Apple investigating accessory that turns iPhone, iPad into full-fledged touchscreen laptop...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    grangerfx said:
    Here is an idea: Why doesn't Apple just build touchscreens into their computers?
    Said by someone without a clue and has never tried a touchscreen computer.
    reaching all the time and having finger prints on your desktop is a pain.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 70
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Very cool. I like it way better than accessory keyboards. seems more real-world practical than a floppy separate keyboard.
    And of course newer iPhones and iPads will not have home button and huge bezels and be far more aesthetically pleasing than that drawing. 
    We'll likely see the accessory docking pins we saw on earlier leaks coming soon to the newer iphones.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I always wondered about the logic of purchasing and then lugging around 2 separate computer systems that do essentially the same functions and the only real difference being screen size?
    ...   Carrying an Apple Watch and an IPhone -- that's ok and it's not what I'm talking about.

But carrying an IPhone and an IPad and a MacBook are just totally, absolutely redundant. Almost a crazy kind of stupid.  They each are supporting:  systems board, batteries, memory and processors that are each capable of doing what the other formfactor is doing.   The only real difference is screen size and external keyboard & touchpad.  

So, OK!  Let's Do This!  It's time to leave the 20th century!

But, there is another, more important reason:  Apple is getting killed by the Chromebook.   Parents, schools and kids simply don't want to shell out $2,000 when $200 gives them what they need.   But, they all carry IPhones.   By plugging them into a light, thin, dumb terminal that supplies a large screen and professional quality keyboard you have everything you need at less than the cost of a Chromebook -- and Apple preserves its youth market.

First of all, Apple is not getting killed by the Chromebook. Apple is losing some iPad sales to Chromebooks in education. Chromebooks by and large have failed just as miserably as netbooks did (Apple sells more iPads then all other's chromebook sales combined and many companies have stopped selling them except to education). They have found a niche in K-6 classrooms, because they're cheap and fairly indestructible compared to a tablet. Outside of that, Some people might consider getting one instead of a cheap Windows computer.

Second, why would anyone carry all those things with them? It's not about having everything with you all the time, it's about having the right device when you need it.

I have an iPhone SE, a 9.7" iPad Pro, and a 27" iMac. The iMac stays where it sits 24/7. The iPad moves with me around the house; couch, porch, kitchen, bathroom, etc. and sometimes I take it with me when I leave the house (when I need something more than an my iPhone). The iPhone sits on the table by the door and goes with me whenever I leave, but I rarely use it at home, except to occasional (rarely) make or answer a phone call, because I can also do that from my iPad and iMac.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 70
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    grangerfx said:
    Here is an idea: Why doesn't Apple just build touchscreens into their computers?
    Well, they do. Heard of an iPhone/iPad/iPod? If you mean into their Macs, I can't really see a good use case for this. Personally wouldn't want it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 70
    apple2capple2c Posts: 38member
    Read the article.  One question.

Why?!
  • Reply 26 of 70

Ya know...

Apple can kludge together the hardware, OS and app software to satisfy almost any set of needs...

The graphic artist's needs may be satisfied with the iPad Pro/Pencil/Touch.

The power user's needs may be satisfied by the kb, mouse and on-screen cursor.

The UI is different for each set of needs -- but neither UI really satisfies all the needs of either type of user!

What about the user who wears both hats -- artistic and power user at the same time?

Here's an example:

SketchUp is a 3D CAD/Design/Drawing App for the Mac -- that can be used to design almost anything.

Below is a relatively simple kitchen island we're building for my daughter from weathered fence boards

Manipulation of the 3D elements is mostly done with a 3-button mouse.

On the right is a menu of 38 different modes/functions.  There are others, but these are the most commonly used. Most of these items have kb shortcuts.

A very common sequence would be:

1. Key r for rectangle on the kb
    2. Mouse Move the cursor to the starting point
    3. Mouse Click to define the starting point
    4. Mouse Move along an axis to define one side of the rectangle
    5. Mouse Move along a perpendicular axis to define a second side of the rectangle -- the opposite sides are displayed automatically
    6. Mouse Click to define the approximate rectangle
    7. Key number comma number to define the actual rectangle dimensions -- 5.5,60 for a 5 1/2 inch by 60 inch rectangle
    8. Mouse Move to the surface of the rectangle
    9. Mouse Triple-Click the surface to select it and all the edges of the rectangle
    10. Key g (or mouse right-click/menu-select to indicate you want to define a component
    11. Key the component name if desired -- Sample Board
    12. Key enter to create the component
    13. Key p to select the push/pull function
    14. Mouse Cick on the surface of the rectangle
    15. Mouse Drag up to define an approximate thickness
    16. Key number enter to define the actual thickness -- 3/4 for a typical fence board

Whew!  It takes a lot longer to describe it than to actually do it -- but these are the steps a power user would use to define a component as a basic building bock.

