iOS 10.3 now available for iPhone, iPad with Find My AirPods, Apple File System, more

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2017
After seven beta releases, Apple has released iOS 10.3 with Find My AirPods, APFS implementation, and other improvements for developers and the App Store.

The release of iOS 10.3 includes the Find My AirPods feature, and a new reviews API which limits how often an app can ask users to submit ratings on the App Store.

Additionally, the update to iOS 10.3 migrates the device to Apple's HFS+, HFSX, and iOS file system replacement APFS. The new file system is built for future expansion, and jumps to a 64-bit inode number allowing the OS to track more than 9 quintillion files on a disk, adds support for Sparse files, builds in support for extended file attributes, and implements support for full disk and individual file encryption across all of Apple's platforms using multiple keys for user data.

AppleInsider recommends performing a full, encrypted backup prior to updating to iOS 10.3.

With the iOS 10.3 update, Verizon customers also have iCloud-connected device calling added.

As reported with the beta, the 32-bit warning dialog box has changed, alerting users that an upcoming version of iOS will drop support for 32-bit apps entirely. Apple has not made clear what version that is, but iOS 11 expected at the 2017 WWDC is the likeliest candidate for the excision of the compatibility.

Code discovered within iOS 10.3 beta 7 shows tools that will allow developers to run their apps at variable framerates. The change suggests that Apple could introduce new devices with screen refresh rates higher than 60Hz, possibly paving the way for more fluid Apple Pencil response.

It is not yet clear if the variable framerate code has been retained in the release version of iOS 10.3.

The update can be performed "over the air" through the software update feature on compatible iOS devices. Alternatively, it can be downloaded in iTunes, and installed to a connected device.
HBW1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    macOS 10.12.4 is out too, and tvOS 10.2 update as well. Plus Pages 6.1, Numbers 4.1, Keynote 7.1, and Xcode 8.3.
    edited March 2017 albegarc
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Find My AirPods is a great idea in theory...but it is so limited in its ability to locate them that I can't imagine it will ever help. In the several weeks that I've been running 10.3, I've had at least 3 legitimate occasions where I was trying to find an AirPod, and FMA failed to be of any use.

For reference:

1. It can't find them if they are in the case, so if you misplace the case you're SOL.

2. It can't find them if they are not connected to the device. Seems obvious but...since the AirPods disconnect from the device automatically when you take them out of your ears, this is guaranteed to be the case every time. You need to connect them first, and hope they connect. In my experience, if they are not in the immediate vicinity (within 3-4 feet) and not plainly exposed (not hidden under blankets) they aren't likely to connect.

3. Obviously, it can't find them if the battery dies. Not complaining, but another reality about AirPods is that the battery is draining if they are not in the case, and won't last terribly long. Just another scenario where a misplaced AirPods is likely not going to be findable.
    zoetmbzroger73jeffharrischarlesgresargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Metriacanthosaurus said:

2. It can't find them if they are not connected to the device. Seems obvious but...since the AirPods disconnect from the device automatically when you take them out of your ears, this is guaranteed to be the case every time.
    Not really. When you take them out of your ear, they don't disconnect, just pause the source. They don't disconnect until they are put in the case or manually switched off on the device.
    RacerhomieX
  • Reply 4 of 13
    anderworxanderworx Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    FYI, the ping sound gets progressively louder until it's loud enough for you to hear and find them.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    If I don't own AirPods or use Siri to pay for things, is there any compelling reason to update iOS? Any reason NOT to?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    If I don't own AirPods or use Siri to pay for things, is there any compelling reason to update iOS? Any reason NOT to?
    The update installs a new file system, so it would be prudent to wait a week or two in case there are any unexpected problems.
    StevenSterkbeowulfschmidtargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 13
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    As for compelling reasons to update, security fixes are a big one. Pretty much every iOS update includes some, and they often resolve significant issues.
    Mikeymikebonobob
  • Reply 8 of 13
    reachability on the home screen in ios 10.3 pulls apps on top of the dock rather than beneath it compared to the previous version. not sure which is better visually though i understand this new version is better as it doesn't inadvertently hide the bottom apps anymore. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mr squid said:
    The update installs a new file system, so it would be prudent to wait a week or two in case there are any unexpected problems.

+1.

Even the Safari looping popup security fix isn't compelling for me, as it's pretty easy, if a bit tedious, to counteract.  I've had far fewer problems with Apple updates than I have had with most other software companies, so I'm not really worried, but a new file system is a moderately big deal, so I'm just going to be prudent for the moment.

• Reply 10 of 13
    em_teem_te Posts: 41member
    Anyone know if the Find My AirPod feature uses crowd-sourcing for the GPS? i.e., Any random person with an iPhone walking by a disconnected AirPod, will push the person's current location to Apple servers so that the owner of the AirPod can get the AirPod's recent location?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Is there any word if APFS was put on watchOS, tvOS, and touchbarOS with this update, too, or just iOS?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    10.3 has problems...in windows