Rumor: Apple TV to get multi-user support, picture-in-picture with 'tvOS 11'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    fishbert said:
    Is anybody even asking for multi-user support on Apple TV?
    Been waiting for multi-user support on iPad for 7 years.

No, I have not, but ATV is not my primary content viewing method. However, this is a required feature these days. I can tell you this, the wife, kids and I use to go at it on the computer, because we like our user environment completely differently. When Apple added multi-users on the Mac it save our family, than I bough each kid their own laptop to keep them of the main computer. The reason we have not seen it on IOS devices, one they tend to be a very personal device, not share all that often. Yeah know some parent babysit the kid with their personal IOS devices, the other reason is resources like memory, it takes lots of memory to have different users account. Apple would have to say it only works on certain devices and limit the number of account.

I already got into with the family with Netflix, until that added different user profiles, I was tried of seeing my kids viewing choice in my suggest shows for me base on their view habits. If we switch to the ATV for our primary view method I could see it becoming a problem if it does not have user profiles.

• Reply 22 of 29
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Could they just update the netflix client on the "short" appletv?... i have 2 appletv's that i can not watch a single complete tv episode or movie without getting a Spinning disc...  my PS4 has no problem with netflix ( I really doubt it's the Internet )

i was thinking about buying the newest apple tv, but without a 4K ability i will wait.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    spice-boy said:
    I can imagine multi-user accounts would be great for some people although I would not really need it. I still hold out hope that Apple will sooner rather than later bring live TV bundles or a la carte to Apple TV. The day they do I can get rid of the 100 plus channels I don't watch and must pay for. 
    We left DirecTV after 20+ years and never looked back.  Running Playstation VUE on our AppleTV and it's close to what I always hoped Apple would do. Even (my) cheapskate level of buy-in allows 3 screens - in our case 4K upscaling TV in LR, my iPad and whatever my father-in-law is using in his 5th wheeler when he isnt in the guesthouse.  Otherwise, he's Fire stick into the GH set - until the next-gen ATV comes out and he inherits our current version.

Not so incidentally, Sony did a decent job with their GUI.  More categories than I need; but, that what makes a discussion.  Switch forth-and-back between Harmony 650 and ATV remote for FF and RW...and both their Cloud DVR and On Demand run fine.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The should use touch ID on the Apple TV and switch the whole environment with that, much simpler than typing a pin, or having unsecured users without passwords, which people often do because of the hastle of logging into accounts.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    How about a grid of images for your Computer library instead of a list of text? That would do wonders for accessibility for the disabled. I’m thinking about having to jailbreak my 2nd gen (can the 3rd be yet?) to try to find a different UI…
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 26 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    foggyhill said:
    The should use touch ID on the Apple TV and switch the whole environment with that, much simpler than typing a pin, or having unsecured users without passwords, which people often do because of the hastle of logging into accounts.
    So...you're saying we will see a new Siri remote with the fingerprint sensor in it, much like the new iPhone is now rumored to have a main screen touchID element?
  • Reply 27 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    marktime said:
    After years of owning AppleTVs I am still frustrated by the friction in switching from one "channel" to another. AppleTV is great for long-lasting sessions such as watching Netflix or streaming movies off my media server but trying to bounce back and forth from live streams on CNN to MSNBC to NBC is an exercise in frustration. You would think that Apple could come up with some "favorites" mechanism that could go directly from one favorite stream to another instead of my having to continuously navigate through each channel's menutree as I switch from one to another.

I won't even dwell on the propensity of each App/channel to forget that I'm signed in and require me to re-authenticate yet again with my service provider.

It seems that Apple still is not applying "it just works" type product improvements to AppleTV.
    1) Live streams? Ew. To each their own tho...to quickly switch between channels, double-tap the Home button on the remote, and swipe to your previous app(s). It's not as fast as broad cast television channel switching, but IMO the ATV model is more about on-demand viewing habits, where you're likely to park it a duration of time.

2) app authentication is managed by the app provider. some providers, like Showtime, don't know what they're doing and fail to cache your authenticated state properly, forcing one to constantly re-authenticate. other app providers, like HBO, do this properly.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 28 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    If they do then Family Accounts should become a pseudo-users as well. Shared content should be accessible without switching spaces.