Developer alleges spotting new Apple TV model, unannounced 'tvOS 11' in use logs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Soli said:
    Apple didn't put 4K in the TV 4 so that was the right decision around here. TV 5 most likely will have 4K and that will be supported here. Basically anything Apple does is the right decision and shouldn't be criticized.
    There is no right or wrong. I wish that 4K had come with the 4th gen Apple TV, along with HEVC support in the Apple TV, iTunes, their OSes with A-series chips with HW acceleration, and 4K/HEVC content on the iTunes Store years ago but my desire—your desire— doesn't make their decision wrong.
    Good points. And two years ago the HEVC licensing was a quagmire, HDR was just out, and getting the "solution" level details for all of that together takes time. As has been outlined on this forum many times, getting a complete solution in place with a clear improvement in UX, rather than just point features, takes longer but it is how Apple has always approached the market. Apple was "late" with Apple Pay compared with Google Wallet,  but which one was a better experience and now the market leader?  Same with Apple Watch, iPhone, etc. 

Ignore Rogifan, who seems to believe that any opinion that Apple is executing well is a sign of rabid fanboyism. Only negative criticism is valid in that person's world view. 
    Soli
  • Reply 42 of 45
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    karmadave said:
    Honestly, how can Apple be so far behind the 8-ball when it comes to television streaming devices and services? Sony offers cable-tv-like programming, with PlayStation Vue, but Apple can't? Amazon and Netflix are kicking their ass, in original content, and Roku introduced a 4K streaming device back in Oct. 2015. Does anyone know what Apple's strategy is?
    Why should Apple offer a "me too" service when there are now a number available, many of which have apps on Apple TV?  And if subscribing through App Store, Apple does get a revenue stream. 

Better to focus on the platform until the market (e.g. content industry) is ready for something more disruptive. 
  • Reply 43 of 45
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

It really was unacceptable that ATV4 did not have 4k.
    Complete nonsense. 15 months ago even fewer people cared about 4k than they do today. The mass market consumer is still happy w/ 1080p (anecdotally, I'm an enterprise developer and I have no plans to replace my 1080p plasma any time soon, especially with a crummier LCD tv). iTunes doesn't even offer any 4k content and nobody is crying about it, they certainly weren't 15 months ago.

Will the new ATV offer it? Very likely. But that doesn't mean Apple needed to be engaged in the spec wars at its earliest opportunity. Ain't how Apple rolls, bubba. You should know that, but not knowing it is why you're a poor investor.
    Jesus Christ. Are you really this dense?

No 4k content?  How about those friken 4k videos you've been filming on you iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 the past 2 years? Or even damn photos that have a higher resolution than 1080p?
    We don't wait around for every screen and every set top in the world to get around to 4k FIRST before we start shooting in 4k. No, we start shooting in 4k as soon as it is possible to do so, for the sake of the CONTENT for the future.

90% of people still have 1080p TVs, no one is rushing out to buy 4k. Very little need for it at all in the living room. It is a long slow eventuality that no one anywhere is in any hurry to make prevalent.
    You are dead wrong about 4K. 4K adoption rate is way higher than HDTV. The 4K growth rate in 2016 was 105% higher than 2015. At the current adoption rate, more than 50% of homes in the USA will have a 4K TV by 2019. We are currently at around 20% of homes that have a 4K TV. 
    sog35 said:
    Friken finally.

I got a 4k tv last year and are dying to run 4k media on it. 

It really was unacceptable that ATV4 did not have 4k.
    Do you even hear yourself? Unacceptable? It didn't have 4k because there is no 4k content to play on it. Just like without it, there is no 4k content to play on your 4k TV.

The TV industry was about 3 years too early with 4K TVs, but when 3D fell flat on its face, they needed something quick to remain relevant.
    There is a ton of 4K content to play on your TV. The 4K blu ray collection is growing very fast. Amazon, YouTube, Vudu, DirecTV, Hulu, Netflix, plus others all have 4K content. 
    Found the one guy with a 4K TV.

You can't pin success on 4K adoption rate....anyone BUYING a television is getting a 4K TV. That's what is currently offered, not what people are choosing. Same thing happened with 1080p. It just comes that way now.

That doesn't mean anyone buying them is taking them home and watching 4K content. No, the majority of them are taking them home and watching variable quality (NOT 4K) delivered from a cable box. A smaller percentage are watching variable content (NOT 4K) through a streaming box. A tiny percentage are watching SOME (not all) 4K content from streaming box alongside regular HD content and other variable quality.
  • Reply 44 of 45

Apple didn't put 4K in the TV 4 so that was the right decision around here. TV 5 most likely will have 4K and that will be supported here. Basically anything Apple does is the right decision and shouldn't be criticized.
    If Apple puts 4K in the Apple TV 5, and it is released within the next 12 months, it will be accompanied by the release of 4K content, i.e. the entire iTunes Store, and probably some other services that they are working with.

They aren't just going to release it and say HEY its 4K, while none of the content providers have anything to offer. Which is precisely what every other company would do.