spending $400 on a pair of headphones then I'd wager sound quality is more important to you than looks. Either way, I complete agree with Strange days. The only thing anyone who hasn't actually tried them is qualified to comment on is the external appearance.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Yet people mocked the look of the AirPods. If these things were a hair bigger one would look like Princess Leia at the gym...
    alexmac
  • Reply 27 of 45
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    It would be nice to be able to try them somewhere. I currently have the UE4 Pro in ear headphones from Ultimate Ears. These are fitted to the individual ear channel by an audiologist. The cost of these is $400 + the audiology exam. Performance is excellent. These make you look you are an interviewer for CNN or a performing rock musician, since they all use these.
    I was going to say... for $400 you can get some great, custom-modeled, in-ear monitors used by professional musicians for that price. Heck they'd probably have 4 drivers and sound better than anything you can find elsewhere.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    At this price point I would think real headphones would be a better option. Why go to the compromises for what seems a hybrid device, a device they seem to have worked very hard at going out of the way to make them ugly?

it would have been good to compare them with planar magnetic headphones.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    kdjohn3kdjohn3 Posts: 30member
    I consider myself an audiophile. Sound quality is my #1 criterion when choosing headphones. I own Denon AHD-5000 headphones ($699) and I used Shure E500PTH in-ear monitors daily for years until the cables wore out. (The newer Shure SE535 IEMs have easily replaceable detachable cables so this is no longer a problem.) I love the sound of both and they both look like gorgeous pieces of high end gear befitting the price. It doesn't matter how good the Audeze iSign sound. I would never consider them when there are dozens of similarly priced high end models on the market that don't look ridiculous. 

Shure E500PTH

Denon AHD-5000

• Reply 30 of 45
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Are you in the market for high-quality audio? Have you listened to them? If not yes to both then I'm struggling with your review of the review. 
    Exactly. If all you're worried about is how they look in your ears, then spend $175 on a pair of AirPods (or something cheaper, for that matter.) I completely agree with StrangeDays - for most people spending $400 on a set of headphones, sound quality trumps looks. If you haven't actually used them, the only thing you're capable of commenting on is the appearance and you're certainly not in a position to dispute the review's rating.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Look Ma, I'm a Tie Fighter listening to John Williams' score!

kdjohn3randominternetperson
  • Reply 32 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

zoetmb said:
    Notsofast said:
    This picture sums up why wireless has taken over and most people are rapidly moving away from this tangled mess.  Seems like these are a big step backwards in terms of even heavier, less flexible cables.  Ugh!

http://photos5.appleinsider.com/gallery/19432-22182-IMG_1147-l.jpg

No, the picture sums up all the accessories that come with the device.  You only use one cable at a time.   And the review specifically said that the flat cable is less likely to tangle.   And I'm not sure I want wireless next to my head.   As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out as to whether wireless and smartphones are a health hazard or not.   There are claims on both sides of that argument.   
    What data suggests BT wireless is a human health hazard?
    The Tinfoil Gazette is always running articles on the dangers of things only sciencologists understand.
    edited March 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 45
    MikeymikeMikeymike Posts: 102member
    Hell. ANYBODY can make a "great sounding" pair of headphones, if "looks"  is no consideration. It's easy.

robin huberSoliefithian@mac.comalexmac
  • Reply 34 of 45
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    nhughes said:
    k2kw said:

Thanks,   Not sure if I like those two little prongs as the connection.   Doesn't seem as nice as lightning.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    randominternetperson said:

"I think I'll insult my audience by asserting something that isn't true and then respond to a bunch of other points while they are primed to be skeptical/antagonistic."  Good plan.
    And yet plenty of posts before and after my post bear out the truth of my assertion.

Thanks,   Not sure if I like those two little prongs as the connection.   Doesn't seem as nice as lightning.

I'm unclear as to what 'seem as nice' means. As far as functionality is concerned a Lightning connector would be overkill and possibly require licensing unnecessarily. That 2-pin connector looks vary similar to the one used by Sennheiser for decades, so it's I don't think reliability is a problem.

kdjohn3 said:
    I consider myself an audiophile. Sound quality is my #1 criterion when choosing headphones
    I don't consider myself an audiophile but still consider sound as my first criteria when buying most any audio gear for critical listening. I like the Denons because of the wood but went with AKGs because prefer the sound of open back cans. For IEMs I have Shure 530s. I don't take them out of the house because when the cables go, I'm getting the 535s or something similar. That might not be for years.

The small size, shape and fitment of the 530s, in addition to their sound, made them my first choice above anything else I've ever heard. Granted, audio is subjective. But if the iSines provided superior sound, their aesthetics wouldn't mean a thing to me.

People whined about the AirPods' looks when they were announced. For what they offer for non-critical listening, their looks don't bother me a bit. Now we have the Audieze kit and suddenly people think the APs look good in comparison. Go figure. I do regret not getting the PTH switch when it was available.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Mikeymike said:
    Hell. ANYBODY can make a "great sounding" pair of headphones, if "looks"  is no consideration. It's easy.

Well, obviously it was no problem for that guy. He just replaced his daily driver beer cans with speakers for a photo op. No matter how 'great sounding' that rig is, my money says the beer cans were back on seconds after this was taken.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Maybe they sound great and maybe the sound quality is worth paying considerable more for wireless in-ear phones and maybe they are durable, but they definitely huge and definitely appear to be designed and made by amateurs. From the images it looks like they were formed using a low-grade 3D printer and the seams and metal connectors feel like it's a home-grown project. Now, if that's the case, then that's an impressive feat for components bought from Radio Shack and built in a garage.
    randominternetpersonalexmac
  • Reply 38 of 45
    I have a pair and they are currently my favorite. They will not block out the noise around you- they are designed to be open back. Check out the FAQ at Audeze's website.
    https://www.audeze.com/products/isine-series/isine10-ear-headphone

The bass quite good for "in-ear" headphones- planar headphones are known for being able deliver decent bass. I also have a pair of Sines and I prefer the sound of the iSINE10s. With regards to the connector- it's not proprietary- it is the standard 2 pin connector that you'll see with IEMs that have replaceable cables. I also have a pair of Noble Savants with the same connector and tried switching it out. Not a great match obviously (though it did work). That connector is not designed for repeated use (most of the vendors that use it warn you about that).

So when I need isolation, I use the Savants or the Sines. When I am in a quiet location, the iSINEs are my headphones of choice (and as the reviewer noted, you have to be careful because they can get quite loud).
  • Reply 39 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe they intentionally designed them to look like plastic junk with a big ugly logo in the middle so that would-be muggers wouldn't realize they are $400.
    "Looks that repel thieves and muggers" could be their tag line.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 40 of 45
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    k2kw said:
    nhughes said:
    k2kw said:

Lightning would be overkill with 16 pins, when only two are needed. However, while these are standard audio cable connections for this purpose as noted by @pkwisconsin, I do appreciate your comment in that these are somewhat fragile. Any solution with tiny pins that can break off is inferior to a solution like Lightning which is a solid metal tab. That's why USB-C is physically inferior Lightning in my mind, with a plastic tab on the board side that could be broken off inside the connector. What's worse, is that since Apple does not yet seem to have a solution for a Lightning adapter, swapping the cables repeatedly seems to be the only way to move between devices, including iPhone to Mac.