Analysts claim True Tone technology will be included in both 'iPhone 7s' and 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2017
The next generation of iPhones may include True Tone technology, a research note from Barclays analysts claims, suggesting the 'iPhone 7s,' the 'iPhone 7s Plus,' and the 'iPhone 8' will have the same ambient light sensing feature as used on the 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

All three expected iPhones will use a full spectral sensing ambient light sensor to change the color of the screen, the researchers suggest in a note provided to AppleInsider. Sensors will apparently be sourced from AMS of Austria, and will be embedded into the LCD displays of the "iPhone 7s" refresh, and the OLED screen of the "iPhone 8."

True Tone, introduced with the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, alters the color of the display depending on the color and brightness of the light in the surrounding area. While normal ambient light sensors only measure and alter the brightness, True Tone uses sensors that can detect the color of light in the local environment, which is then used to adjust the colors emitted by the display.

When moving between rooms or changing light sources, users typically notice the display of the device they are using change from when they last saw it, such as becoming more blue when moved into a room where orange light is being used, even if the display hasn't changed any settings at all. By monitoring and adjusting for nearby light sources, the True Tone display minimizes this apparent change from being perceived by the user.

So far, Apple has yet to bring True Tone to another device than the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, but it has expressed an interest in using the technology in other displays. There have yet to be any other rumors suggesting True Tone will appear in the next generation of iPhones, but it is still entirely possible for the feature to make an appearance when the smartphones are unveiled later this year.

Expected to arrive in September, the 4.7-inch iPhone 7s and the 5.5-inch iPhone 7s Plus are believed to include the "A11" processor, glass backs, a possible RAM upgrade for the Plus model to 3 gigabytes, and an improved version of Siri.

The higher-specification iPhone 8 is rumored to use a 5.1-inch OLED screen instead of LCD, a curved glass back with a stainless steel chassis, wireless charging, fast charging, and a dual lens camera. A major change for this anniversary model is said to be the removal of the physical Home button, replaced instead by a software version, and with Touch ID embedded within the display instead.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I'm not sure why this is important for the iPhone, except that more and more users are opting for them as replacements for the iPad? In which case, you'd think Apple would reserve it exclusively for the iPad. Of course, once a customer sees how it works on their iPhone, maybe that will motivate them to upgrade their old iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    Is True Tone always on, something that can be turned off? I can image that artists and graphic designers would not prefer to have the apparent colors in their projects shifting from one location to another, even though the RGB or CMYK values are not changing.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    "iPhone 7s Plus are believed to include the "A11" processor, glass backs, a possible RAM upgrade for the Plus model to 3 gigabytes"

Doesn't the iPhone 7 Plus already have 3gb of RAM? I have it myself and thought it was upped to 3gb because of the dual cameras? ,
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Glass backs on the 7s/7s Plus? Doubtful...I think that's going to be reserved for iPhone 8/Edition.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    larz2112 said:
    Is True Tone always on, something that can be turned off? I can image that artists and graphic designers would not prefer to have the apparent colors in their projects shifting from one location to another, even though the RGB or CMYK values are not changing.
    You can turn it off in the Settings.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    larz2112 said:
    As I understand it True Tone prevents the apparent colors from changing from location to location. Artists would like that. 
  • Reply 7 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    larz2112 said:
    But this is something designers have to perform manually otherwise. I think it would be big time saver and it would be great if something like this was built into the next iMac.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jd_in_sb said:
    larz2112 said:
    As I understand it True Tone prevents the apparent colors from changing from location to location. Artists would like that. 
    You should read this then:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10265/understanding-the-97-ipad-pros-true-tone-display
  • Reply 9 of 15
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    jd_in_sb said:
    larz2112 said:
    Not really, no.

When color matters, you want colors to be consistent, not shifting because the light in the room changed.

I'm not an artist, but I do work with some of them.  This is a bug, not a feature, for an artist.

As for me, it sounds like it would be almost as annoying as that awful Night Shift bug where colors go all wonky at night.  It's not hard to fix, just flip a setting, but it's really disconcerting when it happens.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    larz2112 said:
    I can image that artists and graphic designers would not prefer to have the apparent colors in their projects shifting from one location to another
    Isn’t that exactly what you’d want? Imagine being able to send just a paint color to a client to display on an iPad held up in the room they want painted. They can display it at any time of day to see how the ambient sunlight makes that color appear at that time.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    JaxxJaxx Posts: 1member
    "Is True Tone always on, something that can be turned off? I can image that artists and graphic designers would not prefer to have the apparent colors in their projects shifting from one location to another, even though the RGB or CMYK values are not changing."

TT can, as mentioned above, easily be turned off with a setting switch... but as an owner of the two iPad Pro models, as well as spending the last three decades working on/in the film/video production business - and spending those years with some of the better displays on the market/calibrating and grading/color work doing still and motion --- the iPad Pro's True Tone tech is actually both an excellent implementation of the first 'idea' as well as an exciting display - 'smart display' for artists and photographers/videographers and other creatives who rely on critical color components and display technology.

