Samsung Galaxy S8 fires first salvo against Apple's 'iPhone 8' with 'Infinity' display, AR...

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    A solid device I must say
    How did someone give this an 'informative' up vote? Did they think the phone might have been liquid?
    In the context of a post that is 100% personal opinion, some are known to vote "informative" in a somewhat sarcastic sense (especially since the "Dislike" button was taken off the table a while back).  Not saying I do that, just observing.
    watto_cobraanalogjack
  • Reply 62 of 92
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    sog35 said:
    these clowns at Samsung even copied the marketing name from Apple -- the "Plus". really? is that the only possible nomenclature for a larger size? pathetic.

Another uninformed person who thinks only Apple manufactures phones and everyone else just copies "everything" including the naming of devices. Please read my earlier comment.

So you think Samsung "copied" the plus naming convention from Apple??? Samsung is using Plus in naming their devices for many years already. Samsung SII plus was released in 2013 - just to give an example. There are MANY more Samsung phones with plus naming convention, much before iPhone 6 plus came in late 2014. In fact, Samsung releases so many phones with so many names every year, it is very difficult to come up with a new name which does not have any resemblance to any of the existing Samsung phones. You can accuse ANY OEM of copying name from Samsung phones blindly and it would not be far off from the truth. To claim that Samsung is copying name from Apple is - pure ignorance and lack of knowledge.

Samsung never used PLUS on their flagships until after the iPhone 6 Plus.
    So you are pointing out that Apple is copying Samsung's second and third tier Naming.    Well that makes Apple look brilliant.
    brucemc
  • Reply 63 of 92
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    My initial impression is this new Samsung phone is 2-3 years ahead of where the latest iPhone is. The features I like the most are when the device is able to recognize real world objects, and then offer the option to purchase those objects, when the phone can connect to a monitor, keyboard and mouse, and 5 hours of use with a 5 minute charge.

I have been anti-Samsung for years, but will switch to Samsung in 2018 if:

1. The iPhone doesn't compete this Fall in looks, and the above noted features

2. The iPhone doesn't physically connect to a "dummy" laptop, and then offer a similar experience to macOS (windows, file hierarchy, etc.)

3. Samsung releases a device with their own OS. I refuse to use the Android OS where almost everything done on the phone is tracked by Google, and where OS updates are rare

4. The Samsung phone doesn't explode on an airplane
    Samsung is going to stick with Android on their S8.  
    Enjoy your iPhone - you may be able to buy a OLED screen version for $1000 plus.
    IOS isn't getting a file system anytime  soon (unless they surprise us with the file system on the new iPADPRO).
    Samsung will be impressive if they can actually make Bixby Useful and in some ways better than SIRI.

The real missing feature from the S8 is a dual Camera setup to compete with the 7plus, and 7Splus.    The camera performance is much more important than the headphones and because of that the S8 will not beat the 7Plus, 7Splus.   

In my personal opinion the S8plus is too big.    But the Note 7 did come out with one feature that I wish Apple had.   The ability to free hand jot a note on the screen when it was locked and it would stay there.    Much faster than getting into an app to enter info

brucemc
  • Reply 64 of 92
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Does it really matter if Apple copy an Apple imitator who copied Apple patent idea? Oh wait, it does when Samsung fans keep telling themselves how innovative Samsung is when half of the idea are coming straight from Apple's design lab.
    irelandwatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 65 of 92
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    To use samsung pay you still need to use the finger print scanner, despite it's unintuitive location. It shows that samsung will actually produce whatever is rumoured to be coming out of apple - even if they don't possess the technology to make the design change seamless (or even logical, since it would have made sense to just put the fingerprint reader somewhere within easy reach when using the device.)
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMacbrucemc
  • Reply 66 of 92

Interesting, that the marriage with google appears to be not a happy one.

I think the marriage is almost over. This seems like the trial separation phase.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 92
    mac_128 said:
    Though it remains to be seen how effective iris/facial recognition technology is for security, moving the fingerprint scanner to the rear of the phone makes sense if the former is not only reliable, but better security (all of which remains to be seen), as it encourages users to use it rather than fumble around on the back of the phone to unlock it the old way, yet still gives them the option as a failsafe.
    Samsung said the face unlock feature is more about convenience than security. Regardless, having the fingerprint scanner on the rear is terrible. It's too close to the camera lens so I'm sure many people will be touching the camera lens by mistake. 

