Patent applications show Apple has considered adding Touch Bar to Magic Keyboard

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    Soli said:
    macgui said:
    The Touch Bar has yet to be fully embraced and exploited by devs. I think it's a great idea and I'd be interested in one, but it would have to have illuminated keys. That is first and foremost for me.

I've got a couple of Apple Al extended, wired keyboards. One is  only used for troubleshooting as it's neigh impossible to get a BT keyboard to boot into the Startup Manager. The other is my main Mac's keyboard. 

I have wireless keyboards but they're only used when I'm not at the desk and using my Mac as my TV. At those times I don't need a bulky extended keyboard and especially not a 10-key.
    1) What level of "embrace" do you think should happen in less than 6 months since its been available and when it probably accounts for less than 1% of all Macs being used?

2) It seems like every major app I use has "embraced" it, include Abode and Microsoft, who have typically taken years to catch up, but that's not a surprise considering how easy Apple has made it.

3) Remember when you consider the Touch Bar you're also talking about Touch ID and Apple Pay as these are parts of the bar, and it's all controlled by Apple's T1-series chip that runs its own version of OS X. I think that's pretty amazing and not a willy nilly decision by Apple or, as @k2kw ;puts it, "a gimmick."
    The bar with the dynamic buttons is the gimmick.   The could has put the TouchId button on the pros by itself.   I would be happy to pay for that.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,442member
    mike1 said:
    Geez. I'd be happy with a wireless extended keyboard.
    i've had one for years. third parties make them. mine is solar and never needs a charge. 
    If Apple or their partners do have the rumored screen with solar panel tech ready for production then a keyboard would make a great volume test case before using it on a high volume product like the iPhone. 
  • Reply 43 of 43
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,665member
    k2kw said:
    The bar with the dynamic buttons is the gimmick.   The could has put the TouchId button on the pros by itself.   I would be happy to pay for that.
    The Touch Bar is now fully supported by MainStage. This is functionality I could have used SO BADLY over the past three years, and now it's finally here — customisable buttons: Panic, tap tempo, master mute for the main output, sequence start/stop, all right where I want to put them. 

I'll be checking out how well it works in Logic in the next few weeks, but that won't be as relevant just yet because I use external keyboard and trackpad in the studio. 

I'm certainly rooting for an external keyboard with Touch Bar. It's way beyond "gimmick" status for my use. 
    Solimattinoz