How Google's lack of human curation spreads and monetizes fake news

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    DanielEranDanielEran Posts: 290editor

xixo said:
    a couple of centuries ago, they used to call it 'yellow journalism'. then, 'news'. now, 'fake news'.

one of these days, people will figure out that all news reporting has an agenda, and it is not altruistic.
    Fake news is not "biased reporting."

Fake news is fictional creation of dramatic stories that gain traction through social media. One issue is a lack of editorial oversight, the other issue is funding and monetizing lies and giving them credibility. One can argue that the idea of free speech should allow anyone to publish their ideas without censorship. However, funding lies and giving them credibility is a separate issue that deserves more than "people will sort out the truth themselves." Because the ignorance in America is flying off the rails and creating a failed state. We just elected an alt-reality TV star who is famous for being a liberal playboy conman to play a conservative president. That should throw up warning signs.  
  • Reply 42 of 51
    one that works to suppress votes
    Hmm…

And every time this party takes over, they spend $4T on illegal wars
    Oh! You mean the Democrats. Sorry, my mistake.
    Voter ID laws are one tool to suppress citizens' right to vote, but there are many others. Ask the KKK/AG Sessions. He built his career around voter segregation.

And yes I am aware that Conservatives voted against entering WWII. Many were infatuated with the Nazis, wanted to do business with them or join them in white supremacist fascism here. They still hate FDR, despise liberal democracy in America and pine for the Confederacy. Let's see what happens after they demonstrate their complete inability to govern for a couple years. The first month has been a real clusterfuck of incompetence.

Like I said, completely deluded. Jeff Sessions is twice the man you'll ever be. 

FDR was a terrible president, but at least he actually cared for America the idea. Progressives today only care for fulfilling their urges and 'holy sacraments' of child murder, etc. 
    xixo
  • Reply 43 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

xixo said:
    a couple of centuries ago, they used to call it 'yellow journalism'. then, 'news'. now, 'fake news'.

one of these days, people will figure out that all news reporting has an agenda, and it is not altruistic.
    Fake news is not "biased reporting."

Fake news is fictional creation of dramatic stories that gain traction through social media. One issue is a lack of editorial oversight, the other issue is funding and monetizing lies and giving them credibility. One can argue that the idea of free speech should allow anyone to publish their ideas without censorship. However, funding lies and giving them credibility is a separate issue that deserves more than "people will sort out the truth themselves." Because the ignorance in America is flying off the rails and creating a failed state. We just elected an alt-reality TV star who is famous for being a liberal playboy conman to play a conservative president. That should throw up warning signs.  
    What's that you say? "Fake news"?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html?_r=0

edited March 2017 thewhitefalcon
  • Reply 44 of 51
    KerryCassKerryCass Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    how bout the part where they are STEALING so many of these answers! I go to great length to get a lot of inside scoops , especially w/ regards to biological info that no one has. I do a lot of bio pages for lesser known celebs. Problem is the minute I get a scoop on someones background Google steals it and puts it under their one true answer with NO attribution! Its so infuriating. And I know for sure they took it from me because ea few times when I have spelled a name wrong, Google has the exact same spelling error.

I mean at least wikipedia offers citations. Google thinks once its on the web, they own it and can monetize it.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    KerryCassKerryCass Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    here are some really good examples of Googles answer box getting it wrong. There are some scary ones, like publishing the wrong phone number for an elementary school in their answer box and people calling and leaving sensitive info about their children on this persons answering machine. https://seocheaters4344.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/google-getting-flooded-with-complaints-about-mistakes-in-googles-knowledge-graph/
  • Reply 46 of 51
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Hmm…

Are you willing to help those that cannot get a recent government issued ID like the elderly? How about baby sitting for a divorced mother of 3 so she can apply for a passport? There was a time in this country when only land owners could vote, they also had to be male and white. Good times.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    xixo said:

It I wear my aluminum hat can I read the news then?
  • Reply 48 of 51
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    maestro64 said:

I too have been noticing google has been presenting outdated information at the top. Because of this I have been looking at the date of the publish information before I click on the link google presents. There has been a number of times when I searched for a piece of information which I knew to be updated and new and Google only showed the oldest information, I had to play with the search information to finally get google to show what I was specially looking for. I know most people can not be bother and they just look at the very first thing and take it all as fact.

Part of the issue is the fact google present possible search strings base on what others have searched on, when you use those search strings they present you, you get the wrong or outdated information. I believe those who want their information to be move to the top, most likely are running Bots on googles website which repeatedly search for the same types of information and Google captures the search strings and then presents it to others. This is the issue with the automatic systems (or AI systems) google comes up with, people figure out what they are doing then use their system against them.

People have to start thinking for themselves and not let google and facebook tell them what they should think.

At issue is the fact that Home recites off this garbage without context, or without showing alternative sources. If you recall, Home and Assistant are suppose to be showing off how incredible Google's artificial intelligence is and how far ahead of Apple the company's services are. 