Let's consider the above for a moment -- the power user approach isn't really all that efficient.  While one  hand can rest on the kb (ready to key shortcuts), the other hand is on the mouse selecting and manipulating elements of the drawing...  He could use the menu to select modes/functions instead  of using kb shortcuts -- but he'd have to move the mouse to the menu, click to select the function, move the mouse back to the drawing element, then click to reselect the element... Also, when he has to enter data (names, measurements, etc.) -- he, likely, moves the mouse -hand to the kb, too.  Notice in the above sequence the power user keyed:

r 5.5 , 60 g Sample Board enter p 3/4.

The r g p shortcuts require the power user to move his mouse-hand to the kb -- or look at the kb, move his kb-hand to the other side of the kb, then move it back.

...the power user approach UI isn't really all that efficient.

Most power apps such as Pixelmator, FCP, Logic, Xcode, etc. -- have variations of kb shortcuts and menu bars/windows...

My point is that the UI is the culprit!

...even when it disappears as on the iPad.

...even when there are shortcuts to assist the power user.

Some interesting questions come to mind:

• Would a laptop with a touch screen be an improvement?
    • Would an iPad with a kb, touchpad and cursor be an improvement?
    • Would an iPad and a laptop be an improvement?
    • What about the Pencil?
    • Do we need something else?

edited March 2017
  • Reply 27 of 70
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    adm1 said:
    motorola actually released something similar (netbook powered by docked phone) in 2011 which bombed as usual:

Ah yes.  This would be the ill-fated laptop dock and "webtop" desktop environment.  A great concept, but it ultimately died because an Atrix phone is really not powerful enough to run non-mobile apps.  But I think the concept could definitely work today, since laptop/desktop computers are not advancing that rapidly these days and mobile devices are.

But I would think that this would comprise prior art and invalidate Apple's patent application.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I always wondered about the logic of purchasing and then lugging around 2 separate computer systems that do essentially the same functions and the only real difference being screen size?
    ...   Carrying an Apple Watch and an IPhone -- that's ok and it's not what I'm talking about.

But carrying an IPhone and an IPad and a MacBook are just totally, absolutely redundant. Almost a crazy kind of stupid.  They each are supporting:  systems board, batteries, memory and processors that are each capable of doing what the other formfactor is doing.   The only real difference is screen size and external keyboard & touchpad.  

But, there is another, more important reason:  Apple is getting killed by the Chromebook.   Parents, schools and kids simply don't want to shell out $2,000 when $200 gives them what they need.   But, they all carry IPhones.   By plugging them into a light, thin, dumb terminal that supplies a large screen and professional quality keyboard you have everything you need at less than the cost of a Chromebook -- and Apple preserves its youth market.
    Apple just had their all time best quarter (revenue wise) for the Mac.  Only slightly below highest volume.  Apple is not getting killed by Chromebook.

Apple just released a new iPad model which has education pricing of $299 (and I am sure bulk volumes are somewhat lower).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 70
    wwchriswwchris Posts: 60member
    Man, I just wish Apple would add mouse support for iOS. At that point, I might actually use my iPad for content creation. The ability to insert a cursor or select a block of text in iOS is painful and too slow. Copying and pasting is still a pain and often results in deselecting the selected text. Also, if I have a misspelled word, half the time I have to navigate to a second submenu to select the correct spelling. If the word is underlined red and I select it, wouldn't my most obvious action be to correct it rather than copy, cut, paste or Other...?
    edited March 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 70
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    wwchris said:
    Man, I just wish Apple would add mouse support for iOS. At that point, I might actually use my iPad for content creation.
    If you require a keyboard and mouse, what is the advantage of an iPad over a similar-sized laptop (MacBook or MacBook Air)?  Are there specialized iOS apps you need that don't have Mac equivalents?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 70
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    grangerfx said:
    Now here's an idea:-  Why doesn't Apple just build 3G/4G/5G modems into their computers?

I wonder which would be more popular?