There are rumors that Apple will move the scanner to the rear in the iPhone 8/ X/ Pro.

Grain of salt and all that.

• Reply 68 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    First look—on a curve:

Still has camera bump, doesn't call it less of a bump in video preview, says there 'no camera bump'. Contracticts this in article below. Says top and bottom bezels are gone; they are not gone. Doesn't mention pervasive rumour about some phones this year coming including the impending iPhone 8 that may get fingerprint scanner in display itself. Mentions, but I think tries to sugarcoat and gloss over just how backward and stupid the rear fingerprint design is (right beside and also 'in the same bloody shape' as camera lens). Uses Note 7 fiasco to excuse the obvious smaller battery he got than he was expecting. For me the Note 7 fiasco and how it was first covered up and subsequently repeatedly mishandled for months and in a very dangerous manner completely tarnishes the Samsung brand. Can Samsung even be trusted with something as simple as device safety any longer?? Doesn't get a mention. Phone fires on plane months after major issue was covered up and minimised?? Ah, that was last year. Doesn't even mention the obvious fact that no one with half a brain would give their Iris-scan or face-scan to Samsung. Excuses barely improved camera.

I'd be willing to bet on two things here: 1. the build quality he describes is an exaggeration and 2. If this phone was iPhone 8 this first impressions video of his would be significantly more negative. Including even the inclusion of a headphone jack as a knock against Apple. You just know that's how it'd go. The Verge loves to grade Android phones on a curve. Dieter has no shame.
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 92
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Now they'll be in a position to sue Apple back for removing their home button in the 8. They'll be like, showing pictures of iPhones before and after they removed the home button, lol..
    That edge screen though, is just such a strange invention to cling on to.
    Great specs though. I actually doubt that Apple is going to match the low light camera performance and the high resolution screen.
    The problem with edge to edge displays is how to hold the device without touching the screen. At least with phones with a home button, you had this safe zone where you could hold it. But on windows phones and stuff, the chin of the phone is a touch zone anyways, so perhaps it's working fine.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 153member
    Akamine said:
    I had to use a Samsung for one year. It was expensive, but looked cheap. And unreliable. So, no. Samsung never again. 
    it's actually a cheap phone, imagine a refurbished Note 7 with a new screen design.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I can't see Apple ever moving the finger print reader to the rear:   That would make it awkward for using Apple Pay terminals.   Samsung/Google don't seem to use NFC that much, so to them it may not matter...
  • Reply 72 of 92
    The article and all these 75 comments miss possibly the single most important difference between the Samsung and the IPhone:
    No Samsung phone can access Apple's infrastructure, ecosystem.  Nor is it likely that they will ever be able to duplicate it -- at least as long as they use Google's OS.

It is impossible to list all the myriad features of the ecosystem -- but things like its seamless switching between devices, always current OS, and the security and stability that it offers come to mind.   Those are things that make an IPhone stand out and stand alone -- the real reasons why it "just works".

Meanwhile, Samsung will continue to roll out their latest and greatest hardware gadget -- and even Apple users will be dazzled by its shiny chrome bumpers and speculate if the next IPhone will have shiny chrome bumpers too.

• Reply 73 of 92
    GeorgeBMac said:
    I can't see Apple ever moving the finger print reader to the rear:   That would make it awkward for using Apple Pay terminals.

It's an exceedingly dumb design. You can tell they are guessing. Never mind, if iPhone ships with scanner is display you'll see articles such as "as this enough to save the iPhone" and Samsung will just rip off the design the following year. The courts have proven themselves pretty inept and Samsung will rake in billions as time moves along. It's not even the money they make that bother's me, it's the lack of honour, restraint and respect. The tastelessness of their entire operation; how inhuman it all is.
    edited March 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 74 of 92

The article and all these 75 comments miss possibly the single most important difference between the Samsung and the IPhone:
    No Samsung phone can access Apple's infrastructure, ecosystem.
    While that's important to me and you, most of the world doesn't care. They just want their camera and emails and Facebook and Snapchat and texts, payments, calls and all that jazz. Design still has a value though, which is nice to know about the world.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 75 of 92
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    No Samsung phone can access Apple's infrastructure, ecosystem.  Nor is it likely that they will ever be able to duplicate it -- at least as long as they use Google's OS.

