EFF: Google Chromebook is still spying on grade school students

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Blunt said:
    LOL.... it's the over the top articles and hysterical comment section that makes me come here daily. I love this site! The site is so ridiculous that it actually does Apple a disservice. There's other wacky Apple fan sites, but this one is the best.

We love you. I mean we need clueless Fandroids. You should post a bit more.
    I don't own any Android products, but I do have an iPad and an iPhone. When I got my first iPad in 2011, I loved it and started coming to sites like this to learn more about it. I was shocked at how nasty and obnoxious the Apple users were. (Are Android users the same? I don't own any Android devices so I don't go to those sites).

Android fanboys are even worse in other forums. I do read GSMArena and AnandTech and I can confidently say that. Within that group you get a variety of them - A minority number of people with common sense, Samsung fanboys, Samsung haters, Sony fanboys, sony haters, apple fanboys, apple haters,  etc etc. It is real fun (and boring at the same time) reading those comments. To read 1 post with good information, you have to read 10 posts worth of non-sense.
    You aren't visiting Android fansites. Try an actual enthusiast site like Android Central. You might be surprised at how rational most of the posters are including compliments about competitor gear, particularly Apple. Many of them own devices on both Android and iOS.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    gatorguy said:
    Blunt said:
    LOL.... it's the over the top articles and hysterical comment section that makes me come here daily. I love this site! The site is so ridiculous that it actually does Apple a disservice. There's other wacky Apple fan sites, but this one is the best.

We love you. I mean we need clueless Fandroids. You should post a bit more.
    I don't own any Android products, but I do have an iPad and an iPhone. When I got my first iPad in 2011, I loved it and started coming to sites like this to learn more about it. I was shocked at how nasty and obnoxious the Apple users were. (Are Android users the same? I don't own any Android devices so I don't go to those sites).

Android fanboys are even worse in other forums. I do read GSMArena and AnandTech and I can confidently say that. Within that group you get a variety of them - A minority number of people with common sense, Samsung fanboys, Samsung haters, Sony fanboys, sony haters, apple fanboys, apple haters,  etc etc. It is real fun (and boring at the same time) reading those comments. To read 1 post with good information, you have to read 10 posts worth of non-sense.
    You aren't visiting Android fansites. Try an actual enthusiast site like Android Central. You might be surprised at how rational most of the posters are including compliments about competitor gear, particularly Apple. Many of them own devices on both Android and iOS.

Thanks for that info. Will check it out.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    TT2TT2 Posts: 1member
    You really can't even have this discussion about students' use of any technology in schools without discussing CIPA and COPA. The biggest issue here are those schools who don't understand these and are using 3rd party apps that are not compliant with either Supreme Court ruling. I work in a district with Microsoft PC's, Apple devices, and Chromebooks, so I'm not advocating for one device over others. It is how any of these devices are managed in a school environment that either protect or expose student information.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Did the author even read the study? It was based on a non randomized survey with follow up interviews and some opinions about privacy laws and regulation thrown in.

From eEF's "methods" section:

"Because we used a “snowball” sample and targeted interviews, our findings cannot be considered generalizable or representative. Instead, the survey results and case studies are meant to shed light on the human side of student privacy: the attitudes, perceptions, and types of individual concern and awareness that shape action around student privacy on the ground."

There's no way to draw the conclusion that grade school students are being spied on by google chromebook. The article was a completely biased piece due to the fact that Apple is getting it's lunch eaten by Google in K-12. 
    edited April 2017 gatorguyavon b7
  • Reply 45 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sockrolid said:
    Google. You just can't trust them.
    Don’t Be Evil.™

“...What? We’re the ones saying it... to you. We didn’t say anything about not being evil ourselves!”
  • Reply 46 of 46
    OVSurfClubOVSurfClub Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Klingon bastards
    never trusted ‘em 
    never will