One of Apple's products' upsides of ubiquity is their color calibration out of the box. A link to Anandtech's iPad review earlier and a search of their site of iOS and OS X/macOS reviews will show a common denominator between all products from the iPhone and iPads to MacBook Pros and 5K iMacs... continually performing top shelf in objective display measurements. Other than the OLED contrast 'win' - Apple's managed to squeeze a helluva lotta life from LCD/LED technology as these displays are often the most accurate a user uses/has owned!

The iPad Pro 9.7" inclusion of True Tone isn't necessarily meant for Pixar's latest blockbuster and it's art, animation and color grading in post. But I enjoy the hell out of seeing near accurate representations of the artwork I'm looking at regardless of environment. Whether enjoying a movie or looking through Lightroom catalogs, reading/'seeing' news and publication stills or motion or just reviewing footage I've shot of the kids' baseball game. Easy to shut off but you'll turn it back on immediately ...and I definitely miss having it in the larger iPad Pro.

I believe Apple's implementation is just the genesis of 'Intelligent/smart' display technology, 'self healing' if you will. Always judging white balance in its environment and maintaining predetermined guidelines from user or OEM. 6500°K all the time or the ability to adjust to your heart... eye's content.

As we've seen over the decade and folks' sometimes appreciation of over saturated colors and cameras vs the 'natural' skin and nature tones in post we've all, as professionals, been taught to adhere to ...and then there's the artistic 'angle' and filtering for effect e.g. 'Traffic' or time specific films like 'Fury'. Out of camera those shots look nothing like what we see on the big screen or DVD/BluRay.

Color is definitely subjective in how folks perceive them, which their favorite is, or gloss/matte BUT color is easily measured objectively as well and Apple's display technology has always remained top shelf and before leaving the factory, individually calibrated to their exacting standards. Beyond color, the grayscale, brightness, contrast, reflectance (lack of smokes all display makers in mobile!), as well as white point, saturation seeps and color space standards - True Tone along with Night Shift - both meant as technologies of consumption - not creation - are special and IMHO, amazing 'small things' that make the iPad Pro a special 'slab' easily unnoticed by those who don't own and haven't experience with the technology. Simple. As a means of paying my mortgage and kids' college tuition - color exacting has been a large process in my career - and one, I might add, still imperfect using today's display limitations... has never been as good, as close to gamma and color reproduction perfection as we've ever been ...and for most, it's not their NEC $10,000 grading P3 monitor at home with the closest accuracy but their iPhone, iPad, MacBook or their iMac.

There's a couple Android OEMs also providing well calibrated devices ...including Samsung but like Windows, without consistent color management OS wide, Android itself is to blame but not unreasonably, as it's open sourced and like .windows, up to the OEM's decision to correctly use the OS, not their own 'Cinema' 'Vivid' 'Photo' and 'Default' skinned values - leaving the user clueless as to which is accurate!

My penny,
    Jaxx

PS - Night Shift, while reading in the dark is also an amazing feature. Easier on the eyes. Infinitely adjustable with a slider, not predetermined selections - one can slide from a near perfect 6504°K to as low a degree (warmer is lower on the Kelvin color scale, or more 'yellow' -- cooler is higher in value, with more 'blue' cast)
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 12 of 15
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    darkvader said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    larz2112 said:
    Not really, no.

When color matters, you want colors to be consistent, not shifting because the light in the room changed.

I'm not an artist, but I do work with some of them.  This is a bug, not a feature, for an artist.

As for me, it sounds like it would be almost as annoying as that awful Night Shift bug where colors go all wonky at night.  It's not hard to fix, just flip a setting, but it's really disconcerting when it happens.
    White balance and color balance depends 100% on the environment. That's why you have god damn calibrated monitors and and caps on your monitors.
    Then having this image being broadcast in the most abhorent circumstances (bad lighting) won't give you the right sound anymore than a sound system that's doesn't take care of room acoustics in playback.

If you're under a greenish light (like a fluorescent), how the frack will it be consistent if your screen turns out greenish because of reflected light.
    This corrects for the tonality coming from the room, insuring the person seeing the image is not impacted by viewing conditions.

That's like a profile that reflects viewing conditions, just like there is a profile that reflects the monitor transmitting under neutral lighting (that's what the calibration is all about).

Are you sure you even know an artist, seems your just bullshitting.

• Reply 13 of 15
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    foggyhill said:

Could you not have offered your alternative viewpoint without this unnecessary unpleasantness at the end?

mac_128
  • Reply 14 of 15
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    houseley said:
    foggyhill said:

Could you not have offered your alternative viewpoint without this unnecessary unpleasantness at the end?

No. I;m tired of the lying, seemingly people can just run their mouth all day long lie, and lie and lie, and no pushback... Well not from me.
    I'm sick of it, from the president on down.
    tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    foggyhill said:
    No. I;m tired of the lying, seemingly people can just run their mouth all day long lie, and lie and lie, and no pushback... Well not from me. I'm sick of it
    Good for you. Never stop fighting.
    watto_cobrabestkeptsecret