It is impossible to list all the myriad features of the ecosystem -- but things like its seamless switching between devices, always current OS, and the security and stability that it offers come to mind.   Those are things that make an IPhone stand out and stand alone -- the real reasons why it "just works".

Meanwhile, Samsung will continue to roll out their latest and greatest hardware gadget -- and even Apple users will be dazzled by its shiny chrome bumpers and speculate if the next IPhone will have shiny chrome bumpers too.

And that's likely why Apple will always be in the minority position in the market. The minute Apple becomes the dominant player, all the others will call foul in much the same way other browser developers did in the 1990s about Microsoft's bundling practices. Android will demand access to Apple's ecosystem integration which otherwise shuts out the competition by virtue of its monopoly. Apple couldn't be happier serving its minority cult of adoring customers and earning the largest, and well deserved margins on its products over all other competition.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    ireland said:

No Samsung phone can access Apple's infrastructure, ecosystem.
    While that's important to me and you, most of the world doesn't care. They just want their camera and emails and Facebook and Snapchat and texts, payments, calls and all that jazz. Design still has a value though, which is nice to know about the world.
    Rather than saying that they (the average user -- the grandma, the garbage man, etc..)  'don't care':  I think it more accurate to say that they 'don't know'.  And that is by design.   Those are backroom systems that support Apple Products to "just work".

But, I expect more from the media and commenters on forums such as this.  Particularly the media:  they're understatements are underwhelming and dangerous.  

For example:  media reporting is one of the main reasons (perhaps THE reason) why Windows won out over OS2 even though OS2 was far superior to Windows in every way...  The media would compare the two products -- but only talk about those features that both shared in common and ignore or marginalize those features where OS2 was a standout.   I see the same going on today comparing a Samsung phone to an IPhone:   Which has more pixels?   Simply comparing like hardware features is like comparing an American Flyer wagon to a Porsche:   they both have 4 wheels but those on the Porsche are much heavier...
  • Reply 77 of 92
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    these clowns at Samsung even copied the marketing name from Apple -- the "Plus". really? is that the only possible nomenclature for a larger size? pathetic.

Another uninformed person who thinks only Apple manufactures phones and everyone else just copies "everything" including the naming of devices. Please read my earlier comment.

So you think Samsung "copied" the plus naming convention from Apple??? Samsung is using Plus in naming their devices for many years already. Samsung SII plus was released in 2013 - just to give an example. There are MANY more Samsung phones with plus naming convention, much before iPhone 6 plus came in late 2014. In fact, Samsung releases so many phones with so many names every year, it is very difficult to come up with a new name which does not have any resemblance to any of the existing Samsung phones. You can accuse ANY OEM of copying name from Samsung phones blindly and it would not be far off from the truth. To claim that Samsung is copying name from Apple is - pure ignorance and lack of knowledge.

Semantics
  • Reply 78 of 92
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

sog35 said:

What about S2 plus? It was launched in Feb-2013, solid 1.5 years before iPhone 6 plus. Of course, it was NOT flagship at that point in time (S3 was), but an ex-flagship with Plus added to its name. Again, how does that matter, when we are talking about "copying" the naming convention - flagship or not?

If anything, it was apple who copied the Plus naming convention from Samsung. Not that it matters even a bit (because it is damn difficult due to Samsung's stupidity of releasing thousands of phones with different names), but accusing a company of copying something while the truth was the other way around is just not fair.

Was the S2 "plus" used to designate a larger sized model, or an update to an older version?

Also, I can play this game as well -- Apple was using the Plus moniker in its product naming schemes decades before Samsung:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_Plus
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Plus

...that's 34 years before the S2 Plus. Oops.
    Those aren't phones though. Failure at playing the game. 
    singularitygatorguy
  • Reply 79 of 92
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Looks like a great device! Now, sans explosions and betraying partners and customers, I expect it should be a significant product. SS now only needs to create attractive apps and services which are actually worth the money.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    brakken said:
    Looks like a great device! Now, sans explosions and betraying partners and customers, I expect it should be a significant product. SS now only needs to create attractive apps and services which are actually worth the money.
    Maybe they could partner with Apple and use their apps and services?
    ...  Or, people could just buy Apple's phones instead of the Samsung's flashy gimmicks.