Concept imagines Apple's 'iPhone 8' with Siri-based augmented reality

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    tht said:
    sog35 said:
    The top/bottom is not symetrical. No way Apple makes something like that
    Yeah. Quite disappointing that all these mockups show asymmetry, and many from purported students of design.

How many years of symmetric iPhones has there been? Well, 10 years of iPhone, but left-right symmetry in landscape oriented Apple devices go back decades. For reasons, some PC laptop makers center the trackpad along the space bar, resulting in the trackpad not being centered on the laptop palm rests. And not to mention all those "workstation" laptops with numpad monstrosities. All Apple laptops have keyboards and trackpads that are left-right centered about the laptop. Every single iOS device in existence has left-right and top-bottom symmetry with the display. Every single one.

Yet, what, 90% of the mockups don't have the display centered. WTF? The only way the display won't have top-bottom symmetry is if the device is only to be used in portrait orientation. Not going to happen.
    What are you talking about? There's symmetry. Are you referring to the chin in the FB app mockup? The rest of the mockups show a lit display from top to bottom—hence, symmetry. Remember, the chin, which is rumored to be a functional bar is a display. There's no chin nor forehead. 
    None of the concept images show a top-bottom symmetric device. Ie, the display is centered. Look at this one:

It clearly shows there's a display-less margin at the top for the speaker and front cam while the display goes all the way to the bottom edge.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    thttht Posts: 5,441member

holyone said:
    Question is a display like this even possible ? Sammy's wraps around the sides, this covers both side to side and top to bottom edges like a lid that's screen everywhere, how does that work
    Sharp was halfway there a few years ago. Sharp Aquos Crystal 2:

Sharp added rounded corners to their display tech, available for OEMs late last year:

Xiaomi added rounded corners to this type of design this year. Xiaomi Mi Mix:

Not sure if Xiaomi is using Sharp displays. You still need to have some margin, apparently, on at least one side. The electrical wiring and display driver chip usually stick out on a side of the display. Also, with this sort of design, the phone maker has to use a different earpiece speaker technology. Sharp used bone conduction. Xiaomi used piezoelectric driver that used the phone casing to make sounds. Sounds like a type of bone conduction to me, but not entirely sure.

I don't think Apple (Jony Ive) would do this type of thing, even if you could have the display extend all the way to the bottom. There will be some margin to frame the display. And it won't be small like what you see in these. But wait and see. We'll have a big piece of data when this 10.5" iPad comes out in about a month.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 29
    tht said:
    tht said:
    sog35 said:
    The top/bottom is not symetrical. No way Apple makes something like that
    Yeah. Quite disappointing that all these mockups show asymmetry, and many from purported students of design.

How many years of symmetric iPhones has there been? Well, 10 years of iPhone, but left-right symmetry in landscape oriented Apple devices go back decades. For reasons, some PC laptop makers center the trackpad along the space bar, resulting in the trackpad not being centered on the laptop palm rests. And not to mention all those "workstation" laptops with numpad monstrosities. All Apple laptops have keyboards and trackpads that are left-right centered about the laptop. Every single iOS device in existence has left-right and top-bottom symmetry with the display. Every single one.

Yet, what, 90% of the mockups don't have the display centered. WTF? The only way the display won't have top-bottom symmetry is if the device is only to be used in portrait orientation. Not going to happen.
    What are you talking about? There's symmetry. Are you referring to the chin in the FB app mockup? The rest of the mockups show a lit display from top to bottom—hence, symmetry. Remember, the chin, which is rumored to be a functional bar is a display. There's no chin nor forehead. 
    None of the concept images show a top-bottom symmetric device. Ie, the display is centered. Look at this one:

It clearly shows there's a display-less margin at the top for the speaker and front cam while the display goes all the way to the bottom edge.
    I did initially see that top status bar w/out a display as well, seemed hardly noticeable, but the more I look at it, although very small, the more it sticks out as asymmetrical. Especially since the artist uses a black gradient to conceal the forehead, which makes it more noticeable. Your concern is very much valid. I doubt Apple would commit to this kind of design asymmetry. Plus, we've read on AI that Apple has patents to conceal the front-facing camera behind the display. Apple also has patients covering piezoelectric speakers, which could turn the display or other full-length substrate into a driver diaphragm. What's strange about these mockups is that the app grid on the home screen is filled from the bottom up. iOS currently works exactly the opposite. Why would there be so much empty space on the home screen? Weird. Tho I think these mockups are the best visualization of recent rumors thus far. Where else have we seen a better implementation of rumored virtual Touch I.D.?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 24 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Cost more than $1,000 due to greed, Schiller, Cook and Wall St. PLC-dynamics. Not advanced technology.

The two most important lessons Apple has taught me is how important design and restraint are and how I'll never take a company public, given the opportunity.
    edited March 2017 SpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 29
    The way I think the Augmented Reality functionality will work is to have facial tracking capability on the front of the device. This will allow the machine to display a "seamless" version of reality on the screen (actually the bezel will be the "seam", that is why they are reducing it as much as possible) as it can work out exactly where the viewer's eyes are all the time.

Therefore the first three images from the article are wrong if they are meant to represent what is being seen by the guy using the iPhone. I think the iPhone in these images would be more or less invisible ... you can only see the bezel. Of course an "invisible" iPhone is not much use. But quite simple to superimpose ... text, for example ... on the screen. This would enable people to check their iMessages while walking for example ... obviously not the main point of this functionality, just an unintended consequency (which I don't approve of 100% ... by the way). 

A more difficult thing to do would be to have text on the screen giving information about some building/car/breakfast-serial/person visible on the screen. This would be full Augmented Reality. It would have similar possibilities to Google Glass. Only the part of your field of view covered by the screen will be available for AR though. Other people will not be freaked out* by it as they were by Google Glass.

* Though maybe if you held up your AR iPhone or AR iPad so they could not see your eyes they will start to get freaked out ... imagining that you are getting data on them or taking their photograph.

This new functionality will easily justify a price point above 1,000 USD.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    The mockups are eye candy, but meaningless.
    I'll continue to read Ming-Chi Kuo's predictions and then wait for the September launch to see the real McCoy.

• Reply 27 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    thompr said:
    bdkennedy said:
    Siri couldn't get me to my local animal shelter last week and kept me running around in circles...
    Are you a doggy?
    LOL, you beat me to it, I was going say perhaps Siri couldn't understand his bark.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Every time Tim talks about augmented reality and its potential for Apple I think of Snapchat's already highly if comical implementation.  The accuracy in masking and tracking is impressive to say the least having done some of that in video editing suites with all that entails in Motion and its predecessors.  I was half expecting Apple to buy Snapchat not for making funny faces but to put the team's obvious skills to work in overlays for serious AR application use.