To your point, I worked with some people who worked on a project/system back in the 80's which was one of the very first AI systems, as it was explain to me the system had redundancies and each system solve the problem differently and then would check each answer against each other, as long as the 4 systems all agree it used the answer, if 3 of the 4 found one to be different it through out that answer and if the system did that more than once the one with the error was then taken off line. I personally have always done this myself when I search the internet, I try to find more than one source coming to the same answer and hopefully they all are not going back to one source which is what we see lots of today.

People google stuff and take the first answer and assume it is the correct and only answer. People are just amazed they get an answer back, but do not check to see if it is the only answer or even if it is the right answer.

• Reply 49 of 51
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Hmm…

Voter ID laws are one tool to suppress citizens' right to vote, but there are many others. Ask the KKK/AG Sessions. He built his career around voter segregation.

And yes I am aware that Conservatives voted against entering WWII. Many were infatuated with the Nazis, wanted to do business with them or join them in white supremacist fascism here. They still hate FDR, despise liberal democracy in America and pine for the Confederacy. Let's see what happens after they demonstrate their complete inability to govern for a couple years. The first month has been a real clusterfuck of incompetence.

Like I said, completely deluded. Jeff Sessions is twice the man you'll ever be. 

FDR was a terrible president, but at least he actually cared for America the idea. Progressives today only care for fulfilling their urges and 'holy sacraments' of child murder, etc. 
    This is the second time you've mentioned this child murder thing. Are you fascinated with that for some reason? Do you really project this interest on "progressives"?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 50 of 51
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    georgie01 said:
    Not sure what the reasoning is behind the current concern over fake news. Fake news is nothing new. Any bias news report is fake news because it's misleading, and rarely is there an unbiased news report. News outlets don't even always know they're doing it because they're writing for a predetermined narrative or belief and using selective 'facts' or a specific perspective on facts to justify it.

The current concern over 'fake' news is probably more a concern over immature or blatant fake news, as if professional and respectable fake news is somehow better.

Wouldn't it be great if news outlets actually wrote genuinely unbiased news?
    Maybe we should have viewer-interactive real-time news ratings -- line those Frank Luntz graphics...

So the little "Feedback Meter" oscillates between "Love It" to "B.S.!"

Not sure Love it is valid since some B.S. people love, the Scale should be Fact or >B
  • Reply 51 of 51
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    k2kw said:
    I thought it was Facebook that elected Trump (not Google).    I guess its ok when the left attacks the media (but not when Trump does).

Yeah It's probably time to Close this thread down.   LOL.

We're talking Google or Facebook reporting things like Pizzagate as "news" here.
    Or whatever shit someone pulled out of their ass is tagged as news and then propagated because the title is perfect level of clickbait.
    Google makes more money from that crap propagated in the echo chamber than actual facts; so, of course they'll do nothing about it.  It's capitalism after all.

Another "news" (sic) gem is something like Conway's god damn "Bowling Green massacre" (sic) she repeated 3 times on 3 different shows...
    Or Trump who pulled out of his ass that "Obama was spying on him", something Spicer said he didn't get from any agency! (By the timing of the tweets, It obviously came from Breitbart, you know the place Bannon comes from...).
    All these things are declared to be "alternate facts"!! (no kidding!)... By the likes of Conway....
    Using those social media platform's willingness to spread anything for money to create an alternate reality.

Inventing something, putting a clickbait title on it and then posting it everywhere to make money (or propaganda) is not news or media.
    Referencing the news cycle you yourself created by spreading lies as a means of supporting the relevancy of those same lies is what we're talking about; the "some people are saying" (sic) leitmotiv

The Alt-right has exploited the greed loophole created by the 24h media cycle and falling margins to lasso the media and social media to spread untrustworthy info.

The GOP has initiated the big lie technique, the current alt-right has merely instrumented the social media to better spread it.

Usually, the less sourcing you have, the more you need to trust the media itself. But, in this day and age, this kind checks have been blasted away/
    A two bit site seemingly can spread their instant "facts" just as efficiently as the BBC if they use the proper channels and clickbait titles with the proper keywords.
    If we multiply this by the thousands, actual researched facts get buried in the din.
    Actual investigative journalism gets lost in a sea of unsourced contradicting information
    The low information user, who gets their info casually through informal channels, or from friends, will either never see it unless he seeks it out.

BTW, Trump calls anything who disagrees with him "fake news".
    That's the fact of the matter.
    That's why he's at war with many respected media institutions like the NYT, the Post or even the BBC,

So, you can cut the crap about "liberal media", those same ones who gave 4B dollars in media presence prior to the election which enabled
    Trump to make up all the deficit in paid advertisement and then some on Clinton.
    The media (and Facebook and Google) is all about money and getting Trump's freak show on the TV or propagating his crap on social media is a purely ethically bankrupt capitalist endeavor.
    The dems actually thought the media had a shred of decency, but they mostly don't (with a few exception in the print area) but they were wrong.
    That's what makes your whole spiel absurd, there are no "liberal media" in the US (except small outlets).

Anyway, go back to infowars or zerohedge, Breitbart or Lizette or if you only want just 50% crap, Fox noise..
    Seems like were you came from anyway.