Apple releases macOS 10.12.4, watchOS 3.2 & tvOS 10.2 updates

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    But, I'm itching to order an Upgraded iPad Pro, Upgraded Pencil, Upgraded kb/case with and Updated iOS (un-handcuffed) for iPad Power Users.

Sigh... some of that may have to wait for WWDC.
    If it's just iPad content, I don't see why it wouldn't all happen at once. It's spring, so we may get the iOS 11 preview at the iPad event (if there's actually an event). What's handcuffing iOS in your mind, Dick? I'd love to see them try out a UI that breaks away from the home screen aesthetic, even just as an option for users. Maybe some way of intuitively giving menus and options within apps themselves.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 22 of 34
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Nobody mentioned that these new updates add Cricket scores to Siri. At last, something I might get around to using Siri for. (Probably not. I never seem to think of using Siri at all.)
    baconstang
  • Reply 23 of 34
    anome said:
    (Probably not. I never seem to think of using Siri at all.)
    Good thing she’s not like Cortana (Halo video game series version); clingy girlfriend-esque who goes bat-shit insane.

*bing-bing* “User? I know you’re there. I heard you talking to yourself. Why be alone, user? I’m here. I can check some sports scores for you. Would you like that?! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW IF THE CLIPPERS WON LAST NIGHT?!”
  • Reply 24 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    anome said:
    Nobody mentioned that these new updates add Cricket scores to Siri. At last, something I might get around to using Siri for. (Probably not. I never seem to think of using Siri at all.)
    On the other end of the spectrum I have a couple of friends that use Siri constantly. They seem to love it.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    lkrupp said:
    anome said:
    On the other end of the spectrum I have a couple of friends that use Siri constantly. They seem to love it.

And now they can check on the score in the 4th Test in India.

Although, if I'm honest, I'm not sure I want to. It's not going well.

[EDIT to add] I didn't mean for my original message to slight Siri in anyway. It seems to work pretty well when I have tried it. I'm just not in the habit of using voice commands.

edited March 2017
  • Reply 26 of 34
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    Night Shift is junk. They don't support on Mac Pros with multiple monitors such as a 2012 Mac Pro with a new AMD card. Sad.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Night Shift is only available for late 2012 Macs and later ...
  • Reply 28 of 34
    It seems my watch is stuck on 3.1.3. I keep checking for an update on my phone, but it just won't find one available. Yes, I even tried placing it on the charger... no change. And, yes, I updated my iPhone first. Grrr. I was really hoping this release would finally fix the battery drain issues with the first generation Apple Watch. 
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 29 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    wood1208 said:
    One feature I would appreciate in iPhone 8/X and IOS11 is turning screen off by double tapping on some part of newly anticipated functional area at bottom of screen. This way, I don't have to use power switch or wait for the screen off timer to turn-off screen. Current version of iphones or IOS don't have such mechanism.
    What is the value add of not having to use the side power button to sleep the display?
  • Reply 30 of 34
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    It appears tvOS 10.2 kills 3rd party Airplay streaming apps, such as the (Mac) Beamer app I have used a lot to stream movies in about any format to the Apple TV.

Apple did that by forcing device verification in Airplay settings, and it seems device verification is only available to not too old Apple devices, but apparently not to 3rd party apps.

I really hope I am wrong there and it is just a matter of developer updating their apps but I am not holding my breath.

This is clearly functionality reduction in a point update, and was not in any way announced in the release notes.
    I gave away my 2 old 3rd generation Apple TVs and it seems I am going to buy a new old Apple TV.
    Or a Chromecast ultra.
    But I'd really like to avoid that.

This change does not even make sense from a security standpoint : requiring validation from devices which are not on the same network would bring about the same benefits, without killing functionality.

I am quite unhappy about Apple on this one.
    edited March 2017 retrogusto
  • Reply 31 of 34
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    jeromec said:
    It appears tvOS 10.2 kills 3rd party Airplay streaming apps, such as the (Mac) Beamer app I have used a lot to stream movies in about any format to the Apple TV.

Apple did that by forcing device verification in Airplay settings, and it seems device verification is only available to not too old Apple devices, but apparently not to 3rd party apps.

I really hope I am wrong there and it is just a matter of developer updating their apps but I am not holding my breath.

This is clearly functionality reduction in a point update, and was not in any way announced in the release notes.
    I gave away my 2 old 3rd generation Apple TVs and it seems I am going to buy a new old Apple TV.
    Or a Chromecast ultra.
    But I'd really like to avoid that.

This change does not even make sense from a security standpoint : requiring validation from devices which are not on the same network would bring about the same benefits, without killing functionality.

I am quite unhappy about Apple on this one.
    It looks like Beamer has no immediate plans to update their app--they recommend reverting to the previous OS and disabling automatic updates:

http://support.beamer-app.com/troubleshooting/226296-beamer-will-not-connect-to-tvos-10-2?_ga=1.34477153.1174264747.1490722524

• Reply 32 of 34
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    It looks like Beamer has no immediate plans to update their app--they recommend reverting to the previous OS and disabling automatic updates:

Yes.
    What Beamer recommends is just not an option for me.

My favorite Apple TV "feature" is not having to manage it, which is part of its simplicity.
    Therefore, as much as I hate losing some very useful feature, I am not sticking to an older tvOS version and disabling automatic updates.

And I am sure Beamer (and others) will update their websites soon, whether with plans for a fix or the acknowledgement of the incompatibility with 4th gen Apple TV. 
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Weird; since updating to 10.12.4, the appearance of my OS X hard drive is broken when booted into Windows. OS X doesn’t change the disk formatting to APFS, so I’m not sure why my files and folders would appear as broken files in Windows... Oh, and eventually we’ll need new Boot Camp drivers to give Windows APFS read support.