Availability of Apple's 12.9" iPad Pro slips to May as rumored update looms

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2017
Possibly shedding some light on an anticipated refresh, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro stock situation appears to be dwindling, with nearly no stock of popular models in high-volume stores, and an expected refresh date across the board of May 16.

Spot-checks of 20 Apple Retail stores show decreasing stock levels or no stock at all at retail, with the least expensive models, the 32-gigabyte with Wi-Fi and 128-gigabyte with LTE models, most profoundly impacted Apple Retail-wide. No guidance has been issued to stores as of yet on the declining stock levels.

One Apple Store staffer we spoke with said that it had "been a while" since they had any 12.9-inch iPad shipments at all, and they had been without the 32-gigabyte Wi-Fi only model for "a few weeks, now."

Additionally, the Apple online store is completely sold out of the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Regardless of what model is chosen online, delivery time is listed as 2-3 weeks.

It is unclear if this is an anomaly related to overseas shipment of production, or an indication of a looming refresh. Similarly, in late February, all 12.9-inch iPad Pro models showed estimated ship dates of 2 to 3 weeks. Additionally, Apple's in-store pickup option was pushed back from February 20, exactly four weeks to Mar. 20.

The stock shortages from late February rectified themselves the first week of March, with everything suddenly made available both online, and in-store. However last time, the depleted stock on the 32GB model at our polled retail stores hadn't existed for as long as it has this time.

An iPad Pro refresh in early 2017 was prognosticated last year, with an update to the 9.7-inch model, a new 10.5-inch version, and a refreshed 12.9-inch model. It is unclear if the rumor mill picked up on the 2017 iPad (also known as the fifth generation iPad) as part of the refresh, or if a 9.7-inch iPad Pro is coming.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    If Apple feels the iPad is the future of computing, then it would be fitting for new iPad Pros to be announced at the first event on the new Apple campus.
    tmayjkichline
  • Reply 2 of 15
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    This years launch rumours have had more twists than an agatha Christie ....I just hope they launch soon.  Feeling confident they would launch in March I sold my pro ready to upgrade and cursed everyday since!  

• Reply 3 of 15
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    If Apple feels the iPad is the future of computing, then it would be fitting for new iPad Pros to be announced at the first event on the new Apple campus.
    I guess... 

But I actually think that the future of computing is the ecosystem model that Jobs championed many years ago. That is, the future of computing is a range of interconnected devices, from the Apple Watch to the Mac Pro to a data center full of powerful servers, all working together. 

I see in the new campus a reflection of Jobs' ecosystem vision. It would be nice if the first introduction at the new campus was somehow connected to that larger ecosystem, rather than a single product. 

But whatevs. These days, any new non-iPhone product introduction is welcome. So if the best they can do is intro an updated iPad Pro, so be it -- I'll take what I can get. 
  • Reply 4 of 15
    virtua said:
    This years launch rumours have had more twists than an agatha Christie ....I just hope they launch soon.  Feeling confident they would launch in March I sold my pro ready to upgrade and cursed everyday since!  

My wife sold her Air 2 because I told her of the rumored iPad Pro refresh... well, Apple came out with the new iPad, but not the Pros yet -she wants a Pro. So she's been using the iPad Mini I have for my Red Weapon Helium to use with FoolControl.
    She really wants a Pro, so this can't come soon enough.
    It looks like she'll be waiting until after our European trip at the start of May...
  • Reply 5 of 15
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    I'm actually hoping the "delay" has allowed a next generation 10 nm node for the A series processor upgrade for the iPad Pro, and even more memory and storage.

• Reply 6 of 15
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Certainly would be odd to have an event so close to WWDC.
  • Reply 7 of 15

I just checked, and the norm is 4 weeks delivery for a Maxed 12.9" model...

That puts it at May 16th...

WWDC starts on June 5...

Much as I anticipate a new iPad Pro announcement, I doubt we'll see one before WWDC.

