Apple Mail engineering manager heads to Readdle to work on Spark email client

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    If you think Mail.app sucks, tried the latest gmail from Google, it's a real nightmare! Mail is at least still uncluttered and delightfully easy to use with its simple and clean interface. Also, never crashed on me despite using it everyday for the last 10 years.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 22 of 27
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    cali said:
    Mail does indeed suck. And it's not just lacking features. It crashes so much I've given up sending crash reports. Just please don't make it Outlook Jr. Hopefully they replace this guy with someone how actually cares about mail.
    You guys must not be talking about the iOS app correct?
    because that one never crashes and is great.
    I suspect AppleBrighter is Samsung fans who came here to troll judging from his/her history (or lack of).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Mail tends to hang, sometimes crash, and its search does not always work. I still keep using it. 
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 24 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    jido said:
    Mail tends to hang, sometimes crash, and its search does not always work. I still keep using it. 
    Yes, I have tried other apps and always returned. Having to restart the app, or god forbid restart my Mac once a month is something I can live with ;)
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Considering that Spark works well and Apple Mail sucks like a Dyson, I am not sure this is a good thing for Spark.

It is possible he is a good guy stuck in a Tim Cook Apple that gives not a flip about Macs that finally had enough or whose stock options matured...
  • Reply 26 of 27
    jrg_ukjrg_uk Posts: 64member
    paxman said:
    Out of curiosity - what issues do people have with Mail?
    The MacOS version frequently fails to correctly update my (IMAP) mail servers with the messages I've read or deleted. This is the most unbelievably frustrating thing. 

iIs local caches don't seem to get updated based upon local mail operations, only when it gets a confirmation back from the server - move some emails, or delete them, then switch mailbox folder and return. They'll show up again, until the data is resynchronised with the server. Search for something after you've deleted it, and it may also still show up. 

These me are such fundamental problems, and they seem to have only got worse through successive versions. 

The iOS version would seem to be a completely different code base. It seems to do a better job with its IMAP server handling.