Intel 'Cannon Lake' Core processor suitable for MacBook Pro, iMac likely delayed, could sl...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    brucemc said:
    Soli said:

sog35 said:
    Why does this even matter?  The PC market means nothing. Its shrinking every year. 

Look 10 years in the future. Do you see the PC market growing? HELL NO. 

The future is iPad/iPhone/Wearbles. That's where Apple will invest in.
    So because one area of Apple's business is more popular than another Apple should drop it? Brilliant¡ 

In the first three months of their 2017 calendar they sold 5.3 million Macs for a revenue and profit in the billions. Do you even know how much that would hurt AAPL if that were to vanish because, as you put it, "the PC market means nothing"?

You sound just like asshat pundits, like John C. Dvorak, that said Apple should abandon the Mac because the iPod was so popular and growing.

PS: The iPad has been decreasing for years, so Apple should abandon that, too, according to your logic.
    Well, his usual hyperbole aside, there is a valid question about "how much" Apple would invest in the Mac line.  Does it include to the level of Apple's own A-Series designed into packages for the Mac, with the issues of moving to an ARM architecture?  Or will the investment be modest h/w enhancements with continuing s/w enhancements, but grounded in the Intel chipset?

I hope for the former, but am concerned it may the latter.

As for where Apple would focus more?  While the iPad has been dropping from its peak sales, there is some thought that this is mostly 7.9" Mini models, and that the 9.7" has remained pretty solid.  And even with the sales decline, the iPad installed base might be double the Mac already.  Apple certainly advertises the iPad more than the Mac.  On the question of investment priorities, it is not that the Mac line is dropped, it is just that it isn't invested in as the "future of computing".
    1) I hope that we see an Apple-design chip for the Mac. I would expect it to be called something other than A-series, since we're already at 4 different ARM-baed chips/SoCs/PoPs/SIPs (A-series, W-series, T-series, W-series). M-series?
    M is the motion coprocessor.  Not a major line, and has been incorporated into the A die, but still, makes more sense to choose a different letter.

Also you've got W twice ;)  You're missing the S series, which is in the Apple Watch.
    1) Thanks. I clearly forgot about the motion coprocessor.

2) Yes, S-series for Watch. So what what other naming conventions do you think they'd use, if any?
    No idea. There's 21 other letters, any one will do. Probably not X, because they've been using it as a suffix (A9X, etc).

C? Since it's the only letter in Mac not currently taken.
    Or I for Intel replacement? Probably not a great idea, also conjured memories of Itanium, and also Apple tends to use I for mobile things nowadays.
    P for power?

Doesnt really matter. 
  • Reply 62 of 65
    Tick tock Intel. Tick tock.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    grangerfx said:
    Tick tock Intel. Tick tock.

I think you mean "Tick tock tock tick(maybe?) definitely tock, then we'll see what happens after that."
    tallest skil
  • Reply 64 of 65
    Hi guys, I'm from AnandTech. Would like to share something.
    Rumor: Cannon Lake's iGPU is twice as big as Kaby Lake's

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/intel-skylake-kaby-lake-thread.2428363/page-388#post-38836966

The 15W version suitable to lighter Macbooks packs 48 Execution Units per SiSoftware, while Broadwell/Skylake/Kaby Lake had 24 EUs.