But, that could be a good thing... new iPad Pros, new iOS, new Swift (4.0?)... 

Hoping for a kb case with a trackpad/cursor capability on a new iPad Pro and the ability to run full Xcode.

• Reply 8 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Both me and my niece having been waiting on the refresh. I want a 12.9 (or whatever the larger iPad Pro size will be), and her, a 9.7 or 10.5 (whatever the Pro will be). I'm almost willing to get the 2015 iPad Pro 12.9 model if there were $150 discounts for it, but there's been frustratingly lack of discounts or deals for the 12.9. Lots of >$100 discounts for the 9.7 iPad Pro, basically nothing for the 12.9. What's up with that.

Still waiting. 128 GB, cellular, Pencil, Magic Keyboard, cases and covers. Going to cost me a bit. The rumor of the 10.5" having a new ID is troubling though. Hopefully the new ID makes it to the 12.9" if so.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member
    I have admit I have been "punked" by launch rumors more than once.  I do most of my business from my iPad Pro 12.9.  I gave my oldest son my iPad Pro in February because I was convinced the March release date rumor was accurate.  When April got here, I went out and bought a "new" 12.9 aka the same one I gave my son.  Limping along on a 9.7 Pro was fine for a while but as said I do almost all of my work from my iPad so the screen size actually matters to me.  That said, I have to be honest that the current generation of the 12.9 still meets my needs.  It doesn't have the color range of the 9.7 & the 9.7 have better cameras but the faster charging of the 12.9 is definitely more useful for me than either of those features.  

As I get older, I'm finding that y desire for the cutting edge tech is declining and more often I'm asking myself if what I have is capable of doing what I need it to do.  With regards to the refresh of the 12.9, my gut says don't hold your breath about that happening until the Sept/Oct 2017. I'd like to be wrong but the rumor mills has gone from March hype to dead silence and as "Tht" pointed out, the price of the 12.9 has not dropped in any meaningful way.  That suggests to me that Apple isn't in any hurry to clear out inventory just yet.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Still hoping they'll upgrade the iPad mini... :'(
  • Reply 11 of 15
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

I just checked, and the norm is 4 weeks delivery for a Maxed 12.9" model...

That puts it at May 16th...

WWDC starts on June 5...

Much as I anticipate a new iPad Pro announcement, I doubt we'll see one before WWDC.

But, that could be a good thing... new iPad Pros, new iOS, new Swift (4.0?)... 

Hoping for a kb case with a trackpad/cursor capability on a new iPad Pro and the ability to run full Xcode.

If the iPAd is the future of computing as I hope it is then Apple needs to bestow some major programming love on the iPad.  I would love trackPad/mouse (cursor) support.  But hopefully it's something maybe multiUser (family) support as rumored to be in update to AppleTV.

Apple has certainly done skimpier Announcement events (I'm thinking the TV app last fall) so hopefully there will be an event soon with the 3 hardwares (new ipadsPros, new 4K AppleTV,  and the refreshed MacPro - don't ignore the elephant in the room) and hopefully corresponding software updates.

• Reply 12 of 15
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Didn't we have this rumour a month or so back? Just before they released the 9.7" iPad (non-Pro)?

I'm interested in what they do with the 9.7" Pro, personally, but I also don't think they'll do an announcement before WWDC.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    k2kw said:
    ...hopefully there will be an event soon with the 3 hardwares (new ipadsPros, new 4K AppleTV,  and the refreshed MacPro...
    You want to wait another year for a new iPad?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    boredumb said:
    Still hoping they'll upgrade the iPad mini... :'(
    Same here. I've got a Mini 2 and want Touch ID. I may have to settle for a NOS Mini 4 from somewhere and probably won't be able to get an Apple leather case.

That's the one thing about iPad upgrades that ticks me off— Apple changing the size just enough so that I can't use my Mini 2's case on the 4. So I hope they upgrade the Mini.