Apple should do both 
  • Reply 32 of 70
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    macxpress said:
    grangerfx said:
    Because touchscreen laptops are useless in the end. Its something people think is cool and in the end they use it once and don't use it anymore. Who the hell wants to reach across the keyboard and mouse and touch the screen all the time?
    My kids use touchscreen laptops all the time and think its stupid to not have it when they switch back to the mac.  It makes more sense on a laptop than on a iMac because the distances are much smaller.

/shrug

It's what you are used to.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 33 of 70
    AssgoblinAssgoblin Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Well we know what Samsung will be starting work on
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 70
    nikolinikoli Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    shamino said:
    wwchris said:
    Man, I just wish Apple would add mouse support for iOS. At that point, I might actually use my iPad for content creation.
    If you require a keyboard and mouse, what is the advantage of an iPad over a similar-sized laptop (MacBook or MacBook Air)?  Are there specialized iOS apps you need that don't have Mac equivalents?
    ...and this is why non-Apple people hate Apple people.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    nikolinikoli Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    MacPro said:
    What's pretty obviously a snag with the plop in design concept is that iPhones vary in size and can change each year.
    This really is where the discussion begins and ends lol.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    For Pete's sake it is PHONE. Growing processing power does not mean it could or should be morphing in something else. There are distinct functions. For example pro editor will not use shi#y ammateur applications for iPad or iPhone for work. For that you need large monitor and many tools on screen at the same time as well detail comparisons. Many claim it could. Well if you ever worked in this business you would know, but obviously you navere have.
    I agree with some post here: just add touch screen and modem to regular computer and drop the rest of idea as it is simply dumb (and I do not care who comes up with it on wave of fashion: Apple, Microsoft, Motorola or any other large corporation looking for profit from gizmos)
    Ok,   So let me get this straight:   If it doesn't do everything an I7 MBP would do -- and do it perfectly -- right off the bat -- then it's no good for anything at all.   Is that right?  really?
  • Reply 37 of 70
    mjtomlin said:

First of all, Apple is not getting killed by the Chromebook. Apple is losing some iPad sales to Chromebooks in education. Chromebooks by and large have failed just as miserably as netbooks did (Apple sells more iPads then all other's chromebook sales combined and many companies have stopped selling them except to education). They have found a niche in K-6 classrooms, because they're cheap and fairly indestructible compared to a tablet. Outside of that, Some people might consider getting one instead of a cheap Windows computer.

Second, why would anyone carry all those things with them? It's not about having everything with you all the time, it's about having the right device when you need it.

I have an iPhone SE, a 9.7" iPad Pro, and a 27" iMac. The iMac stays where it sits 24/7. The iPad moves with me around the house; couch, porch, kitchen, bathroom, etc. and sometimes I take it with me when I leave the house (when I need something more than an my iPhone). The iPhone sits on the table by the door and goes with me whenever I leave, but I rarely use it at home, except to occasional (rarely) make or answer a phone call, because I can also do that from my iPad and iMac.
    No, they're getting killed.
    My grandson won't even consider using anything but a Chromebook of his Mom's touchscreen HP Windows 10 machine for his homework. 
    Just as McDonald's works to indoctrinate kids to the culture of their food, Google is doing the same.   It could develop into a fatal wound for Apple.

For the rest:  I hope you have a strong back and a big backpack lugging all that around with you -- and a lot of extra money to pay for the redundant processing power...
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Funny - I had emailed Steve Jobs with this idea back in May of 2011:

edited March 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 39 of 70
    wwchris said:
    Man, I just wish Apple would add mouse support for iOS. At that point, I might actually use my iPad for content creation. The ability to insert a cursor or select a block of text in iOS is painful and too slow. Copying and pasting is still a pain and often results in deselecting the selected text. Also, if I have a misspelled word, half the time I have to navigate to a second submenu to select the correct spelling. If the word is underlined red and I select it, wouldn't my most obvious action be to correct it rather than copy, cut, paste or Other...?
    The MacBook bigots say that the cursor is THEIRS and YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!   EVER!
  • Reply 40 of 70
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Apple is getting killed by the Chromebook.   Parents, schools and kids simply don't want to shell out $2,000 when $200 gives them what they need.   But, they all carry IPhones.   By plugging them into a light, thin, dumb terminal that supplies a large screen and professional quality keyboard you have everything you need at less than the cost of a Chromebook -- and Apple preserves its youth market.
    Define "killed"? just had a record Mac quarter. 
    watto_cobra