Rumor: Integrating Touch ID into 'iPhone 8' display remains Apple's 'biggest bottleneck'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

So what’s wrong with a physical button that would actually let you get out of frozen software, again?
    Absolutely nothing, I personally think it is really, really dumb.
    its called progress.

People said the same thing about a physical keyboard on phones. Its time to move on
    Nah.
    Yes. Everything is going away from physical buttons. Because they break and take up valuable space.

There are physical buttons because software "breaks" sometimes. I'd hate to imagine what happens whens a software glitch would prevent access to the unlock function of a phone with no means to physically force a reset.
    edited April 2017 watto_cobrawaverboypscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 29
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    I wish there was another term that the tech reporting industry could choose besides the jargoney "flagship". Aside from being overused, the metaphor is stale and meaningless to most modern readers. I'd wager that fewer than 1% of AIs readers have even ever seen a military flagship. I'm sure AI can find a better descriptor for a brands top-tier product.

For hackneyed wording, FLAGSHIP ranks right down there with "a REVAMPED line",  "a BEVY of new models" and "SPORTING faster chips".
    They are collocations so probably well understood even if they haven't actually seen a real flagship.

People don't think twice when they hear 'flagship store' or even technically incorrect terms like 'LCD Display'.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    foggyhill said:
    I don't see the reader on the back as user unfriendly at all. If the phone is almost bezel-less then it has a smaller footprint so even someone with smaller hands can reach it. I have a phone exactly the same height as the S8 and my finger naturally rests on the back next to the camera but slightly closer to the edge. Not sure it's as comfy on the S8+ which is bigger
    Its moronic to fracking extreme. You lose an important function for another, if your willing to go for that idiotic tradeof, good for you.
    It's a question of preference. Mine is on the rear, centre placed right below the camera (which I never hit by accident). The scanner is a natural fit for my index fingers. I adore the rear placement and the scanner gestures.

You will find millions of people who prefer it on the rear. It's not moronic in the slightest.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    avon b7 said:
    foggyhill said:
    I don't see the reader on the back as user unfriendly at all. If the phone is almost bezel-less then it has a smaller footprint so even someone with smaller hands can reach it. I have a phone exactly the same height as the S8 and my finger naturally rests on the back next to the camera but slightly closer to the edge. Not sure it's as comfy on the S8+ which is bigger
    Its moronic to fracking extreme. You lose an important function for another, if your willing to go for that idiotic tradeof, good for you.
    It's a question of preference. Mine is on the rear, centre placed right below the camera (which I never hit by accident). The scanner is a natural fit for my index fingers. I adore the rear placement and the scanner gestures.

You will find millions of people who prefer it on the rear. It's not moronic in the slightest.
    Well bully for you, I'm happy for you. I'm also pretty happy to bet the vast majority of iPhone users would view it as a kludge that removes a convenience we have come to rely on. And yes...a moronic move. 
    Another thing. A backside centrally_placed sensor almost demands that you use the index finger, since as you say it's "...a natural fit". That sort of predictable social engineering is easily exploited. And yes, you will find millions of non-iPhone users will be similarly compromised. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    trust me, it's not that user friendly. I've tried it. It's unnatural. 
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 29
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I agree with someone who said that putting the TouchID button at the back would deny him or her access without lifting up the phone. It's a dumb tradeoff, IMHO. Why should we take 2 steps for something that can be done easily with 1 step as per right now with iPhone 7? Apple is for user experience, and I don't see them copying Samsung for that one just because edge-to-edge screen. It's either they found the way to implement TouchID on display screen or there would not be 100% edge-to-edge.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    So what’s wrong with a physical button that would actually let you get out of frozen software, again?
    jbdragon said:
    There will be no iPhone 8, or 7s for that matter. I think Apple is dropping numbers all together!!! Why does there need to be a number?
    I said that six years ago, yet here we are. The iPhone 15s will be out in 2033.

I just going ahead and assuming you actually did the math!
  • Reply 28 of 29
    frac said:
    avon b7 said:
    foggyhill said:

Well bully for you, I'm happy for you. I'm also pretty happy to bet the vast majority of iPhone users would view it as a kludge that removes a convenience we have come to rely on. And yes...a moronic move. 
    Another thing. A backside centrally_placed sensor almost demands that you use the index finger, since as you say it's "...a natural fit". That sort of predictable social engineering is easily exploited. And yes, you will find millions of non-iPhone users will be similarly compromised. 
    Of course, a vast majority of iPhone users still equates to a minority of smartphone users and no iPhone has ever had rear scanner so many of those users may never have had the opportunity to use on. As I said, it all boils down to preference but the people who describe the rear placement as stupid really have nothing really credible to base their claims on.

Social engineering is another non credible reason. Index finger is convenient, yes. Just as it is for iPhone users. 

Having to pick up the phone to use the scanner is also not very credible. If you have to use your hand anyway (because that's where your finger is) to unblock it, it's probably because you probably want to do something with the phone. In that case it's better off in your hand. If all you want to do is check the screen, you can press the side button to see the screen.

If you have the phone in some kind of holder you probably have the phone unblocked already (sat nav etc).

The real point is that if it were such a moronic idea manufacturers would have returned to front scanners but that hasn't been the case.
    edited April 2017